Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: War dogs suck  (Read 11820 times)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: War dogs suck
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 04:33:07 pm »

Polar Bears work well too!

Yeah, I do the "why is the roof opening oh god oh god" thing with hordes of grizzly bears.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 04:47:22 pm »

i miss my old forts head punching off war gorilla...  :-[
This is a blank sig.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 05:48:44 pm »

Well, my horde of 65 war dogs fended off a couple goblin ambushes well enough. Seven dogs even survived!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »

I suppose that by themselves they may suck, but throw a few in with a squad and they provide cheap cannon fodder? Y'know, give the voracious cave crawlers something to chew the heads off of that isn't dwarves.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 06:52:50 pm »

I give them to good soldiers, that way whoever the soldier is fighting is also trying to attack a load of dogs & their puppies.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 06:54:27 pm »

I give them to good soldiers, that way whoever the soldier is fighting is also trying to attack a load of dogs & their puppies.
  If you assign a war dog to a soldier, doesn't that soldier now consider that dog a pet and subsequently get a bad thought when it dies?

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 07:03:55 pm »

If you assign a war dog to a soldier, doesn't that soldier now consider that dog a pet and subsequently get a bad thought when it dies?

Tbh in my fortress they're getting enough bad thoughts from everyone getting slaughtered I don't notice :)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:35 pm »

Grizzly bears are notably strong, even vs armor.  Unfortunately I don't have any in my current fort....
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 08:41:37 pm »

Wonder if we can edit and make War Fluffy Wamblers, destroyers of Bronze Colossus.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:22 pm »

Fluffy Wamblers are vermin, I think, so no.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »

Make giant wamblers then.

BEGONE, GREAT BRONZE MAN
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 09:45:05 pm »

BEGONE, GREAT BRONZE MAN
Giant Wamblers which are 1/2 the size of a kobold cutebold.  xD
Allow them to learn and give them a projectile attack which launches Fluffy Wamblers (if possible.)  Make them native to savage good areas.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 12:08:08 am »

Grizzly bears are notably strong, even vs armor.  Unfortunately I don't have any in my current fort....
You can import any tamed animals from your empire on embark. It's possible to get a pair of polar bears and a pair of grizzly bears right off If your civ border both temperate and tundra. On standard embark points, this leaves you with neither anvil nor pickaxe, just a single barrel of booze.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Savaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 02:19:05 am »

War elephants suck. I ended up training like 20 of them, and then I unleashed them upon a squad of goblin lashers and the elephants were pretty much decimated without killing a single one.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 03:36:10 am »

BEGONE, GREAT BRONZE MAN
Giant Wamblers which are 1/2 the size of a kobold cutebold.  xD
Allow them to learn and give them a projectile attack which launches Fluffy Wamblers (if possible.)  Make them native to savage good areas.
The Giant Fluffy Wambler Fluffles the Songs of Prancinc has arrived.  He is large and fluffy with adorable puppy dog eyes.  Beware his wambler breath!
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5