Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419453 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1035 on: November 09, 2010, 04:58:43 pm »

The idea was more along the lines of "on average, 90% of the attacks are bites and 10% of them are stings, due to the fact that stings aren't as easy to do (for the queens, who are rather large, that is)". Seems not possible right now, though; but so are a lot of things I'd like to add to the buggers (like: scavenging and eating body parts; dismembering corpses; building nests; feeding the larvae, queens and drones; "baby" stage having a different bodyplan; own drones getting butchered for food if there is no other alternative; fungus farming; different castes having different job preferences and so on) so I'll just add what can be done and request the other stuff in the suggestion forum. :)

So you want... Ant Fortress? Will they battle red ants, and children with magnifying glasses?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 09, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »

So you want... Ant Fortress? Will they battle red ants, and children with magnifying glasses?

Nope. :) I want a meaningful "enemy" which you can't reason with, which is very dangerous and a pain to fight, but which you can "use" if you're careful and "grok" how they work and what they need to leave your Dwarves in peace (mostly ... though sometimes they will still leave your Dwarves in pieces instead).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 09, 2010, 08:55:36 pm »

The spider?  If you click a secret button often enough does it shoot lasers?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:38 pm »

ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GLAIVE]
[NAME:glaive:Glaives]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:2000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]

When I test this, spears disappear from the test arena. [edit] they do seem to be slashing now[/edit]

What am I doing wrong?

Also dwarfs with shortswords wreck dwarfs with glaives, but when both sides have armor, glaives win every single time.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:20:51 pm by Zidane »
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:18 pm »

Hello, I've hit another snag in my creature in progress. I've got the body structure done, and was working on the descriptive text. I tried to use [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE] twice (Once for normal colors, and once for scale pattern 'colors'), but only the first of the two showed up in the view descriptions. Next, I tried to use [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL_STANCE], but that didn't work either. Can someone help me get around this issue?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:09 pm »

Hello, I've hit another snag in my creature in progress. I've got the body structure done, and was working on the descriptive text. I tried to use [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE] twice (Once for normal colors, and once for scale pattern 'colors'), but only the first of the two showed up in the view descriptions. Next, I tried to use [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL_STANCE], but that didn't work either. Can someone help me get around this issue?
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL_STANCE] needs a tissue at the end, presumably you want it [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL_STANCE:SCALE].  I'm trying some experiments with the having multiple descriptors on a tissue.

EDIT: Instead of setting the TL group twice, you just have two color mods under the same group, like how broadness and height are both assigned as app mods to the head.  Like so:
Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FRILL:SCALE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:STRIPES_G_A_J:5:STRIPES_O_B_Y:4:STRIPES_B_R_Y:4:STRIPES_RAINBOW:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:frill:SINGULAR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GREEN:1:MINT_GREEN:1:ASH_GRAY:1:MAROON:1:COBALT:1:AZURE:1:CARMINE:1:AQUAMARINE:1:TEAL:1:JADE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:frill:SINGULAR]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:34:04 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:14 pm »

Missed a [
|
v

Might also want to make the slash attack like a swords slash attack, and make it so its only used twohanded. I use the pike skill for my polearms, that way even worldgen creatures use it twohanded.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 10, 2010, 10:59:43 pm »

Missed a [
|
v

Might also want to make the slash attack like a swords slash attack, and make it so its only used twohanded. I use the pike skill for my polearms, that way even worldgen creatures use it twohanded.

Thank you for the tip.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 10, 2010, 11:40:50 pm »

Thanks again JoRo. This thread is a godsend.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 13, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how the Dragon body is structured... mostly so I can mod it to be able to attack with its claws.  While doing so, I noticed that the dragon seems to only have one "claw" on each foot.

So, I understand that the dragon uses QUADRUPED, 4TOES_FQ, and 4TOES_RQ... which means it has four feet and four toes on each foot. After setting out the basics, it gets a little more confusing...
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CLAW:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:CLAW:FRONT]

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The first two lines here, I assume, set the material for the the third line (despite lack of indentation).  The third line replaces the dragons TOEs with CLAWs. So I would assume that the dragon would have 16 claws total, 4 on each of 4 feet.

And yet when I give it a claw attack:
[ATTACK:SCRATCH:CHILD_TISSUE_LAYER_GROUP:BY_TYPE:STANCE:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CLAW]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:claw:claws]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
and then test it in the arena, it tells me that I can attack with:
claw/fourth left rear toe
claw/fourth right rear toe
claw/fourth left front toe
claw/fourth right front toe

Never mind the fact that eventually I want to make the attack such that the dragon can only use the front feet to claw with-- if it's selecting all claws, and here making me pick which claw individually, shouldn't it be showing me 16 different claws, not four?

So... first... how do I give the dragon 4 claws on each foot. Second, once I succeed at this, how do I make it so you can attack with all claws on a foot at once? Third, how do I make it attack with only the front two feet, not the rear two?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 13, 2010, 06:20:40 pm »

The error you are making is in not making the distinction between tissue layers and actual bodyparts.

The third line replaces the dragons TOEs with CLAWs.

That line applies a tissue layer (made out of the CLAW tissue, which is itself made up of the NAIL_TEMPLATE material template) to a specific location on the bodypart (in this case, the FRONT). The CLAW tissue is applied to each bodypart in the TOE category; dragons have four toes per foot, thus four claws per foot.

But I'm not sure what's up with the attacks.

Second, once I succeed at this, how do I make it so you can attack with all claws on a foot at once?

You don't, or at least not easily. This is due to the same reason as bite attacks are made with a tooth as opposed to the mouth.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:29:17 pm by 3 »

Protomith

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_GEEK] [WEAPON:DICE] [PREFSTRING:intelligence]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 13, 2010, 06:46:46 pm »

Please fix my entity.  :-[

Spoiler: Entity (click to show/hide)

Here is the creature entry.

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Edit: They're in the default files, if that changes anything.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:51:10 pm by Protomith »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 13, 2010, 06:57:37 pm »

I think I understand now. Okay, so attacking with a single claw on the foot is inevitable. Bringing me to my final question... can I make the creature attack with the front claws, but not the rear?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 13, 2010, 06:58:29 pm »

@Protomith  If your problem is that they can't be played in fortress mode you need [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] someplace in the entity file.  Other than that I don't see anything that jumps out at me that is wrong with them.

Ok I'm working on some adventure mode reactions.  I've noticed that there seems to be quite a few of these out there already, but what the hell.

Anyway In the bonecarving part of the reactions I came up with a dilemma.  I want to be able to convert a skull into a helmet.  One skull, a couple of bones to fill the gaps made by resizing the skull and bang.  One +Wolf Skull Helmet+.

Unfortunately however I can't seem to find the reagent line I need to use to indicate the use of a skull in the reaction.  Anybody know it offhand?

Also as an aside do reactions for wearable stuff still produce items that are far too large to be used?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:01:20 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Protomith

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_GEEK] [WEAPON:DICE] [PREFSTRING:intelligence]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 13, 2010, 07:16:47 pm »

Are you sure? It still doesn't work.
Edit: I found an errorlog. apparently "FOREST" isn't a biome token.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 357