Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115725 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9435 on: March 05, 2011, 01:44:22 am »

Yes
Memento Mori

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: March 05, 2011, 02:01:08 am »

My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: March 05, 2011, 03:41:10 am »

What happens to rooms when dwarfs marry? Sompe people readjust bedrooms after marrige, but I haven't seen any ill effects from not doing that. If this is just about married couple owning two bedrooms while needing 1 I'm fine with that, I can simply designate more bedrooms when I need them.

Is it generally a good idea to use gold / platinum / aluminum in unsmelted form for mason's workshop (profiled to legendary +5 masons ofc)? Some things can be made from rock or metal, and using rock is easier. I once got a bunch of mason'ed tin doors from quantum dump mismanagement. Sure, I need to smelt metal to make chains, and corkscrews, and such, but not coffers for example. Can I smelt metal furniture made at masons worksop (from ore)? What should I make with precious metals, beside statue garden? I should probably get about a 100 bars of every kind of alloy for strange moods and mandates, but beside that alloys don't seem overally better than simple metals. Is there other reason to make them beside moods, mandates, color-coding, and mariginall increase in overall value, while bars of alloys are still less valuable than one of its ingrediants? Well, reasons for making steel, bronze and bismuth bronze are kinda obvious, but are there any other alloys, that I should make on a metal-rich embark? Oh, and sometimes I can make 2 bars from 1 smelting job wit alloys, but I use magma worksops and my smelters are faster than metalworking, so I don't care. 

I've noticed a distinct lack of phallic megaprojects in DF after wieving a few sucession games, and maps on that website with maps. This is rather surprising. I mean penis is one of symbols that is frequently drawn on walls, Spore is famous for people making phallic creatures, etc. I'm not a sex organ worhiper myself, I just noticed a broken pattern. Is it that DF players are somewhat more mature than overall player population or what?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: March 05, 2011, 04:29:43 am »

What happens to rooms when dwarfs marry? Sompe people readjust bedrooms after marrige, but I haven't seen any ill effects from not doing that. If this is just about married couple owning two bedrooms while needing 1 I'm fine with that, I can simply designate more bedrooms when I need them. Answered ~2 pages back. Short answer: Married couples share.

Is it generally a good idea to use gold / platinum / aluminum in unsmelted form for mason's workshop (profiled to legendary +5 masons ofc)? Some things can be made from rock or metal, and using rock is easier. I once got a bunch of mason'ed tin doors from quantum dump mismanagement. Sure, I need to smelt metal to make chains, and corkscrews, and such, but not coffers for example. Can I smelt metal furniture made at masons worksop (from ore)? What should I make with precious metals, beside statue garden? I should probably get about a 100 bars of every kind of alloy for strange moods and mandates, but beside that alloys don't seem overally better than simple metals. Is there other reason to make them beside moods, mandates, color-coding, and mariginall increase in overall value, while bars of alloys are still less valuable than one of its ingrediants? Well, reasons for making steel, bronze and bismuth bronze are kinda obvious, but are there any other alloys, that I should make on a metal-rich embark? Oh, and sometimes I can make 2 bars from 1 smelting job wit alloys, but I use magma worksops and my smelters are faster than metalworking, so I don't care.  You could, But there's really no reason. Precious metals are better worked by a metalsmith.

I've noticed a distinct lack of phallic megaprojects in DF after wieving a few sucession games, and maps on that website with maps. This is rather surprising. I mean penis is one of symbols that is frequently drawn on walls, Spore is famous for people making phallic creatures, etc. I'm not a sex organ worhiper myself, I just noticed a broken pattern. Is it that DF players are somewhat more mature than overall player population or what? I doubt it, Just too busy slaughtering dwarves -or goblins, or humans, or elves... Essentially, too much violence to get into sex gear. Kinda like that awkward part in the middle of Hostel, where they're switching from sex to violence.

