Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115794 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9450 on: March 05, 2011, 09:11:48 am »

Steel weapons (probably axes, swords, etc.)
helms are good,

I got a lucky weapon mood early on, so I've got pretty good steel coverage on weapons.
Oh cool, then helms and breastplates and mail shirts are probably good

and bronze armor should be good. Shields... depends. I usually make them from wood to save resources (they don't break... yet.) but they bash badly.

Does shield material not change protection?
Nope, from my and others' tests
but don't forget the cloth too.

I don't actually get this part, would someone mind explaining?
Don't forget hoods/hats/ other clothing to protect from blunt attacks (that shatter bones)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:32:39 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9451 on: March 05, 2011, 09:31:33 am »

I got a lucky weapon mood early on, so I've got pretty good steel coverage on weapons.
Oh cool, then helms and breastplates and mail shirts are probably bad

bad?

Don't forget hoods/hats/ other clothing to protect from blunt attacks (that shatter bones)

Would leather or cloth be idea for this?  Or if cloth, are all cloth types equally good?

For that matter, is there a good reference for this?  The only mention of blunt protection I see on the armor page suggests using breastplates and greaves because they are more rigid.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: March 05, 2011, 09:33:47 am »

Oh cool, then helms and breastplates and mail shirts are probably bad

bad?
Fix'd  :-[

Would leather or cloth be idea for this?  Or if cloth, are all cloth types equally good?
Leather is slightly better (from tests)

For that matter, is there a good reference for this?  The only mention of blunt protection I see on the armor page suggests using breastplates and greaves because they are more rigid.
There was a thread in some section of the forums... also the modding section has some stuff on this.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: March 05, 2011, 09:42:57 am »

What happens to rooms when dwarfs marry? Sompe people readjust bedrooms after marrige, but I haven't seen any ill effects from not doing that. If this is just about married couple owning two bedrooms while needing 1 I'm fine with that, I can simply designate more bedrooms when I need them.

Answered ~2 pages back. Short answer: Married couples share.
Discussed, but this exact question was not answered, otherwise I wouldn't ask. What do you mean "they share". My guess is, I get two dwarfs occupying 2 bedrooms, and I'm fine with that, but "married couples share" can have other interpretations, and for some reason people still bother to readjust bedrooms on marrige. I'm inquiring about the nature of such readjustment. Are they freeing up one of previously owned bedrooms, so that now 2 dwarfs have one bedroom, and one is free, or what? 

Is it generally a good idea to use gold / platinum / aluminum in unsmelted form for mason's workshop (profiled to legendary +5 masons ofc)? Some things can be made from rock or metal, and using rock is easier. I once got a bunch of mason'ed tin doors from quantum dump mismanagement. Sure, I need to smelt metal to make chains, and corkscrews, and such, but not coffers for example. Can I smelt metal furniture made at masons worksop (from ore)? What should I make with precious metals, beside statue garden? I should probably get about a 100 bars of every kind of alloy for strange moods and mandates, but beside that alloys don't seem overally better than simple metals. Is there other reason to make them beside moods, mandates, color-coding, and mariginall increase in overall value, while bars of alloys are still less valuable than one of its ingrediants? Well, reasons for making steel, bronze and bismuth bronze are kinda obvious, but are there any other alloys, that I should make on a metal-rich embark? Oh, and sometimes I can make 2 bars from 1 smelting job with alloys, but I use magma worksops and my smelters are faster than metalworking, so I don't care.
  You could, But there's really no reason. Precious metals are better worked by a metalsmith.

