Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422444 times)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4710 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:01 am »

I have a problem making my training workshops work. I've managed to create the building, the item needed and everything, but when my dwarves practice the skill it takes the reagent but doesn't actually increase my exp.

Building raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Item raws
Reaction raws
entity_default

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:43 am »

you can give them [SPEED:800] (lower is faster) or drop [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:1000:1050:1150:1250:1350:1550:1800] in the dogs file.

OK great, thanks.  Does that second one just increase range?  And is higher further?

Another quick question:  Is there any way to add the ability to train a random animal as war?  Have a ton of hunting Giant Bats, want some war ones too!  XD
The second one increases the natural agility skill (which determines overall speed) of the dogs. Each number range gets an equal number of the creature IIRC (so 1/6 have 1000-1050 agility, 1/6 have 1050-1150, etc.). The maximum is 5000 and the default "normal" agility is 1000.

As for training any animal for war, simply add [TRAINABLE_WAR] to their creature entry (or [TRAINABLE_HUNTING] for just hunting, or just add [TRAINABLE] to enable both).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:16 am »

you can give them [SPEED:800] (lower is faster) or drop [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:1000:1050:1150:1250:1350:1550:1800] in the dogs file.

OK great, thanks.  Does that second one just increase range?  And is higher further?

Another quick question:  Is there any way to add the ability to train a random animal as war?  Have a ton of hunting Giant Bats, want some war ones too!  XD
The second one increases the natural agility skill (which determines overall speed) of the dogs. Each number range gets an equal number of the creature IIRC (so 1/6 have 1000-1050 agility, 1/6 have 1050-1150, etc.). The maximum is 5000 and the default "normal" agility is 1000.

As for training any animal for war, simply add [TRAINABLE_WAR] to their creature entry (or [TRAINABLE_HUNTING] for just hunting, or just add [TRAINABLE] to enable both).

Thanks a lot.  Last question since I can't find a [SPEED] tag to compare:  Whats the default?  800?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: January 06, 2012, 12:47:56 am »

I believe it's 900.

Just so you know, NW_Kohaku explained it pretty well.

The way it works is that the game doesn't let most creatures act every single frame - an "average" creature acts only once every 10 frames.  In order to achieve this, there is a delay on every action that a creature takes. 

Basically, the hundreds digit and higher represent whole turns that are skipped just filling up the waiting counter until it reaches the point of their "speed".  "Speed" is a bit of a misnomer, actually, as it's really more "turn delay".

This is why most creatures have 900 speed - they are delayed 9 turns before they get their 1 turn of action, and have to wait for their delay counter to fill up before taking their next action.

A creature with 975 speed, meanwhile, (which is functionally where most dwarves fall, thanks to low agility) has to wait 9 turns, then rolls a random chance to see if it goes that turn or not - with a 75% chance of having to wait another turn. 

Agility acts as a multiplier on speed - if someone had only 400 speed/delay to begin with, and another creature had 900 speed/delay, then regardless of whether it was low or high agility, as long as they had the same amount of agility (and equipment), the 400 speed/delay creature would act twice as fast.  A creature with 0 speed/delay has no benefit or penalty from agility at all.

Max agility (5000) last time I checked (many versions ago) would basically halve the speed/delay of a creature, while 1 agility would basically multiply speed by about 1.7 times.  These numbers may be different by now, however.

Maybe this was altered in later versions, but when I tested it, weight seems to just add directly to the speed of a creature - a creature with very low speed is more noticably affected by encumberance than high speed creatures.

As of right now, speed/delay affects everything the same - movement, attacking, performing a job, they all take turns that are based entirely upon their effective speed (after all the other modifiers like agility and weight.) A dwarf's job might take 15 of his/her turns to complete, but if a dwarf is taking turns ten times as fast, then everything he/she does is suddenly 10 times faster, and will be done in just 15 frames, as opposed to 150 frames.

Toady has stated that he intends to make movement take up different amounts of time (or more likely, have different amounts of delay penalties) than actions like standard attacks or possibly special attacks (so that ramming someone or an overhead cleave takes up more time than just stabbing), and potentially, different actions may have their delay tied to different attributes, as well (so that movement and attack speed might potentially be based upon different attributes).

