Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115174 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9075 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »

Was hoping to get this question in before someone answered :(

Do barrels only hold 10 prepared foods (for instance, 10 roasts or 7 roasts and 3 stews) All those barrels I've wasted holding only one item.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: February 23, 2011, 10:47:21 pm »

Was hoping to get this question in before someone answered :(

Do barrels only hold 10 prepared foods (for instance, 10 roasts or 7 roasts and 3 stews) All those barrels I've wasted holding only one item.
Barrels typically hold a max of ten units, yes. Exceptions off the top of my head are seeds, quarry bush leaves and alcohol. The first two are stored in bags which are then stored in barrels. The third is dependent on how big the plant stack was when it was brewed. A five-stack will produce 25 units of alcohol from what I've read elsewhere on the forums.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:18 am »

in order to qualify a mood, does a dwarf need only dabbling in a moodable, or does he need a whole novice level?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: February 24, 2011, 01:18:35 am »

in order to qualify a mood, does a dwarf need only dabbling in a moodable, or does he need a whole novice level?

Dwarves can get moods with no levels in anything (They will use a crafting skill for their mood. blah).
if they have even dabbling in a moodable skill, however, then that will be the skill used. If they have more than one, the highest trained skill will be the one used, even if it was only a slightly better dabbling than the other dabbling.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: February 24, 2011, 06:59:32 am »

...So yeah. I haven't had much luck with getting them to use the right bolts or any bolts, but when they do they seem pretty brutal. If 3 bone bolts can cripple a goblin it would be pretty devastating if you actually got 5 guys shooting steel bolts.
Well keeping them supplied shouldn't be too hard.  Just keep ammo literally at the site where you want them to defend.  Btw, were you using kill orders agatharchides?  Or were they just stationed somewhere.
The bolts were 3 z levels down the stairs in the barracks, not right next to them but hardly inaccessible either. I never tried kill orders though, I just stationed them.
well I've officially given up on the whole crossbows thing.  Things went fine, but when I made a second archery raneg for the squad to train at, they stopped training.  FOREVER.  Nothing made them train ever again.  They would constantly get "going to archery practice, and then IMMEDAITELY back to no job.  It might also be because they ran out of ammo and never got any more for no reason.

I'm not sure what it's like in .19, but in .18 crossbow bolts, quivers, archery targets, and archery in general is pretty buggy. There are at least a few workarounds, however.

For the beard-tingling fear of Armok WHY do my dorfling archers NOT attack the sniggering goblins not ten tiles away?
I am not sure why range is a problem, but I have received that same message regarding my hunters, even when there is plenty of ammunition just lying around. Following it, they usually go acquire more (eventually).
there is a stockpile BETWEEN THEM AND THE ENEMY.

There is a current bug (it's been reported on the tracker) that marksdwarves do not pick up bolts that have been hauled to a stockpile. Not even if you delete the stockpile afterwards. It's like the bolts somehow become invisible once a hauler picks them up. In order to work properly, the marksdwarves have to go to the workshop (or forge) and pick up the fresh bolts.

As a workaround, I've been building craftsdwarf's workshops in my towers, on the floor just below the fortifications and archery range, then have that workshop, and only that workshop, make bone bolts. It seems to work - all my bone bolts are consumed by training at the archery range.

there's another bug that marksdwarves don't respect bolt material assignments for training/combat - i.e. they will happily use up all your metal bolts at the range, and shoot bone bolts at goblins, despite your C or T setting in the ammunition screen.

How do I assign quivers to my Marksdorfs?
I have several hunters that were assigned to a "archer" squad.
They go hunting normally, shooting everything in their path, but when I assign a kill order, some drop their quivers on the nearest stockpile and go fighting using the crossbows as melee weapons.
Get rid of the Hunting labor. The quiver they use for hunting is considered part of the "hunter" uniform, not the military one, so when they change uniforms, they toss it on the ground and say where's my milityary quiver? I don't seem to have one." Same issue that crops up with picks and axes.

