Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228582 times)

NaziBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18 ϟ] - long worldgen again!
« Reply #4155 on: December 10, 2010, 08:47:44 pm »

I've another question. Is the awesome attack system in Dwarf Fortress or is it unique to Genesis? I haven't checked if there is a new version of DF in a long while so I am not sure if the system was included some time ago. If it is Genesis, then I thank Deon for allowing me to hit people in their dick.
"Better is one's own law of works, swadharma, though in itself faulty than an alien law well wrought out; death in one's own law of being is better, perilous is it to follow an alien law." - Bhagavad Gita

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: December 10, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »

Explanation: A baker's dozen of ambushes all came on to the map at once, about 4 Illithid squads, 4 Dusk Elf squads and 5 Demon squads, combined with the current Ezrakim Elf siege they started a nice bloodbath at my gate.

This is what happens when you don't make appointments. Barbaric!

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: December 10, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »

I was reading the War dogs suck thread and I noticed some things that could use modding. This reminded me of how Genesis uses the VBASE format for creatures. And that, in turn, made me wonder if Deon or TomiTapio had already addressed a few of these issues:

The thread starts by saying that "war dogs suck now", which implies that they did not always suck. Also, if true, I find it silly that hunting dogs are now superior to war dogs in every way:
Aye, all I use now are 2 war dogs, then 10 million HUNTING dogs, much better...

But Psieye pointed out that war dogs still have a use:
The trouble comes when you expect war dogs to actually kill anything (unless you rewrite their raws so teeth are made from steel not flesh or whatever it is currently). Well ok, they're useful for chasing away wildlife like Rhesus Macaques. No, the benefit is that they distract invaders...
Hmm... Would it be possible to edit the teeth for war dogs (and only war dogs) to be as strong as iron? That way, war dogs would get a slight boost and be a match for some armored foes (just not well armored ones).

Savaril complained about how pathetic war elephants are:
War elephants suck. I ended up training like 20 of them, and then I unleashed them upon a squad of goblin lashers and the elephants were pretty much decimated without killing a single one.
One failure does not a problem prove. (Esp. considering they were lashers.) But if this is any indication, I might agree that war elephants need a boost.

Trouserman and TheJackal had some interesting ideas on modding bears to wear armor:
Grizzly bears are notably strong, even vs armor.  Unfortunately I don't have any in my current fort....
If only I could have put that bear in armor...

There must be a way to mod the RAWs so you can get them in armor like this...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But I suppose bears with armor might be a stretch. (Not sure if it's even possible.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:01:57 pm by bsperan »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: December 10, 2010, 11:21:11 pm »

Apparently keepers are easy to piss off. They are laying siege to me right now, but only 1 of their caravans was destroyed. Let's see what happens, considering a loyalty cascade with the illithids and the demons in the same siege squad just occured, maybe something will happen with these keepers.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: December 11, 2010, 02:02:07 am »

I'm confused how this has happen but I race change a keeper to a (gray) werewolf and travel out to fight with me along with a hand pack of 3 keepers we got ambushed by elves who only where pissed at the human party so I place them under 'internship'(make creatures follow in dfusion which may lead to a @ sign but no blinking...from what I can tell) soon once I got close to the band camp where I was going to kill, end up having the intern's jumping the keepers the weird part is that I notice I have 2 werewolves now (the first one was on internship)!?
so I check and look through and seen nothing stating the transformation of the character.
so I guess having a infected hound can put you at risk of turning into a infected hound.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: December 11, 2010, 02:12:46 am »

I have a question: is it possible to change the  Genesis terrain tileset with a simple replacement?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4161 on: December 11, 2010, 02:19:51 am »

Explanation: A baker's dozen of ambushes all came on to the map at once, about 4 Illithid squads, 4 Dusk Elf squads and 5 Demon squads, combined with the current Ezrakim Elf siege they started a nice bloodbath at my gate.
One can adjust the seasons when what civs come "visit" you. I guess the current state is that all civs can come at all four seasons. It's a little silly sometimes because of the "caravan comes -week" is hardcoded.

Jesus Deon. How big did you make testicles? I've got one from a Giant that weighs 78 urists.
What's the total weight of your giant then, I think NINE TONS. So he had 1% of body weight testes.
I tested & tuned them in dwarven arena battles and made them them big enough that they get hit often enough (1-3% chance per dead dwarf). But, the sizes should be different on external (outside-clothes!) and internal (like kidney) versions. And then Today made a bugfix and clothes protect ears/nose/willies!

Yep, castes are totally random in dwarf breeding. But there's some genetics in DF so you can breed muscular cattle. Let the steel dwarves party & pairbond.

Those shroom guys seem pretty mundane, probably useful as an early militia because they can amass such large numbers. Yep, I said it before, Genesis is great.
You have forts that live to year seven and eight? How's your FPS?

I was reading the War dogs suck thread and I noticed some things that could use modding. This reminded me of how Genesis uses the VBASE format for creatures. And that, in turn, made me wonder if Deon or TomiTapio had already addressed a few of these issues:
Haven't heard about VBASE.
Would be easy to give demon-class teeth to all dogs. But war dogs do not exist in the raws! Only the untrained creature. "+war" and "+hunting" are hardcoded (in the EXE) things.
War bears, did that in DF 40d16 (back when Genesis was called DF Complete, DFCP). Yep, bears and pigs are smart and thus trainable. War Spaniels, not.
All three bears already have [TRAINABLE].
Armor for horses and war dogs, not in DF yet.

so I check and look through and seen nothing stating the transformation of the character.
so I guess having a infected hound can put you at risk of turning into a infected hound.
I don't think there's creature transformation the way you describe it.
DF recently added "spouse conversion" for lair-using beasts, there's a [SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET] tag now.

