Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419454 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1020 on: November 08, 2010, 04:32:05 pm »

[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:ABDOMEN_STINGER]
Try to change this to
      [ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_TOKEN:ABDOMEN_STINGER]

or to

[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER]
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 08, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »

Anyone help with an error I've got? Some new parts I've added have no tissue thickness, but I'm pretty sure they're made of a tissue with the same relative thickness of everything else, any way to trace it back to see what it is that's the problem, like from the end to the beginning to make sure all the material/tissue template bits are all spelt correctly? I'm having trouble working out what links to what. :S
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 08, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »

Anyone help with an error I've got? Some new parts I've added have no tissue thickness, but I'm pretty sure they're made of a tissue with the same relative thickness of everything else, any way to trace it back to see what it is that's the problem, like from the end to the beginning to make sure all the material/tissue template bits are all spelt correctly? I'm having trouble working out what links to what. :S

Can you post the creature?  I've had a few different things that cause tissues with no thickness.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 08, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »

Posting the creature won't help, it's just added as a body half way through. I might post the lot if I have time tomorrow. Are there any guides out there which show the order and general mesh of material, tissue etc.?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 08, 2010, 08:08:30 pm »

How do I go about addding in a custom graphic? I understand when it's a pre-made set but... I'm trying to mod in a new race to play with, and a friend made me a single sprite for it. Looking at the raws, I can't really understand how they actually determine which icon is used and stuff.. I'm confused

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 09, 2010, 01:41:57 am »

Creature tag/Worldgen question.

What tags make creatures, other than mega- or semimegabeasts, to attack, kill and gain names, during worldgen? Alligators eating people and so on. I've noticed a lack of named predator creatures during my mod-escapades, so is it that they're missing something, or don't they get mentions anymore in the historical figure list?

Alternatively, is it somehow tied to the Age of the world? These days it's hard to get past the Age of Myth unless you removed the titans from the world. Do normal big creatures pick up the slack after titans and such are gone?

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 09, 2010, 05:21:22 am »

[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:ABDOMEN_STINGER]
Try to change this to
      [ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_TOKEN:ABDOMEN_STINGER]

or to

[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER]

Ah thanks, that worked. BY_CATEGORY:STINGER seems like the more "logical" version, so I went with that, and my soldiers are now stinging people left and right (seems I have to remove ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE though, so they stop severing body parts with it ...). Any idea if it's possible to modify the chance with which they take one kind of an attack over a different one?

@EmperorJon: I had this error mostly when I tried to add body parts after I already set up BODY_DETAIL_PLANs. In the end, the most sensible way for me was to define castes first, then BODY and corresponding BODYGLOSS tags for the castes, then modify some RELSIZEs so they have slightly different proportions, and then add BODY_DETAIL_PLANs for all of them at once (after [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]).

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 09, 2010, 06:12:22 am »

What tags make creatures, other than mega- or semimegabeasts, to attack, kill and gain names, during worldgen? Alligators eating people and so on. I've noticed a lack of named predator creatures during my mod-escapades, so is it that they're missing something, or don't they get mentions anymore in the historical figure list?
Technically, LARGE_PREDATOR, but that behavior appears to be bugged currently - there appear to be no historical figures "hunting great beasts", so no predators attack or kill them, so no predators get names, so no named predators join in on monster rampages.

Any idea if it's possible to modify the chance with which they take one kind of an attack over a different one?
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND] makes it so that the stings would only happen if the other attacks become impossible (or in the next version, when they get good opportunities for stings). Having multiple different attacks may help outside fortress mode. If you want to make the sting less deadly, you can reduce the contact and penetration percentage a bit, or add the [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:x] tag, with x lower than 100. All should still allow injecting the venom.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 09, 2010, 06:27:59 am »

Any idea if it's possible to modify the chance with which they take one kind of an attack over a different one?
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND] makes it so that the stings would only happen if the other attacks become impossible (or in the next version, when they get good opportunities for stings). Having multiple different attacks may help outside fortress mode. If you want to make the sting less deadly, you can reduce the contact and penetration percentage a bit, or add the [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:x] tag, with x lower than 100. All should still allow injecting the venom.

The idea was more along the lines of "on average, 90% of the attacks are bites and 10% of them are stings, due to the fact that stings aren't as easy to do (for the queens, who are rather large, that is)". Seems not possible right now, though; but so are a lot of things I'd like to add to the buggers (like: scavenging and eating body parts; dismembering corpses; building nests; feeding the larvae, queens and drones; "baby" stage having a different bodyplan; own drones getting butchered for food if there is no other alternative; fungus farming; different castes having different job preferences and so on) so I'll just add what can be done and request the other stuff in the suggestion forum. :)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 09, 2010, 07:34:20 am »

Technically, LARGE_PREDATOR, but that behavior appears to be bugged currently - there appear to be no historical figures "hunting great beasts", so no predators attack or kill them, so no predators get names, so no named predators join in on monster rampages.