I asked a few questions, and that answer is too short.
a) Why make metalsmith'ed furniture when mason'ed is just as expensive, and doesn't need smelting and forging? 
b) Can furniture made by mason from ore be smelted?
c) Is there a reason to make things out of rose gold, electrum and such, when there is enough gold, platinum and aluminum around?
d) What is a good use for gold, platinum and aluninum?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: March 05, 2011, 09:57:42 am »

What exactly does the INVADERS option in d_init encompass? Is it just sieges, or is it also ambushes? Does it also include thieves and snatchers? Is is basically just all hostile beings coming from outside of the map? What about megabeasts and forgotten beasts?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: March 05, 2011, 10:04:25 am »

I asked a few questions, and that answer is too short.
a) Why make metalsmith'ed furniture when mason'ed is just as expensive, and doesn't need smelting and forging? 
b) Can furniture made by mason from ore be smelted?
c) Is there a reason to make things out of rose gold, electrum and such, when there is enough gold, platinum and aluminum around?
d) What is a good use for gold, platinum and aluninum?
a) I usually do because it is a pain in the butt to actually get your masons to use a particular type of stone.
b) No
c) Because you can.
d) Decoration
Memento Mori

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: March 05, 2011, 10:15:53 am »

What exactly does the INVADERS option in d_init encompass? Is it just sieges, or is it also ambushes? Does it also include thieves and snatchers? Is is basically just all hostile beings coming from outside of the map? What about megabeasts and forgotten beasts?
It's sieges, ambushes, and IIRC megabeasts/FB's. Thieves will still come however, and so will wild animals. Not completely sure about the FB's though...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: March 05, 2011, 10:42:48 am »

I imagine that since FBs are on the map to start with they don't count as invaders. At least, I think they're already on the map at the beginning, I haven't played in some time :P

Also, another question; why do people seem to think that central stairways are dangerous? I've never had anything go wrong with them, could someone point out their potential dangers please?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:47:43 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: March 05, 2011, 10:53:07 am »

I imagine that since FBs are on the map to start with they don't count as invaders. At least, I think they're already on the map at the beginning, I haven't played in some time :P
Nope, they come in from the sides.

Also, another question; why do people seem to think that central stairways are dangerous? I've never had anything go wrong with them, could someone point out their potential dangers please?
if someone falls down them the stairs don't stop them, i.e. they fall all the way down.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: March 05, 2011, 10:55:37 am »

Dwarfs can fall down stairs? I had no idea, I've never had that happen! You learn something every day. Are there any other dangers? I imagine having just one passage from top to bottom could be dangerous when you need to get everyone out and there's only a thin staircase to take everyone. Plus, flooding from the top would take the entire fortress much quicker than a decentralised staircase system, I guess.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: March 05, 2011, 10:57:27 am »

Dwarfs can fall down stairs? I had no idea, I've never had that happen! You learn something every day. Are there any other dangers? I imagine having just one passage from top to bottom could be dangerous when you need to get everyone out and there's only a thin staircase to take everyone. Plus, flooding from the top would take the entire fortress much quicker than a decentralised staircase system, I guess.
That too. Also, hatches in decentralized systems will stop folks (even building destroyers!) from going up.

I usually make it a centralized, staggered system.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: March 05, 2011, 11:42:24 am »

It's sieges, ambushes, and IIRC megabeasts/FB's. Thieves will still come however, and so will wild animals. Not completely sure about the FB's though...
I've never had thieves while playing with invasions off. Certain kinds of wild animals will be stopped as well, such as buzzards and rhesus macaques. That's definitely the [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] tag accounted for, not sure about guzzlers and item snatchers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: March 05, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »

how to move between z-levels in 31.19?? < and > didnt seemtowork

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: March 05, 2011, 02:37:48 pm »

how to move between z-levels in 31.19?? < and > didnt seemtowork
They should be working.
Are you certain that you havn't remapped them? Hit CAPSLOCK?

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: March 05, 2011, 03:08:21 pm »

Is there some way you can equip a military to avoid being damaged by creatures made of fire/steam? I know you're not exactly supposed to survive the incredible levels of fun that come from digging too deep, but seeing fifteen Legendary++ dwarves get helplessly melted and bleed out - in spite of hacking their opponents apart and seemingly blocking or dodging every actual swing - is a slightly anticlimactic final battle.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1178