Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091669 times)

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11445 on: May 13, 2011, 08:03:42 pm »

I've stopped myself from playing Dwarf Fortress until the release of the next version (with the necromancers, etc). Anyone think they have an idea when said version will be released? In the near future? Far future? The temptation to come back to play is so great, but I don't want to miss out on the features of the next update.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11446 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:39 pm »

I've stopped myself from playing Dwarf Fortress until the release of the next version (with the necromancers, etc). Anyone think they have an idea when said version will be released? In the near future? Far future? The temptation to come back to play is so great, but I don't want to miss out on the features of the next update.

Toady's latest quote from the dev page reads "I still need to make a modest effort on their tower maps and make sure the necromancer and buddies are working in all respects for adventure mode."  So he still has some work to do on the necromancer stuff, and I'm pretty sure he's still working on the workshops/markets/shops mentioned as the meat of this release. Now, I don't know exactly how far he's gotten and what all he wanted to include, but I'd be surprised if it was less than 10 days. I'm expecting 2 weeks +

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11447 on: May 13, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »

I just had a mason mysteriously get fatally wounded. I found out about this after she canceled the floor tile she was working on, dragged herself to the hospital, and died, leaving her baby to play in the huge puddle of blood she left there.

The baby is six months old. Is there a way I can ensure her survival to childhood?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:43:19 pm by proxn_punkd »

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11448 on: May 13, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »

How dangerous is magma mist to structures? I am planning on producing a magma mist/steam generator to melt various visitors to my fortress, and would very much like to know if the mist will melt my mechanisms/ignite my spears. Or is there some other better way to deal with goblins who get cold feet and just hang out at the entryway to my dodge trap. The general design I was thinking of was to just have a channel running from an aquifer chunk in the corner of my map to empty into the magma vent beneath the hallway, where obsidian would be produced on the surface and then drop down to SMR. It's quite deep below the actual trap; 43 Z levels or so. Is that too deep for the lovely yellow mist to reach my friends above?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11449 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:18 pm »

I believe that the mist will leave your traps unharmed, but I could be wrong.
!!Science!! must be done!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11450 on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:44 pm »

How dangerous is magma mist to structures? I am planning on producing a magma mist/steam generator to melt various visitors to my fortress, and would very much like to know if the mist will melt my mechanisms/ignite my spears. Or is there some other better way to deal with goblins who get cold feet and just hang out at the entryway to my dodge trap. The general design I was thinking of was to just have a channel running from an aquifer chunk in the corner of my map to empty into the magma vent beneath the hallway, where obsidian would be produced on the surface and then drop down to SMR. It's quite deep below the actual trap; 43 Z levels or so. Is that too deep for the lovely yellow mist to reach my friends above?

Attach lever to support holding up large section of ceiling?

When gobbos are sitting around loitering at your entrance - pull lever.

You can surround the support with lever-triggered floodgates if you want to make sure that building destroyers can't get to the support and destroy it too early in a seige.  When ready, drop the floodgates, then trigger the lever to drop the support.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11451 on: May 13, 2011, 11:04:49 pm »

Actually, building destroyers will mostly ignore supports.
I guess Toady didn't want to make ceiling-drop traps too easy.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11452 on: May 13, 2011, 11:10:07 pm »

so there isn't really a repeatable way to accomplish entryway cleanup? I guess I'll just have an upright spike field carpeting the area, and then only pull the trigger lever when the entire siege/ambush force is loitering.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11453 on: May 13, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »

so there isn't really a repeatable way to accomplish entryway cleanup? I guess I'll just have an upright spike field carpeting the area, and then only pull the trigger lever when the entire siege/ambush force is loitering.

There are ways.

Create two rooms separated by a floodgate.

In one room, store 7 high water.  In the other room have a pressure plate designed to activate when exposed to water 3 deep.

Link the pressure plate to spike field.

When you drop the floodgate, the 1x7 deep will fill out to become 2x2 deep and 1x3 deep.

Every time the little wave of 3 deep water passes over the plate, it will activate your friendly little stabbers.

To stop this process, simply drain the rooms, raise the floodgate, then fill the 1x7 deep water room.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11454 on: May 14, 2011, 12:02:14 am »

Whenever I read people's write-ups about fights, people always seem to have a huge amount of detail - whereas reports in my game are always merely "Urist McFighter is fighting!" times a thousand.

Is there a a tag somewhere to get more detailed reports...?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11455 on: May 14, 2011, 12:45:21 am »

[edited for wrongness]

Hit enter to view each individual report.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:48:46 am by Mechatronic »

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11456 on: May 14, 2011, 02:55:43 am »

Thanks, Mechatronic.

One last question (for now): I set up two squads, filled them with recruits, set them to train year-round and activated their schedules. (Set to train/active)

They activated (Their images were filled instead of hollow like normal dwarves) but most continued to stack barrels in stockpiles for ages and ages. I eventually had to manually go through and switch off hauling on them just to get them to train. The job names were all written in pink (which I assume means they're paused) but, well... yeah.

Also, only one squad would activate even though I had two barracks designated for training. The other squad just loafed around doing nothing. Or carting goddamn barrels of I-don't-know-what around.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11457 on: May 14, 2011, 03:02:39 am »

Thanks, Mechatronic.

One last question (for now): I set up two squads, filled them with recruits, set them to train year-round and activated their schedules. (Set to train/active)

They activated (Their images were filled instead of hollow like normal dwarves) but most continued to stack barrels in stockpiles for ages and ages. I eventually had to manually go through and switch off hauling on them just to get them to train. The job names were all written in pink (which I assume means they're paused) but, well... yeah.

Also, only one squad would activate even though I had two barracks designated for training. The other squad just loafed around doing nothing. Or carting goddamn barrels of I-don't-know-what around.

were they all equipped with armour and Weapon?
did you make sure the two barracks weren't assigned to the same squad? are they both 10 units each and is schedule of training for Minimum 10? in that case, try moving to minimum 5. so at least with 5 they should train, and then swap each other so some can rest and others can train.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11458 on: May 14, 2011, 03:07:21 am »

were they all equipped with armour and Weapon?
did you make sure the two barracks weren't assigned to the same squad? are they both 10 units each and is schedule of training for Minimum 10? in that case, try moving to minimum 5. so at least with 5 they should train, and then swap each other so some can rest and others can train.

That might've been it... I set it to 'minimum 5'. I didn't realise that meant the squad itself would rotate it's members through training. Thank you!
Check out my RtD!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11459 on: May 14, 2011, 03:23:22 am »

Military dwarves, for what reason I don't know, drink in their barracks. They'll get a drink from a stockpile, carry it to their barracks then return the barrel to the stockpile. That's probably why you see them with the store item in stockpile job. You can reduce the time spent walking around by having a stockpile near the barracks.
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 1178