Huh. I recalled that tag was supposed to do that stuff, but I didn't know that it was bugged.
Sad face. : (

Oh well. I guess it'll get fixed sooner or later.
That or I create semi-mega versions out of all mah critters. Thanks for the answer.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 09, 2010, 10:36:10 am »

I tried it on my own, to no avail. I'm trying to use this icon here:

And the code I used is
Code: [Select]
graphics_koakuma

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:KOAKUMA]
[FILE:koakuma/koa.png]
[TILE_DIM:16:16]
[PAGE_DIM:16:16]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:KOAKUMA]
[STANDARD:KOAKUMA:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[DEFAULT:KOAKUMA:0:0:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]

However when I generated a new world, the Koakumas were all replaced with just black squares. Anyone know why?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 09, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »

@EmperorJon: I had this error mostly when I tried to add body parts after I already set up BODY_DETAIL_PLANs. In the end, the most sensible way for me was to define castes first, then BODY and corresponding BODYGLOSS tags for the castes, then modify some RELSIZEs so they have slightly different proportions, and then add BODY_DETAIL_PLANs for all of them at once (after [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]).

Unfortunately being a complete and utter DF modding noob I have no idea what the difference is between the different body detail plan files, and bodygloss...?

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 09, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »

Unfortunately being a complete and utter DF modding noob I have no idea what the difference is between the different body detail plan files, and bodygloss...?

[BODY:...] adds body parts (defined in files with [OBJECT:BODY] at the start; body_default.txt for example). Torsos, arms, heads, necks, eyes, teeth, hearth, guts, stuff like that.

[BODYGLOSS:...] renames some of the body parts, and is defined in the same place. It's purely descriptive, without any mechanical differences. For example, [BODYGLOSS:LEG_STUMP] renames every "leg" of the creature to a "stump". In my experience, they only work on the body parts which you added before the tag; so adding some [BODY:FRONT_LEGS], then doing [BODYGLOSS:LEG_STUMP] and finally adding [BODY:HIND_LEGS] will only make the front legs into stumps.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:...] has several distinct goals: First, to add material definitions, and then to add tissues based on those materials. Those definitions (added by [ADD_MATERIAL:materialname:reference to a material template] and [ADD_TISSUE:tissuename:reference to a tissue template] respectively) then get used further down the line to add tissue layers. Finally, body detail plans can also detail relative sizes of body parts and their positions relative to each other. The exact definitions are in files starting with [OBJECT:BODY_DETAIL_PLAN]; like b_detail_plan_default.txt.  The important thing to remember is that they only act upon the body parts you defined until this point of the creature definition file; any additional [BODY:...] tags added later won't get the materials and tissues which were added before. Also, you should add materials ([BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS for example) before tissues ([BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]).

In general, I prefer to work it in this structure:

1. Add general body parts which every caste will have.
2. Add castes.
3. Group castes (by using [SELECT_CASTE:...] followed by optional [SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:...] tags) and add body parts which only they have in common; also, use this part to change relative proportion (using [RELSIZE:...]) of body parts where needed.
4. [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] and add use the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:...] tags to add all needed materials, then all tissues, then to define relative sizes and positions; add modifiers for them if you like thereafter.

For  the giant ants I'm working at right now, this looks like following (ignore the BODY and BODY_DETAIL_PLAN names you don't know or have; I had to add quite a few of them to make it actually look like an insect):

1. I skip part 1 :)
2. Castes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Adding bodies, and then changing the relative sizes of them a bit. Also, BODYGLOSS to rename "upper body" to "thorax", "lower body" to "abdomen" and "foot" to "claw":

4. Finally, adding all the materials (CHITIN_MATERIALS), tissues (INSECT_TISSUES and INSECT_DIGESTIVE_LAYERS to make muscles without arteries in them and chitin-lined parts of the digestive tract) and assigning finishing touches:

For reference, the current additional body parts used in this giant ant are those:

And the end result looks something like this:
Worker
Soldier
Drone
Queen
Size comparison

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:56 pm »

Wow, super thanks!

I seem to have managed to get everything working anway. Any bits of information on what certain body part tags like SMALL, EMBEDDED etc. do? What effects?

Thanks again so much. Considered putting something like this on the wiki?

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 09, 2010, 03:14:29 pm »

Wow, super thanks!

I seem to have managed to get everything working anway. Any bits of information on what certain body part tags like SMALL, EMBEDDED etc. do? What effects?

[SMALL] makes them not show up in the damage overview until actually damaged ([INTERNAL] does too, but it also puts it behind the tissue layers of the body part it is connected to). No idea if it does anything else. Also, [EMBEDDED] probably means this body part can't be ripped off, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again so much. Considered putting something like this on the wiki?

If I have it in a somewhat-readable form instead of a "stream of consciousness" like here, I might. :) For now, I need some more tweaking to get my giant ants just right.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 357