In addition, I've read that archery targets must be designated as such individually - one at a time - rather than as a group.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:22 am »

If you have an evil biome where everything is dead, do trees grow back?
Memento Mori

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: February 24, 2011, 10:38:08 am »

If you have an evil biome where everything is dead, do trees grow back?

Nope.

Supposing you have a forgotten beast that can fly that appears in your second cavern, which has a large pool of water, and you've dug a channel that's above the water and built a well. Can the forgotten beast climb up the well?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: February 24, 2011, 11:00:54 am »

Supposing you have a forgotten beast that can fly that appears in your second cavern, which has a large pool of water, and you've dug a channel that's above the water and built a well. Can the forgotten beast climb up the well?

Depending on the depth of the channel, It might not even need to fly.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: February 24, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »

Depending on the depth of the channel, It might not even need to fly.

Here's how to deal with FB flying up your well:

Wall grates seem to act similar to fortifications, in that creatures can be pushed through them by flowing water.  Floor grates let water through without letting creatures through.

For this reason, when making irrigation from streams or rivers, I make "catches" at the mouth.

Top view:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Irrigation tunnel continues to the right.
The two 'catches' will get anything which manages to get pushed by river flow.

This is done in multiple steps, obviously.
The river is breached last, from above.

A bit complicated, but I've never had a "surprise visitor" in my well since I started doing that.

How to prevent a water source from flooding your fort via a well:
Wiki > Checker-Board Pressure Regulator

More useful tips in well-building:

Make sure to figure out how to make an underground well with floodgates and tunnels without drowning yourself, or else figure out how to wall up your aboveground wall completely with an underground entrance. BONUS PROTIP: Put the underground well near your hospital if you'd like it to do anything.
ADDITIONAL BONUS PROTIP:  Whenever you make a well, ever, treat it like it is salt water.  Build a cistern under where the well will be placed (I recommend using multiple z levels for the cistern, just so it will be able to store lots of water for emergencies.)  Make sure that the cistern has entirely artificial walls and floors.  Next, build a pump that will fill the cistern with pure water.  Profit.  The reason why I suggest this as opposed to just digging a hole for freshwater when it is available, is that if you allow water to contact natural walls it will become stagnant water when taken from a well.  If the well is filled with pump filtered water and only contacts artificial walls it remains "water" without that stagnant tag.  This may reduce the magnitude of the unhappy thought from drinking water and it may reduce the risk of infection when using water to clean surgery patients.

Water will clean goo off dwarves, but then it sticks to walls/floors etc , which is where dfhack/magma comes in.... \o/ yay magma
oh and it also filthys up your water which you can filter with a fortification/grate. but the crap sticks to your grate and you'll need magma or dfhack to clean it off...

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: February 24, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »

Do i get only 1 leather from slaughtering creatures? Or do I get more leather from large animals (like meat, bone, tallow, etc.)?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9085 on: February 24, 2011, 03:22:53 pm »

All animals yield at most a single 'skin' item when slaughtered, which makes a single leather item when tanned.  So you get the same amount of leather from an elephant or a cat.

You can get more leather from non-tame animals if you kill them in a way that results in their bodies being torn to pieces, like a hallway full of serrated steel disks or a 40 Z-level drop.  Each separated body part will give a piece of skin when butchered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: February 24, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »

I embarked in an evil area and a lot of the ground is covered in, um, eyeballs on stalks. Will this actually work for animal feed or will I have to break a cavern?
Memento Mori

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9087 on: February 24, 2011, 07:03:48 pm »

At the moment, grazing animals will eat staring eyeball and wormy tendril grass as if it were normal with no ill effects.  I'm hoping this will change in the future, but at the moment it's just cosmetic.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: February 24, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »

All my nobles died (along with everyone but a single child, who luckily lived until a migrant wave) and now nothing appears on the nobles screen. There is no list, and I can't create a militia commander. How do I get the list back?

EDIT: The problem seems to be that I have no expedition leader. How do I get one of the migrants to accept the responsibility?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:40:43 pm by Samuel »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: February 24, 2011, 08:27:00 pm »

Thanks. However, after loosing all my livestock to beak dogs and harpies in the first spring I may be going to the caverns anyway as the safer place.  :P
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1178