Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419509 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #990 on: October 31, 2010, 08:59:21 pm »

Stupid question, but did you generate a new world to test that? I'm pretty certain that about any entity change won't impact running games.

No I didn't, but that isn't the case anyway. You can edit any already existing entities, you just can't add new ones or delete ones currently existing.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:53 pm »

To be fair a lot of modding stuff does still require a regen even if it's a modification of an existing entry.   And entity modifications actually require a regen more often than not since a lot of entity information is stored during worldgen.

I don't think your modifications would require that though.  Did you remove the trading and meet diplomat stuff from the main raws AND the raws for the save itself?  Remember that saves store their own raws now, so none of your raw modifications will effect an existing world unless you also change the raws within the save's folder.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 01, 2010, 12:02:33 am »

Ya I always use the save updated whenever I make a change. I wonder, is the Law-making tag responsible for that?

I don't think these changes require a regen since I have added the trade token to my book keeper in the past to get around the broker break syndrome.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 01, 2010, 12:37:35 am »

Is there a program that can output raw files, say, for creatures or civs?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 01, 2010, 01:46:30 am »

I have a few questions.

Is there a way I can allow my dwarfs to make scourges and whips? I looked at the raws, but I couldn't understand it.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 01, 2010, 01:49:28 am »

I have a few questions.

Is there a way I can allow my dwarfs to make scourges and whips? I looked at the raws, but I couldn't understand it.

Open the entity_default raw.

Pretty much anywhere among the cluster of [WEAPON:X] tags under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] tag, add:

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCOURGE]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHIP]

Question: Is there a program that can output raw files, say, for creatures or civs?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 01, 2010, 01:58:43 am »

I have a few questions.

Pretty much anywhere among the cluster of [WEAPON:X] tags under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] tag, add:

Question: Is there a program that can output raw files, say, for creatures or civs?

Does it matter where I place it in the file? Also, thanks, I assumed it would be in item_weapon

I put in in but it's not appearing on the magma forge.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:40:54 am by Zidane »
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 01, 2010, 02:57:57 am »

I have a few questions.

Does it matter where I place it in the file? Also, thanks, I assumed it would be in item_weapon

I put in in but it's not appearing on the magma forge.

You need to generate a new world.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 01, 2010, 03:21:14 am »

Oh crap, I think I need should have kept copies of of everything I messed with.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #999 on: November 01, 2010, 08:06:42 am »

My Uplift Engine script creates new raw files for procedurally generated animalperson creatures and civilizations:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3117
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 03, 2010, 02:26:57 am »

Okay. A few weeks back I finished mah big mod based on a random idea, based on "what if this game was to be played DF-style".

So there's like 30 civ's and 200+ creatures that I whipped up to inhabit the world. Initial tests showed promising results, no sudden crashes and so on.

Longer tests however did suddenly start crashing for no apparent reason.
Of course, there's nothing in the error logs. I regenned a test world last night and will start a new fort to do my testing today in case it was something that I noticed during earlier testing and "fixed" but actually required a regen that I obviously didn't do until now.

So what are the things that could possibly cause a game to have a sudden crash with no warning or reason? The civ's use gear straight from vanilla DF, although I made up a big list of about 100+ artifact-only weapons that can be made by moods, there's a bunch of normal creatures, scaled ones or those with skin that turns to leather, but after a long trial of messing about I was able to make critters "close enough" to undeads, that don't have skin or fat on their bodies, just bones and all the rest.

If I'm lucky it was just a screwup because of a lack of regen, if I'm unlucky, then I'm stumped. Which isn't that hard when you have a crapload of creatures and one or some of them are causing issues.

The creatures work like they should in arena testing though.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 03, 2010, 06:54:11 am »

After a long period of testing, I've discovered that the flame template can't work.  It has no melting or boiling points, so everything is considered "solid".  I've made a template that has lower-than-fixed-temp igniting and melting points, we'll see how that goes.  -goes to test-

Edit: Nope.  Still solid.  Hmmn.

That's strange. The [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FLAME_TEMPLATE] entry actually has [TISSUE_MAT_STATE:GAS] set ... no idea what the corresponding tag would be for [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLAME_TEMPLATE] though. The wiki page lists some undocumented ones, like [OVERWRITE_SOLID], I'd try that, maybe.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 03, 2010, 08:08:00 pm »

I have a slight problem, after adding a modded creature in, and when I gen a new world all civilizations are it's and cave crocodiles. I removed the modded creature but the problem keeps happening, and the creatures still there.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 03, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »

Check errorlog.txt for duplicate raw entries, removing any that it points you to.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 03, 2010, 08:27:45 pm »

I can't find any thing wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 357