In bold, above.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: March 05, 2011, 07:08:08 am »

How can i catch a wild rattlesnake that claimed a nest? I want to tame it
Desu

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: March 05, 2011, 07:14:16 am »

How can i catch a wild rattlesnake that claimed a nest? I want to tame it
Set cage traps all around the nest. Probably a good idea to leave them there once you've caught the snake. that way, the elk bird rushing up from the caverns to claim it gets caught, too.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: March 05, 2011, 07:26:03 am »

Now another question , how i make THOSE SISSY DWARVES place a trap around it , they keep getting intrerupted and scarred by the rattle snake , damn i had to kill it , but anyways answer i want to know how to catch it and stop the intrerupt things sometimes
Desu

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: March 05, 2011, 07:54:09 am »

Well, I would have walled it in(If I could) and put a cage at the only exit. If I were building this ahead of time, I'd build a "Bird vacuum":
Code: [Select]
#######
D+DND^D
#######

Key:
# Wall.
D Door.
N Nest.
^ Trap.
Use the empty floor tile for releasing wild birds into the nest for breeding purposes, catch them on the way out, and catch new ones by leaving the trapped side open. Which brings me to the best part... it can be controlled by forbidding/unforbidding the doors, or levers can be used.
Now another question , how i make THOSE SISSY DWARVES place a trap around it , they keep getting intrerupted and scarred by the rattle snake , damn i had to kill it , but anyways answer i want to know how to catch it and stop the intrerupt things sometimes

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: March 05, 2011, 07:59:40 am »

Well, I would have walled it in(If I could) and put a cage at the only exit. If I were building this ahead of time, I'd build a "Bird vacuum":
Code: [Select]
#######
D+DND^D
#######

Key:
# Wall.
D Door.
N Nest.
^ Trap.
Use the empty floor tile for releasing wild birds into the nest for breeding purposes, catch them on the way out, and catch new ones by leaving the trapped side open. Which brings me to the best part... it can be controlled by forbidding/unforbidding the doors, or levers can be used.

My future motto: When Toady gives you something, weaponize it.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: March 05, 2011, 08:05:01 am »

Even the kittens. ESPECIALLY the kittens.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: March 05, 2011, 08:07:33 am »

That's a "bug" I would be fine with keeping.

Nothing is more !!Fun!! than forgetting to protect your nest boxes from your caverns and having a herd of elk-bird (or Worse!!) come pouring through, Bound and determined to lay an egg in your fortress.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: March 05, 2011, 08:22:11 am »

Any suggestions for the biggest armor upgrade priorities?

I have abundant bronze and my armorer just hit legendary, so I'm trying to figure out what I should make with my very limited steel stocks.

My current thought is shields and perhaps helms if I have enough left over.

Does that sound right to you guys?

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: March 05, 2011, 08:26:29 am »

I got an odd problem with a dwarf that is in a mysterious mood.

I got everything he needs. 2x leather, 1x cloth, 1xbones

But after grabbing the leather and bones he refuses to grab cloth.
I got like 10 bins filled with various amount of cloth and silk and he just isn't going there and grabbing it.

Kinda annoyed and also worried that he will end up going crazy and start a tantrum spiral.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: March 05, 2011, 08:38:22 am »

Any suggestions for the biggest armor upgrade priorities?
I have abundant bronze and my armorer just hit legendary, so I'm trying to figure out what I should make with my very limited steel stocks.
My current thought is shields and perhaps helms if I have enough left over.
Does that sound right to you guys?
Steel weapons (probably axes, swords, etc.) and bronze armor should be good. Shields... depends. I usually make them from wood to save resources (they don't break... yet.) but they bash badly.
helms are good, but don't forget the cloth too.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: March 05, 2011, 08:50:05 am »

Steel weapons (probably axes, swords, etc.)
helms are good,

I got a lucky weapon mood early on, so I've got pretty good steel coverage on weapons.

and bronze armor should be good. Shields... depends. I usually make them from wood to save resources (they don't break... yet.) but they bash badly.

Does shield material not change protection?

but don't forget the cloth too.

I don't actually get this part, would someone mind explaining?
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 1178