Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419607 times)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1005 on: November 03, 2010, 08:40:03 pm »

I have a slight problem, after adding a modded creature in, and when I gen a new world all civilizations are it's and cave crocodiles. I removed the modded creature but the problem keeps happening, and the creatures still there.

Are there backup raw files with non-.txt extensions?  DF still reads those.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 04, 2010, 06:20:51 pm »

I noticed that on the mod I'm making, even in a large world all creatures aren't getting in. There doesn't seem to be any biome tags missing, but it wasn't until I noticed a megabeast I had added earlier wasn't on the list of creatures in the world either, although another one I added a few minutes ago did appear normally.

So how exactly does DF pick what creatures inhabit the world? Is it random? Should I stop caring about it? Tweak the biome's a bit in case it's because of not enough variety to place wildlife in?

Nevermind, figured it out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:56:55 am by Ieb »

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 05, 2010, 01:34:32 pm »

I have a slight problem, after adding a modded creature in, and when I gen a new world all civilizations are it's and cave crocodiles. I removed the modded creature but the problem keeps happening, and the creatures still there.
Are there backup raw files with non-.txt extensions?  DF still reads those.
Kind of, but yeah I figured it out. My computer makes a "invisible" backup file when I save a file. I fixed it and put all my mods into their own files but now they won't apear in game.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 06, 2010, 08:18:09 pm »

I got scourgers and whips to work fine, but I now want to make my own weapons.

I'm thinking of two weapons, the first would be [insert metal] knuckles, and the other would be a glaive (basically a knife on the end of a pole)

I want the knucles to use the unarmed skill, and the glaive to be a slashing spear... but I have no idea what the values on the weapons mean. Any help would be appreciated, if you could point me in the direction of a complete weapon, I'd be grateful.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:21 pm »

What I did for knuckles was
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKS]
[NAME:knuckles:knuckles]
[SIZE:200]
[SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:200:punch:punches:NO_SUB:4500]
But the values could probably use some tweaking.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 06, 2010, 11:34:47 pm »

[TWO_HANDED: ] should probably be 1. That way they are always one handed.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55:44 pm »

I dunno, I find the mental of a gremlin wildly swinging some brass knuckles around like a bat'leth with each hand in a separate finger hole to be amusing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 07, 2010, 12:57:25 am »

That is quite amusing, but unless you gave Gremlins an entity raw, they more than likely won't use them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 07, 2010, 08:26:42 am »

I started a thread about adding creature parts then saw this. I'll post here. What I wnat to know:

Which things I need to define to make a hole knew body part.
How I can set something to a caste so I can set all Male Female Neutral as something, so I can add parts to all creatures easily.

Thanksall.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 07, 2010, 01:34:11 pm »

Hello. I've got a couple of questions. First off, I've been trying to figure out how to work the descriptions for the specific body parts. (Like the ears can be described as narrow, flattened, fused earlobes and such) I've got a scaled creature, and I'd like to make a description for the scales, such as noting if they have a mottled/striped/spotted/diamond pattern on them or such. How would I go about doing this?

Also, I think I've asked this before, but  I can't find the answer. How would I add a layer of scale tissue over the skin of a specific body part?

Lastly, if I define a body type for a species, but then make a new body for a specific caste, would it work just to put a new body under the caste heading, or would it be overridden by the one made for the whole species?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 07, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »

What I did for knuckles was
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKS]
[NAME:knuckles:knuckles]
[SIZE:200]
[SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:200:punch:punches:NO_SUB:4500]
But the values could probably use some tweaking.

Thank you, but what do you mean by tweaking?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 07, 2010, 04:00:29 pm »

Hello. I've got a couple of questions. First off, I've been trying to   figure out how to work the descriptions for the specific body parts.   (Like the ears can be described as narrow, flattened, fused earlobes and   such) I've got a scaled creature, and I'd like to make a description   for the scales, such as noting if they have a   mottled/striped/spotted/diamond pattern on them or such. How would I go   about doing this?

Right now the only color patterns are the rainbow stripes of beak dogs and some big cat patterns; you'd probably want to add some more.  I know the Incubus mod added descriptive non-color 'colors' like firm, supple, etc.  I think the various ways things are described are hard-coded, you'd want to find a body part described in the terms you want and copy the tokens.  If it's a body part you want to describe,  I use something like this:
                [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
            [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:700]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
            [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:700]
which results in a head with length instead of tallness; I use it for my lizard people.  If it's a tissue layer you want to describe, it goes something like this:
                [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FRILL:SCALE]
        [TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:50:80:90:100:110:120:150]
            [APP_MOD_NOUN:frill:SINGULAR]
        [TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:DENSE:50:80:90:100:110:120:150]
            [APP_MOD_NOUN:frill:SINGULAR]
        [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FRILL:SCALE]
            [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:STRIPES_RAINBOW:1]
                [TLCM_NOUN:frill:SINGULAR]

Note that the frill is not vanilla.  You could probably merge the color mod and the appearance mod together, maybe?

Also, I think I've asked this before, but  I   can't find the answer. How would I add a layer of scale tissue over the   skin of a specific body part?

I've had a lot of trouble with this.  Using the format used for adding nails( [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL:FRONT] )might work.  'AROUND' or 'TOP' would probably be the best for adding scale over a body part, but I've had annoying issues with 'AROUND'.  I wound up just making a whole new body detail plan for that creature.
Lastly, if I define a body type for a species, but then make a new body for a specific caste, would it work just to put a new body under the caste heading, or would it be overridden by the one made for the whole species?

You can define a body for the species, and then add additional parts as a caste.  Something like
[CREATURE:WHATEVER]
[BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE]
[CASTE:A]
[BODY:1EYE]
[CASTE:B]
[BODY:2EYES]
would work in my experience.  If you wanted completely different bodies, you'd have to do something like
  [CREATURE:WHATEVER]
  [CASTE:A]
  [BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE:1EYE]
  [CASTE:B]
  [BODY:INSECT:2EYES]

Repeating body parts from the creature definition in a caste definition will give you bizarre fractal anatomy.

Right now the attack has the same contact area/penetration depth as a warhammer strike with the velocity cranked up.  Size 200 is rather too large; that's only half the size of a war hammer.  I haven't really tested them enough to see if this is too effective, not effective enough, or what.  I've also considered changing the skill to 'MACE' so that they might actually get used.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:47:04 pm by JoRo »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 07, 2010, 04:42:59 pm »

Right now the attack has the same contact area/penetration depth as a warhammer strike with the velocity cranked up.  Size 200 is rather too large; that's only half the size of a war hammer.  I haven't really tested them enough to see if this is too effective, not effective enough, or what.  I've also considered changing the skill to 'MACE' so that they might actually get used.

Couldn't I just make it weigh less?

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:44 pm »

Thanks for the answers!

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 08, 2010, 06:00:34 am »

I'm trying to create a giant (up to over 3 tons in fact, for the queens ...) ants with several variations. So far, the base giant ant seems to work fine, only I can't get them to use the "sting" attack at all (ideally, they should use it about half of the time for soldiers, and now and then for queens). The raws look like this; first the body definition (since the default insect bodies are kinda ... strange in places):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the ants themselves. In tests in the arena, a single isn't much of a problem for a trained and iron-equipped warrior Dwarf, but any unarmoured Dwarf gets torn to pieces pretty damn quickly, which is as it should be. The attacks are defined near the end of the creature definition, all of them having [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN] ... but only the first one ("bite") seems to get picked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What am I missing here?
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 357