Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092183 times)

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11415 on: May 12, 2011, 01:16:06 pm »

Another set of small questions.

1. The refuse stockpile need to be technically "above ground" (and safe and sound in my floored up castle) or "outside" (and exposed to all flying enemies) to not generate miasma?

2. Glass floors and walls. Do they actually block the line of sight? If not, I have so much plans about 15 z-level deep pits and "dodge-this" traps. And a dining room around that.

3. Dealing with elite bowmen/crossbowmen squads. Does fortifications help in any way? Or height advantage? Or shields? Or just send in the axedwarves and hope for the best?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11416 on: May 12, 2011, 01:22:08 pm »

1. The refuse stockpile need to be technically "above ground" (and safe and sound in my floored up castle) or "outside" (and exposed to all flying enemies) to not generate miasma?

Refuse stockpiles don't generate miasma if they're above ground, so you can safely cover them with a roof.

2. Glass floors and walls. Do they actually block the line of sight? If not, I have so much plans about 15 z-level deep pits and "dodge-this" traps. And a dining room around that.

Glass block walls and floors block line-of-sight just like stone walls do.  If you want something that you can see through but can't path through, use a fortification and/or window.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: May 12, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »

3. Dealing with elite bowmen/crossbowmen squads. Does fortifications help in any way? Or height advantage? Or shields? Or just send in the axedwarves and hope for the best?
I keep reading elite ranged attackers ignore fortifications, so they shouldn't help (except to block shots from less skilled ennemies). Height is only added distance, so no.
Shields help, if the soldier is trained to block (shield-user skill). Dodging helps too.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: May 12, 2011, 01:59:05 pm »

Shields and shield skill are, apparently, the best defense against ranged attackers.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11419 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:33 pm »

If I were trying to find a plateau (a small raised area surrounded by flat land) but I haven't found such a site in a while. What exactly should I be looking for from embark?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: May 12, 2011, 02:36:13 pm »

On the embark screen, [tab] over until it shows the height (either the white-blue height tracker or the numbered height variations display), and look for a raised area.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: May 12, 2011, 02:54:05 pm »

I need a way to drop large amounts of opponents into an arena, but using levers is way too slow for me. If i dropped the cage from a height would it break it open, creature inside ready to do battle?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: May 12, 2011, 02:56:26 pm »

No.  Cages, like all objects, are not affected by falls.  You need to either build the cages, link levers to them, and pull the levers, or drop the opponents into the area by creating a pit zone and designating the opponents to be dumped in the pit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: May 12, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »

No.  Cages, like all objects, are not affected by falls.  You need to either build the cages, link levers to them, and pull the levers, or drop the opponents into the area by creating a pit zone and designating the opponents to be dumped in the pit.
Thats an excellent idea, I'll try it out. Hmm. What if i built the cage on a retracting bridge above the arena, then retracted the bridge?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:45 pm »

You can't build a building (such as a cage) in a space already occupied by another building (such as a bridge).  So you can't build a cage on a bridge, or on a floor hatch or grate or anything else.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: May 12, 2011, 03:02:32 pm »

You can't build a building (such as a cage) in a space already occupied by another building (such as a bridge).  So you can't build a cage on a bridge, or on a floor hatch or grate or anything else.
Damn. Well thanks for the pit-dump idea!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: May 12, 2011, 03:13:01 pm »

Be careful though; if your dwarves can see the loose prisoners in the room, they'll get scared and run away, dragging the prisoner they have with them. I've had this issue myself, and ended up losing half my goblin prisoners as the civilians fled and the military (whose barracks the prisoners were being led through) were forced to chop them into giblets.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: May 12, 2011, 03:21:24 pm »

How often do Black Bears mate?
I have a breeding pair pastured so I can butcher the cubs for meat and bones and stuff.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11428 on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »

Bah, i tried it but the creatures just got set free and went on rampages. Any other thoughts?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11429 on: May 12, 2011, 03:53:34 pm »

Are you trying to pit thieves? Because they escape.
Normal goblins don't, unless the hauler is interrupted.
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1178