I have a question: is it possible to change the  Genesis terrain tileset with a simple replacement?
You're free to edit the graphics files data/art/ironhand_text.png and ironhand_mix.png to suit your taste. Just remember to maintain transparency while you edit and save. Easiest would be to copy-paste the terrain square from another 18x18 tileset.

Cheers everyone, I'll have my morning tea now.
I should start a few more forts to get a feel for different biomes' wildlife.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:25:47 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: December 11, 2010, 09:27:04 am »

Those shroom guys seem pretty mundane, probably useful as an early militia because they can amass such large numbers. Yep, I said it before, Genesis is great.
You have forts that live to year seven and eight? How's your FPS?
I'm on about year eight of a fort as well, around 40fps at the moment.  But I don't have anything like a pumpstack or waterfall to slow it down too much.

Oh and how do you use the altars of war and nature? I've had the job on repeat at the building for ages but I've never seen anyone use either of them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:32:48 am by Torgan »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: December 11, 2010, 09:36:48 am »

Enable the alchemy skill. Repeat is a bad idea, btw.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: December 11, 2010, 11:53:16 am »

DF /w Genesis mod has been crashing on me quite alot. It didn't seem to crash so much in adv mode, but in DF mode, it crashes frequently. I have it saving at season changes, but still, a dwarf can do a lot in a season, and to have to go back and reload all the time is seriously pissing me off.

IS this an issue with some kind of setting i should change?

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: December 11, 2010, 01:12:56 pm »

Does anybody else find the idea of an alligator as a mount... rather odd? I mean, assuming even as a pet it wouldn't try to bite your head off trying, how could you even ride one? Alligators have short (but powerful) legs and their belly already practically scrapes the ground. Wouldn't your dwarves' or adventurer's legs drag on the ground? And wouldn't the alligator be trying to scrape itself across the stone floor or ground trying to carry the extra weight?

I see it set as [mount_exotic] in vanilla and [mount] in Genesis. (I'm assuming the latter was set to [mount] so as to bypass the Dungeon Master bug.)

[PS: My mistake about Genesis using VBASE. It's CivForge which incorporated that and just I got it mixed up.]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:53:29 pm by bsperan »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: December 11, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »

Cave Crocodiles are also mounts.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4167 on: December 11, 2010, 03:02:29 pm »

in DF mode, it crashes frequently. I have it saving at season changes
IS this an issue with some kind of setting i should change?
Truetype support is known to cause problems, as it's brand new. Turn that off. Might want to try different graphics-renderer settings too, maybe skip the PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL.
Gotta make more manual saves, like after a successful trade and after designating 20 new rooms.

Gator and Croc mounts aren't so bad, one can think of them as a kind of war dog that the enemy brought. "Riding" doesn't seem to give much advantage in combat.
One siege brought Dread Troll Cheesemakers and other professions (thanks to can_learn tag on them.)

Any opinions on whether the Illithids should use evil/good/cave animals? The uncivilized Flayers live in caverns, but their mind control skills might let them command the good animals (unicorns). Hmm... maybe should add more Good animals, but one sees them so rarely as good biomes are boring and scarce.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:16:03 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: December 11, 2010, 06:06:33 pm »

Deon, the ASCII version(and maybe even the graphical version) has a bunch of mistakes that were reported in earlier versions and while you supposedly fixed them, they are back again. Namely:
Deon, Cave Chilies, Carrots, Quarry Bushes and Cucumbers use '(' for their picked tile. Now, as I mentioned long ago any tile selections in Apostrophes results in empty spaces instead of the tile, at least, for the tileset I use (slightly modified version of Dorten's tileset). So please change their picked tiles to the number 40, which results in the correct tile being displayed.

Glow berries also use '"' for their shrub tile, picked tile, and dead shrub tile. They should all be replaced with the number 34.
They were supposedly fixed a while ago. However, most of them are back. ((For you people paying close attention, yes, this is the second time I reported this. However, I think Deon missed my post)).

Another one that's back is:
Um, minor question Deon, why is light yellow diamond cyan if it's light yellow? ???
I have been noticing that "light yellow diamond" clusters show as blue while in situ. Is that deliberate?
Apparently you fixed it twice. However, it's cyan again.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:09:02 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: December 11, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »

That's pretty cool. I've yet to play Fortress Mode as I've been making sure my world is Elf free. So, if I keep the castes seperate, then there would be a high chance that dwarves will only befriend and wed the dwarves around them and whatever child is produced I will move them to the proper caste burrow. This mod is great. Also, the gloomers and aspid are complete undesirables and I'll likely throw them to the arena with giant lions and use them for disposable mining purposes. Those shroom guys seem pretty mundane, probably useful as an early militia because they can amass such large numbers. Yep, I said it before, Genesis is great.

I laughed, because I am doing the exact same thing with "lesser" dwarves as you are, and over here only Jade and Obsidian dwarves are eligible for any leadership position or personal property. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 642