Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422462 times)

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4680 on: January 02, 2012, 02:38:48 pm »

So I was replacing the Dwarves with a race of humanoid reptiles, and I can't get the scales and eye colors to be random.
In the arena, they randomize fine, but in fortress mode every one of them has orange scales and tourqouise eyes. What exactly is wrong?

Raw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: January 02, 2012, 04:17:06 pm »

So I was replacing the Dwarves with a race of humanoid reptiles, and I can't get the scales and eye colors to be random.
In the arena, they randomize fine, but in fortress mode every one of them has orange scales and tourqouise eyes. What exactly is wrong?

That might mean it's working, actually. Members of the same civilization tend to have the same hair/eye/skin colors because of genetics (there's currently no form of "mutation" - you just lose variety over time). See if you can check a different civilization of them and see if their colors are different.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: January 02, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »

Does [SPEED] affect [TL_HEALING_RATE]?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: January 02, 2012, 04:50:54 pm »

No.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: January 02, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »

there's currently no form of "mutation" - you just lose variety over time
Time to breed aliens with green eyes and hair.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: January 03, 2012, 01:29:53 am »

Just a quick question before I forget to ask about it again:

Would it be possible to add in chess sets/tables that, when used by dwarves, trains intellect and/or military tactics? If so, how would I go about beginning this little modding endeavor?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4686 on: January 03, 2012, 01:47:56 am »

Absolutely.

Download Genesis and look into the building raws and the reaction raws. He as a chesstable in there, called human board game or something similar. And training workshops as well. Just take the reaction from the training workshops, and add it to the chessgame-building. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4687 on: January 03, 2012, 11:16:36 am »

Just a quick question before I forget to ask about it again:

Would it be possible to add in chess sets/tables that, when used by dwarves, trains intellect and/or military tactics? If so, how would I go about beginning this little modding endeavor?
Absolutely.

Download Genesis and look into the building raws and the reaction raws. He as a chesstable in there, called human board game or something similar. And training workshops as well. Just take the reaction from the training workshops, and add it to the chessgame-building. :)
Which those are Custom Workshops, with a Custom Reactions. So these little nuggets will lead you in the right direction
-How to make Custom Workshops/buildings

-How to make Custom Reactions

-Build Labor and Skill list
List of Skills
Spoiler: SKILLS (click to show/hide)

Now you might know some of these but I made this response general so others may get a nice walk in the right direction.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:06 am »

Many thanks for the skill list! Definitely useful. I must say, you guys are far more helpful than I expected. I should be an expert at modding in no time if I simply come here every time I can't figure something out.

Today, it's mentally stimulating chess tables. Tomorrow, evil robot civs!

(In a symbolic sense, not literally the day after this one)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: January 03, 2012, 12:28:38 pm »

Many thanks for the skill list! Definitely useful. I must say, you guys are far more helpful than I expected. I should be an expert at modding in no time if I simply come here every time I can't figure something out.

Today, it's mentally stimulating chess tables. Tomorrow, evil robot civs!

(In a symbolic sense, not literally the day after this one)
No problem, I figured karma. Help others and others might help me (at some point:P)
The build labors for buildings confuse me as to use a miner to make a building you use "MINE" not "MINER" and not "MINING"
I should probally Visit the Wiki to update my Notes (I hate having to switch between pages when I can have one file with all the tips and tags I need)

As for robots heheheh... Inorganic creatures are sooo much fun to make, but soo hard to perfect. You can have a simple humonoid (Iron men, magma men, etc..) or you can have it as complex as a real robot (wires that count as nerves, CPU brain, metal that heals, or must be set by a bone doctor to heal. So much)
I also plan on making a "Animal/Pet" overhaul which will allow all tissues to heal without medical attention (I never had a doctor heal a pet)

Also a advanced bone system for all creatures (sapient and animal) where a breaking a bone in the arm and leg stops the use of the limb (like RL)
I see way too many instances where my dwarves have both their upperlegs broken and they walk around like it's no problem (WRONG! Badass but WRONG!)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4690 on: January 03, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »

Yeah, you will learn it quickly. I started modding 10 days ago. And I finished my first mod already. More or less, of course I do play around with it, but at least it is realesed. ;)

And concerning the mentioned mod:
I'd like ot do the Ascii Version as well. I have no problem setting letters for the new creatures and giving them a fitting color... but when I copy my mod into a vanilla DF Ascii version I get an error message.

Tileset not found: Not found: data/art/Phoebus_16x16.png

I did use the Phoebus files as a standart to start my mod from. So how can I make it ASCII compatible ? Add every change manually in the original files ?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: January 04, 2012, 03:56:17 am »

I don't use ASCII, so I don't know the proper way to do it. But moving your raws from that version to the ordinary ASCII version works.

That said, I'm pretty sure your mod has some features beyond the ordinary raws, so you can't simply transfer stuff from point A to point B. IIRC, there's something in the init.txt file found in data/init on your copy of DF, that relates to tilesets and the like.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: January 04, 2012, 05:40:07 am »

Yeah, you will learn it quickly. I started modding 10 days ago. And I finished my first mod already. More or less, of course I do play around with it, but at least it is realesed. ;)

And concerning the mentioned mod:
I'd like ot do the Ascii Version as well. I have no problem setting letters for the new creatures and giving them a fitting color... but when I copy my mod into a vanilla DF Ascii version I get an error message.

Tileset not found: Not found: data/art/Phoebus_16x16.png

I did use the Phoebus files as a standart to start my mod from. So how can I make it ASCII compatible ? Add every change manually in the original files ?

Like New guy said it's in the "init.txt" in data/init when you copied everything it changed the init.txt (ASCII) to look for a tileset that does not exsist in the data/art foulder

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4693 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »

Thanks guys. Since I did not make the change in the file, I did not knew where to look for the error.

Then it's easy. I just add proper Letters and Color, change an Ascii-Init and put that together :)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: January 05, 2012, 02:54:53 am »

Is there a workaround for the 'shell bug'? I know making a pet creature with a shell part will give me shells, but wouldn't it still bug out since it's one type of shell so it would stack together, right? Like if I were to butcher 50 animals which will give me 1 shell each for 50 shells, and I were to use it, would it use all 50?

If I removed MAXAGE, what would it do to the creatures in world gen?

I want to make a type of metal or material that is used for armor and weapons for invaders only. I don't want my dwarves to be able to use or wear it and melt it down and make armor and weapons with it. How should I go on about this?
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 357