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: January 06, 2012, 01:18:26 am »

Thanks again :)

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: January 06, 2012, 02:18:50 am »

I'm currently working on a largeish mod, and I've run into a fairly severe problem. I'm currently working on extending the choices of ammunition for ranged weapons and such (Bodkin arrowheads, siege crossbows elven machineguns composite bows etc.)

During object testing, 10 humans equipped with wolf leather armour, leggind and high boots, armed with an oaken longbow and 200 steel BODKIN arrows, faced off against 10 humans equipped with wolf leather armour, leggind and high boots, armed with an oaken longbow and 200 steel BROADHEAD arrows. Archery and Armour Usage were set at Competent.

The battle started off with team 1 (The bodkin arrow users) firing a single volley at team 2. Team 2 then proceeded to walk forward and beat the everdwarfing booze out of team 1, without firing a single shot. Right now I'm worried about the fact that team 2 refused to use their arrows, rather than the fact that team 1 got splattered all over the walls.

Raws:
Longbow:
Bodkin Arrows
Broadhead Arrows

Anyone know whats causing this?

EDIT:
I have a problem making my training workshops work. *snip*

[REACTION:PRACTICE_COOK]
   [NAME:practice cook skill]
   [BUILDING:READING_LIBRARY_WORKSHOP:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOOK:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:0:0:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:100]
   [SKILL:COOK]
[/spoiler]

That should solve your problem
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:23:01 am by Raptor_a22 »
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4716 on: January 06, 2012, 03:23:30 am »

I have a problem making my training workshops work. I've managed to create the building, the item needed and everything, but when my dwarves practice the skill it takes the reagent but doesn't actually increase my exp.

Building raws
Item raws
Reaction raws
entity_default

There reaction *MUST* produce something to give XP, so you have to produce something. anything, just one.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: January 06, 2012, 03:34:07 am »

Yes, forgot about that. [PRODUCT_DIMENSION] controls how much xp a reaction is worth, if my memory serves me correctly.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4718 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:18 am »

Yes, forgot about that. [PRODUCT_DIMENSION] controls how much xp a reaction is worth, if my memory serves me correctly.
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION] is for multiplcation, Bars are 150 so if you said 1 you would get unsual results (More so with a [REACTION_CLASS] reagent) [PRODUCT_DIMENSION] just take the reagent/product number and X's it. so 2 X 150 = 300 or 2 bars. You could manually do the math and just say 300 bars for 2 and leave [PRODUCT_DIMENSION] right out.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:05 am »

well, looks like I was completely wrong on that. Anyone have any ideas with my arrow problem?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: January 06, 2012, 10:25:21 am »

Try a green glass crossbow as a final product. I'm pretty sure that's the one that didn't work out of my attempt to make crossbows and bolts out of clay and glass.
Either crossbows or bolts.

The reaction finishes and the dwarf gets experience, but the item doesn't exist.
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW::GLASS_GREEN:NONE]
or
[PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS:GLASS_GREEN:NONE]

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: January 06, 2012, 10:47:03 am »

Thanks, I'll just make my book require more wood and get a portion of it back.

@ Raptor - Did you enable the ammo in your Entity file?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:15 am »

how can i make cotton candy and slade to change places,so that the game would be more challenging?
I am a Goober.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:39 am »

I believe it's hardcoded in the game, so you can't change the position of it. However, you can remove adamantine all together or just remove the veins and let invaders use it. So the only way you're able to acquire it is to kill adamantine clad invaders.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4724 on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:39 am »

how can i make cotton candy and slade to change places,so that the game would be more challenging?

In inorganic_stone_mineral.txt:

Remove [DEEP_SPECIAL] from [INORGANIC:RAW_ADAMANTINE], and replace it with [DEEP_SURFACE].
Remove [DEEP_SURFACE] from [INORGANIC:SLADE], and replace it with [DEEP_SPECIAL].

That should cause you to get slade spires, and raw adamantine cavern floor in hell.  Of course, you'll never be able to get to hell, because it will be impossible to dig through the slade spires to get there.  This won't so much make the game more challenging as effectively remove adamantine and hell from the game completely.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 357