Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115173 times)

Tuonelan renki

• Bay Watcher
  • Knitting black wool.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9045 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »

Okay, got an artifact steel mail shirt (studded with steel and encircled with ever fashionable turkey leather) - my military, however, is already armoured with steel breastplates of varying quality.

Any idea how well - if at all - the artifact mail shirt compares to *steel breastplate*, for instance?
"We'll trade all your gold, cheese and prepared rabbit intestines to this box full of crap we carved out of limestone."
-Rockworks Sprayedswords, Baron of Helmsplunge

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:05 pm »

these can be layered.
mail shirt is slightly worse usually vs stab but better vs blunt. artifact will help a lot.

make your most badass guy wear it.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tuonelan renki

• Bay Watcher
  • Knitting black wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: February 23, 2011, 03:49:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't know about that possibility of layering chain and plate.
"We'll trade all your gold, cheese and prepared rabbit intestines to this box full of crap we carved out of limestone."
-Rockworks Sprayedswords, Baron of Helmsplunge

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: February 23, 2011, 03:51:25 pm »

When using eggs for food/cooking, does the eggsize matter in any way?

Do all egglayers lay eggs at the same speed?

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: February 23, 2011, 04:30:44 pm »

Why can't I see the weapons and armors in the stock list? I bought some of those expressly for melting them down.

Any other way to assign those items for melting?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: February 23, 2011, 04:42:41 pm »

Why can't I see the weapons and armors in the stock list? I bought some of those expressly for melting them down.

Any other way to assign those items for melting?

First, make sure you have a bookkeeper, and an office for her to work in, and you've told her to use a sufficiently high standard of bookkeeping to be able to count all your weapons/armor correctly.  Then wait until she's counted everything....

Once you can see individual items of that kind on the stocks screen, you can mark them for melting from there -- either en masse as a category, or individually, by pressing Tab to switch between category/individual views.

You can always mark things for melting the old-fashioned way, too, by going to the item in your fortress using (k).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

rwryne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: February 23, 2011, 05:54:53 pm »

.19 question: my dwarves do not seem to be putting food in barrels.  I have a lot of extra barrels in my furniture stockpile, and plenty of food...only the booze is going into barrels though.  What am I missing here?

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: February 23, 2011, 06:04:21 pm »

Do individual drills give ANY skill gains in the new version?  I've had novice dwarves go at it for about a year and pop out novice.

Also, do crossbow bolts always go through dwarves on their way to their enemies, or is there friendly fire?

.19 question: my dwarves do not seem to be putting food in barrels.  I have a lot of extra barrels in my furniture stockpile, and plenty of food...only the booze is going into barrels though.  What am I missing here?

Works fine for me, at a guess you just have a lack of haulers.  I know booze automatically goes to barrels, not sure if that's true for food.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:05:53 pm by Greep »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9053 on: February 23, 2011, 06:10:46 pm »

What kind of food?  Barrels only store stacks of up to 10.  Prepared meals and meat from very large animals can easily exceed that size.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: February 23, 2011, 06:11:38 pm »

these can be layered.
mail shirt is slightly worse usually vs stab but better vs blunt.
Reference? Is this confirmed? From the section in the wiki it seems plate > mail.

Do individual drills give ANY skill gains in the new version?  I've had novice dwarves go at it for about a year and pop out novice.

Also, do crossbow bolts always go through dwarves on their way to their enemies, or is there friendly fire?

Looking at Dwarf-therapist, yes individual combat drills do give exp. Expect it to take a while. (read: don't rely on individual drills. Get some more squad mates or go harass the wilderness.)

There is no friendly fire. I have yet to see a bolt hit anything it is not intended to hit (except for walls but that's not the same.)

rwryne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: February 23, 2011, 06:16:01 pm »

What kind of food?  Barrels only store stacks of up to 10.  Prepared meals and meat from very large animals can easily exceed that size.

Any and all.  Plump helmet stacks, tallow, meat, fish, etc.  There is literally not a single piece of food in a barrel.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: February 23, 2011, 07:23:05 pm »

Just how good are marksmen anyways?  It seems like they'd be a good starting squad if it turns out they have old skill gain rates.  A legendary marksmen with steel bolts is surely better than a competent axeman with a steel axe right?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: February 23, 2011, 07:29:41 pm »

If you can get them to actually train and pick up the steel bolts at the right time they are pretty good.
Memento Mori

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: February 23, 2011, 07:39:10 pm »

awesome.  The material for crossbows doesn't matter right?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: February 23, 2011, 07:44:09 pm »

Only when they hit things with them.
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 1178