Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115795 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9480 on: March 06, 2011, 11:38:43 am »

how fast do grass regrow?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: March 06, 2011, 01:36:58 pm »

Depends on soil and climate, I think. I have a mix of sand and loam tiles, and there is some difference in how quickly they regen.

Nonetheless, I assigned my critters huge pastures and they've been okay so far.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: March 06, 2011, 01:46:12 pm »

How do you reliably assign your xbowmen into a burrow?

Is stationing better, or defending burrow superior? If the latter, is it better to assign them to an alert status and schedule it to defend burrow?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: March 06, 2011, 02:13:43 pm »

How do you reliably assign your xbowmen into a burrow?

Is stationing better, or defending burrow superior? If the latter, is it better to assign them to an alert status and schedule it to defend burrow?
stationing get more men there NOW but alert status is more automated.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: March 06, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »

I usually send them along routes *whistles*
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: March 06, 2011, 03:45:40 pm »

Ah, I have some small stockpile/container questions that I guess I'll add here, rather than making another new topic...

a) Is there any way to get Urist McBucketwaster to start shifting some of the milk in the seed/produce stockpile into barrels? I'm using a lot of barrels, but I checked the stocks and have some empty, and I know the stockpile allows them because I have seed barrels in the same pile. And yet here all these buckets of various milk sit around, wasting space and buckets.

b) I have some clothing items just sitting around, despite having a) idle dwarves that can haul stuff around, and b) cloth, finished goods and armor stockpiles with room in them (I think they go in the goods/armor ones depending on where they're worn, but not positive). Is it because they're on a farm plot, which is a "building" or something? I checked, and they're not forbidden or anything... anyone know what's up with those?

c) I've seen mention of hospital supplies being stored in a hospital, but I can never figure out how to actually get the supplies in the hospital! I have bags and chests built (and counted in the hospital information screen), the hospital zone set up (and encompassing them), I haven't lowered the max items or anything, the aforementioned haulers sitting around twiddling their thumbs... even if I build more crutches and splints, and have the goods stockpile forbidding them, they just sit around in the workshop rather than being put away in the hospital. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, and I hope these aren't too much for this thread, I was wavering between posting them here and posting a new thread, I figured I'd err on the side of not spamming the board.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: March 06, 2011, 03:56:49 pm »

a) The only think I can think of is to wait and hope.

b) Are the clothes owned by a dwarf? If so, build a cabinet in their bedroom.

c) Are the containers fill up with cloth and thread? Build the containers two or three at a time, so that they are filled with different materials, instead of all one thing.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: March 06, 2011, 04:00:21 pm »

a) The only think I can think of is to wait and hope.

b) Are the clothes owned by a dwarf? If so, build a cabinet in their bedroom.

c) Are the containers fill up with cloth and thread? Build the containers two or three at a time, so that they are filled with different materials, instead of all one thing.
try dumping if any of those don't work.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: March 06, 2011, 04:41:06 pm »

What water level is safe for dwarves to move in? Reason I ask is I decided to put my dwarven bath house concept to work. All the plumbing for pumping and draining as well as the interior is complete. I've made a burrow in the pool as well as above it.
On acivating the burrow for all civilians every single dwarf simply freezes. They are refusing to budge and get in the pool.
The pool has a water level of 3 to 4. I read that up to 4 is safe for a dwarf to stand in. What gives?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: March 06, 2011, 05:21:13 pm »

1, 2, and 3/7 are safe, 4/7 are above are not.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: March 06, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »

Ah, thanks, the clothes were actually belongings of a dwarf. Gave him his own bedroom, gave him cabinets, and he eventually put them away.

I figured out that the hospital problem was because I'd also designated it the office of the head medical dwarf, since he was a noble. I decreased the 'office space' so it only covered his chair and table and not the containers, and *whoosh* everyone starts cramming supplies in the chests. (And why is it that I can muse over something for days, not get anywhere, then post about it and suddenly get a bright idea why it's not working?)

As for the milk... tried the dumping/reclaiming, but it's still all in buckets. I can only assume I've just got too much stuff for barrels and not enough barrels to put them in, and the empty ones were already claimed or something but just not filled yet. :/ I'll just keep cranking out barrels and hoping to catch up.

Thanks again!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »

Stockpile question: I want to have a stockpile near my crafts and jewelers shops so that they can decorate furniture more easily, but I only want it to accept non-decorated furniture of high quality. I can do quality, but how would I go about making sure it isn't already decorated? My thought was to set the stockpile to not accept the materials I'll be using to decorate, but only bone is there. Would that plan even work?

And related question, I'd also like a stockpile that only accepts decorated furniture so I can have a place for it to go afterwards that isn't simply a catchall stockpile- is this possible?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:02 pm »

This thread implies that most people who build dwarven water reactors plug into them from above. I didn't know that was even possible, so now I have to ask how it's done.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: March 07, 2011, 01:49:48 am »

This thread implies that most people who build dwarven water reactors plug into them from above. I didn't know that was even possible, so now I have to ask how it's done.
go to the z-level above and channel down to it. just put a gear there.
Done!
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:42 am »

Is there any way to get the embark info readout to show layers like it used to?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1178