Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228552 times)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18 ϟ] - long worldgen again!
« Reply #4140 on: December 09, 2010, 07:08:26 pm »

Here's my current Genesis raws:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Gen18_TomiTapio_raw_objects_Dec9.zip

lots of creature fine tuning, and removed the dwarves' fire and cold immunity. And firebreath.
added a "trollkin" tribal troll humanoid, goblin-sized. It has no graphics yet.
Don't put these raws into an existing fort as I changed some of the prepared meals.

Aww cool. Thanks for this.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

crappypappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: December 09, 2010, 07:11:40 pm »

maybe its just me but i dont find illithids to dangerous i had 6 steel dwarves in full copper armour and obsidian short swords not recieve a single injury from a illithid ambush consisting of 2 squads of 8 and this was only a year into my game so these guys had no skills what so ever. the only thing that bothered me was that there was and ithalid overseer liason or somthing like that and i never saw him once kinda creepy
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: December 09, 2010, 07:21:06 pm »

Which files, and are you using Mac or Linux perhaps? Have a program that can extract from RAR-archives?

Or are you talking about "I tried some modding and now the game won't start"?
I have WinRAR, and I'm using Windows XP. Also, I tried downloading the ASCII version, but it's corrupted too.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4143 on: December 10, 2010, 01:15:30 am »

maybe its just me but i dont find illithids to dangerous i had 6 steel dwarves in full copper armour and obsidian short swords not recieve a single injury from a illithid ambush consisting of 2 squads of 8 and this was only a year into my game so these guys had no skills what so ever. the only thing that bothered me was that there was and ithalid overseer liason or somthing like that and i never saw him once kinda creepy
I agree, the illithids aren't as tough as armored goblins. They have worse armor and weapons, on purpose. And their "mind control" toxin is pretty weak, dizziness only. But they have the special castes with heavy toxins and larger size. I once had a caged Outpost Mind area-blast forever inside a cage, quite a sight.

BTW, steel dwarves are superheroes, so no wonder the flayer squad was easy.

Oh.. Deon's illithids do not have any weapons allowed in the entity file. I had them use "simple" weapons earlier, daggers, maces and spears(deadly). I'll fix that and upgrade the mind control toxin to include pain (someone's messing with your mind) and a percentage chance of unconsciousness (successful control).

Lots of images of flayers: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1920&bih=1047&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=%22mind+flayer%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I have WinRAR, and I'm using Windows XP. Also, I tried downloading the ASCII version, but it's corrupted too.
Perhaps Deon was devious and used a compression setting that older (?) WinRAR can't do. Try downloading with another browser or saving to a different harddisk location, in case you got a partial download earlier.
I just downloaded and tested the 3.18 ASCII.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:39:44 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

mastere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: December 10, 2010, 02:10:37 am »

Highlights of getting this mod and playing around with it....

Illithids can fly? Caused a few elves and horses I had stuck on a bridge 10 or so z-levels up a volcano to jump when they were floating around.:))))

Edited the raws to make the different types of dragons and balors pets....this is very entertaining and leads to lots of fun, especially when you want to murder a hapless outpost liason and your war dragons all turn vengefully righteous. Of course.. this can also be an aid for the enemy... I just had elite goblins, barghests, and some other shit come riding in on WAR CAVE DRAGONS! I didn't design my fortress to defend well against flying creatures unfortunately, and so they are laying waste.

This mod is pretty awesome...nice work

Does anyone know where in the raw files you would edit the properties of dragonscale?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: December 10, 2010, 07:26:15 am »

Some of the illithids can fly, voidmasters, liasions and I think grigori ones? 

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: December 10, 2010, 07:51:57 am »

This mod sounds really cool. I have a few questions. Why are Orcs Japanese when you could make them unique and add a Japanese race to humans?

The truth is that I rather like the ways orcs are represented just now and they are certainly 'unique' within DF.

Now yes, they have some japanese-kinda traits, but this is more the type of orcs chosen for the mod rather than anything deeper I feel.

Orcs in fantasy tend to fall into one of two catagories.  You have tolkein's style of orc.  Sneaky bastard, ugly as sin, basically an oversized gobbo.  The other common style of creating fantasy orcs is to make them militant.  You add in concepts such as martial honor, warrior code etc to make a race of 'born warriors'.  The upshot of this second path is often that great similarities can be drawn between the orcs and real-world concepts and practices such as bushido.

(if looking for examples in fantasy lit. that have the second type of orc then i'd recommend 'Orcs' by Stan Nicholls.  Refreshing to read a world where orcs are the main characters and humans just these irritating squishy trouble-makers.)

And yes.  Genesis rocks!
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: December 10, 2010, 09:04:52 am »

The truth is that I rather like the ways orcs are represented just now and they are certainly 'unique' within DF.
Iirc, the Orcish armour in Morrowind was samurai-ish.

NaziBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: December 10, 2010, 03:11:22 pm »

Iirc, the Orcish armour in Morrowind was samurai-ish.

You are forgetting that Morrowind is not relevant to the mythology of Ork.
"Better is one's own law of works, swadharma, though in itself faulty than an alien law well wrought out; death in one's own law of being is better, perilous is it to follow an alien law." - Bhagavad Gita

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: December 10, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »

Thank you Deon for this nice moment:

It is a glorious time when hostiles all unite at my doorway and slaughter each other! More ambushes are pouring in, and more Uristmas cheer is being spread around my doorway in the form of weapons, armor and blood!

Explanation: A baker's dozen of ambushes all came on to the map at once, about 4 Illithid squads, 4 Dusk Elf squads and 5 Demon squads, combined with the current Ezrakim Elf siege they started a nice bloodbath at my gate.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: December 10, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »

Jesus Deon. How big did you make testicles? I've got one from a Giant that weighs 78 urists.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: December 10, 2010, 06:58:29 pm »

Jesus Deon. How big did you make testicles? I've got one from a Giant that weighs 78 urists.

Ah, the magic of relsizes. Actually, I've got an eyelid from a cyclops with a similar issue. The eyelid, by itself, is too big for an empty CHEST, let alone backpack.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NaziBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: December 10, 2010, 07:25:30 pm »

About the dwarven castes, does any caste of dwarf give birth to any caste, for example does a steel dwarf only birth steel dwarves or can they give birth to any other caste?
"Better is one's own law of works, swadharma, though in itself faulty than an alien law well wrought out; death in one's own law of being is better, perilous is it to follow an alien law." - Bhagavad Gita

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: December 10, 2010, 07:29:18 pm »

About the dwarven castes, does any caste of dwarf give birth to any caste, for example does a steel dwarf only birth steel dwarves or can they give birth to any other caste?

I think caste birth is random.  I have a steel/obsidian dwarf couple in my fort, and they've given birth to stone and doom dwarf babies.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

NaziBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36:41 pm »

That's pretty cool. I've yet to play Fortress Mode as I've been making sure my world is Elf free. So, if I keep the castes seperate, then there would be a high chance that dwarves will only befriend and wed the dwarves around them and whatever child is produced I will move them to the proper caste burrow. This mod is great. Also, the gloomers and aspid are complete undesirables and I'll likely throw them to the arena with giant lions and use them for disposable mining purposes. Those shroom guys seem pretty mundane, probably useful as an early militia because they can amass such large numbers. Yep, I said it before, Genesis is great.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 642