Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092175 times)

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11430 on: May 12, 2011, 04:16:15 pm »

Are you trying to pit thieves? Because they escape.
Normal goblins don't, unless the hauler is interrupted.

Nah, i was trying to pit a skeletal troglodyte.

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: May 13, 2011, 03:35:50 am »

I cannot for the life of me make my military squad active so they kill the goblins. It doesn't give me the option.

Update:
Nevermind. They are swarming him now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:38:08 am by El Payaso Malo »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11432 on: May 13, 2011, 03:37:50 am »

I cannot for the life of me make my military squad active so they kill the goblins. It doesn't give me the option.

squad created? go back to "main menu" press S.
press NUMBER of squad (1/2/3) then press T for training to become ACTIVE. Then press K for kill order and select enemy. enjoy bloodbath
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11433 on: May 13, 2011, 06:19:50 am »

I read on the wiki that dwarves in a strange mood will give cryptic hints about what they need. When do they this? I've had about eight go into strange moods, and none have said anything. They just sit there until the go crazy and start butchering people.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: May 13, 2011, 06:56:59 am »

I read on the wiki that dwarves in a strange mood will give cryptic hints about what they need. When do they this? I've had about eight go into strange moods, and none have said anything. They just sit there until the go crazy and start butchering people.
Press q and point at the workshop. You will find out what the dwarf wants.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11435 on: May 13, 2011, 07:27:01 am »

First, you need to have the right kind of workshop for the type of artifact they're trying to build.  You do not get any direct hints on this.  You need to look at their skills and see what their highest moodable skill is, or just build one of each kind of workshop until they seize one.  Then they'll start giving you hints as to what materials they need.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11436 on: May 13, 2011, 07:31:42 am »

When designating a Gauntlet or low-boot (or shoe) to be made, is that a pair or exactly 1 ? Its kind of a pain having to add 2 jobs for one pair or iron gauntlets etc.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11437 on: May 13, 2011, 08:13:04 am »

No. It is a set. Gauntlets work the same way. Greaves and leggings, despite the plural-sounding name, are a single item (metal pants).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11438 on: May 13, 2011, 08:57:50 am »

So, could I mod the raws for slade to prevent any nobles from demanding items made of it? As un-dwarfy as it is, I'd rather not have to arrange for unfortunate accidents.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11439 on: May 13, 2011, 09:15:30 am »

You can prevent nobles from making mandates for slade items by preventing any dwarves who like slade from becoming nobles.  You get to pick which dwarf becomes your Baron, and so long as you remember to check through your dwarves first to see who has easily met preferences beforehand.  The Mayor is elected, but you can manually reassign him through the Nobles screen, so if a mayor who likes slade is elected you can replace him with the guy who likes pig tails and iron.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11440 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:27 am »

Ok this is weird...
I have a Marksmen that fell into Melee range when he ran out of ammo. He took a smash to the ribs and one of them is red. He is Drowsy and Thirsty, I have two beds in my MASH that I just set up, the second wounded unit went to bed fine and is being diagnosed but this one is still outside and not moving. Nor has anyone really gone to go get him either...
Whats going on? Does Broken Rib mean that the Dwarf can't move but isn't damaged enough to be Rescued???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11441 on: May 13, 2011, 12:31:23 pm »

Whats going on? Does Broken Rib mean that the Dwarf can't move but isn't damaged enough to be Rescued???
There are 4 ways of looking at wounds a dwarf received.

1- (v)iew unit over the dwarf, wounds section. Gives an overview but no details.

2- Dwarf thoughts and preferences, either from the (u)nit list using (v) and enter, or (v)iew unit and then (z) and enter.  Gives a long boring description of wounds, not the most useful.

3- Dwarf health, either from the (u)nit list using (v) and (h), or (v)iew unit and then (z) and (h). The most useful, gives status (grasp impaired, nerve damages, standing lost), wound details, treatments needed (initially diagnosis, then suturing, surgery, cleaning, etc. on every single wounded parts) and treatment full history.

4- From the status screen (z), which you should use mostly for its stocks section. There's also a health section, go see it, but I never use it. The list isn't very practical.

Big open wounds need health care, as does broken bones. If the rib is damaged but not broken, time will heal it and there's nothing your medic can do.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:33:53 pm by Marthnn »
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11442 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »

4- From the status screen (z), which you should use mostly for its stocks section. There's also a health section, go see it, but I never use it. The list isn't very practical.

That list is relatively good for finding starving animals and starving/dehydrated dwarves. There is a bug which causes dwarves to teleport, sometimes to inaccessible area. I occasionally run through that list to find such dwarves. It also allows to quickly determine who is wounded. Only relatively good, because if you have 250 dwarves and 500 animals even quick check takes a while. There could be an option for filtering. For example military only, or non-animals.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: May 13, 2011, 07:23:45 pm »

Found the problem, for some reason everyone was still in my Alert Burrow. I could have sworn I removed it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11444 on: May 13, 2011, 07:51:05 pm »

If I melt a metal onject, with metal decorations, are some fractional bars of the decoration material recovered, or tottally lost?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1178