Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091662 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11475 on: May 14, 2011, 11:34:30 am »

Create a pasture (i)zone and assign them to it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11476 on: May 14, 2011, 11:42:46 am »

I have bulls that are hungry, what should I do about that? Let them graze (with a rope?) outdoor?

Butcher them.  Bulls are pretty much useless, unless you're breeding cows.  If you're breeding cows and need a bull, butcher all but one of them, and then assign that one to a pasture somewhere there is grass.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:14 am »

Does pump operation increase strength stats in the current version?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: May 14, 2011, 12:28:48 pm »

How long do chicken eggs take to hatch?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: May 14, 2011, 12:29:35 pm »

I trained a pump operator up from zero to Great and had no stats change.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: May 14, 2011, 12:50:55 pm »

I know that if you abandon during a siege or while a megabeast is on the field then all of your dwarves will die and the reclaim will be as described in the wiki.
However, what if you abandon during one of the few peace-times? I've grown tired of this particular map, but I've also become attached to some of my cooler/less-stupid dwarves and it would be nice to know if it's worth the effort of trying to visit them in adventure mode.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11481 on: May 14, 2011, 01:03:47 pm »

I know that if you abandon during a siege or while a megabeast is on the field then all of your dwarves will die and the reclaim will be as described in the wiki.
However, what if you abandon during one of the few peace-times? I've grown tired of this particular map, but I've also become attached to some of my cooler/less-stupid dwarves and it would be nice to know if it's worth the effort of trying to visit them in adventure mode.

they'll start moving out. if you're fast enough, you can come to the fortress and see everything AND everyone still in place (not the objects of stockpiles, but dwarfs, tables, and the like yes) they will slowly move out, and the fortress will get abbandoned.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: May 14, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »

they'll start moving out. if you're fast enough, you can come to the fortress and see everything AND everyone still in place (not the objects of stockpiles, but dwarfs, tables, and the like yes) they will slowly move out, and the fortress will get abbandoned.
Ah, that's a shame. It would be interesting if the fort continued to operate as a settlement after the fact.
I assume the dwarves just disappear after that, then?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: May 14, 2011, 01:36:37 pm »

Still not the fully living world we would like!  8)

Does a tutorial exists on butchering then processing animals, it seems I fail on a basic here.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: May 14, 2011, 01:45:20 pm »

Still not the fully living world we would like!  8)

Does a tutorial exists on butchering then processing animals, it seems I fail on a basic here.

[v]iew an animal you'd like to slaughter, then press [p] and hit s. If you have a butcher's workshop (b, w, u) set up and a dwarf with the appropiate labour (Butchering, natch), the hapless animal will be hauled off to the butchery, be executed with a quick slash along the neck, and be turned into a delicious pile of meat, giblets, bone, a skull, and (if applicable) horns and ivory.

If an animal is killed by a hunter, the hunter will take the dead animal to the refuse stockpile (if corpses are enabled, which they are by default), after which a butchering job will be queued up at the butchery and it'll be processed. Same with animals that get killed by your millitary, although any dwarf with hauling labors on may take that corpse to the stockpile.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: May 14, 2011, 03:15:46 pm »

Does pump operation increase strength stats in the current version?
Only if the pump is actually moving water or magma, I've been told. Haven't tested it myself.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: May 14, 2011, 03:30:19 pm »

Thank you Mister Always.

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: May 14, 2011, 03:48:22 pm »

My dwarves have piled up food quicker than the carpenter can make barrels. Is there a simple way to make them all pick up the food and put into barrels or is it a complicated process?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: May 14, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »

My dwarves have piled up food quicker than the carpenter can make barrels. Is there a simple way to make them all pick up the food and put into barrels or is it a complicated process?

They do it automatically if they have hauling labors on. Have you considered stopping the food production until Urist McWoody catches up?

Still waiting for an answer to my chicken question.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: May 14, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »

How long do chicken eggs take to hatch?
Several months, if a rooster fertilized them and the chicken stayed in the nest box all the time. The best way is to forbid the eggs in the nest.
If the eggs don't hatch after 2 seasons, they probably never will.

I suggest reading the Egg and Egg Production articles in the magmawiki.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1178