Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115172 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #5955 on: December 11, 2010, 11:27:56 pm »

So have a good 50 - 70 (i havent exactly counted them) prisoners now and my gladiators arena isnt ready yet.  I dont plan on killing them before then but i would like access to the cages.  Is there any way to put all the prisoners into 1 cage?  And if yes, is it safe/can i make it safe?

Also, whats the difference between having my guys wear their armor over civ clothes or wearing it instead of civ clothes?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:36:42 pm by Ifeno »
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: December 11, 2010, 11:42:29 pm »

I'm Making a bit of a sky bridge. It consists of a bunch of bridges connected to each other. When placing my supports, should they be at the end of one bridge or at the beginning of the next bridge? Does it even matter?
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: December 11, 2010, 11:47:34 pm »

I'm Making a bit of a sky bridge. It consists of a bunch of bridges connected to each other. When placing my supports, should they be at the end of one bridge or at the beginning of the next bridge? Does it even matter?
The beginning of the next, raising bridges need the support on the side they raise in.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:12 am »

So have a good 50 - 70 (i havent exactly counted them) prisoners now and my gladiators arena isnt ready yet.  I dont plan on killing them before then but i would like access to the cages.  Is there any way to put all the prisoners into 1 cage?  And if yes, is it safe/can i make it safe?

Also, whats the difference between having my guys wear their armor over civ clothes or wearing it instead of civ clothes?
Yes it is technically possible to put them all into 1 cage but since they are prisoners they want to run away. So if you build a cage and want all prisoners assigned there then they will probably run off when taken out. There is a chance if you build the cages exactly next to eachother.
I think if they wear it with the civ clothes then they are more protected.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: December 12, 2010, 02:02:25 am »

Yes it is technically possible to put them all into 1 cage but since they are prisoners they want to run away. So if you build a cage and want all prisoners assigned there then they will probably run off when taken out. There is a chance if you build the cages exactly next to eachother.
I think if they wear it with the civ clothes then they are more protected.

figured...thanks for the info =)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: December 12, 2010, 02:06:52 am »

Indeed.

You wouldn't want them wearing chainmail leggings without underwear, think of the chafing.  :o

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: December 12, 2010, 06:02:12 am »

I've been thinking of substituting or at least reinforcing my next fortress threshold with a floodgate. Will floodgates (when closed) prevent thieves from entering that entrance, or can they slip through those as well?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: December 12, 2010, 07:02:58 am »

i thought if you put instead of civ clothes you could give them two layers of armour?

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: December 12, 2010, 07:16:57 am »

Couple of little questions.

1) How does sight work with spotting goblins and z levels? I.E. if I string up a cat on a rope on top of a pillar, will he be able to spot goblins any better or worse (before he catches crossbow bolts anyway).

2) I've been experimenting with bridges that raise rather than retract. Do the 'wall' edges just destroy things on them? I had a one tile wide bridge, and instead of tossing goblins into a pit, my pit is spotless and I ended up with a lot fewer corpses than my units list is telling me. What do I need to do to set up a goblin flinger?
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5964 on: December 12, 2010, 10:26:05 am »

I've been thinking of substituting or at least reinforcing my next fortress threshold with a floodgate. Will floodgates (when closed) prevent thieves from entering that entrance, or can they slip through those as well?

Floodgates form thief-proof barriers when closed.  Problem is, they're dwarf-proof too, so you have to open and close them manually with levers.

1) How does sight work with spotting goblins and z levels? I.E. if I string up a cat on a rope on top of a pillar, will he be able to spot goblins any better or worse (before he catches crossbow bolts anyway).

Probably worse, chance to spot seems to be based on distance, so if he's up on a pillar he'll be further away from what you want him to spot.  Feel free to experiment and tell us how it works.

2) I've been experimenting with bridges that raise rather than retract. Do the 'wall' edges just destroy things on them? I had a one tile wide bridge, and instead of tossing goblins into a pit, my pit is spotless and I ended up with a lot fewer corpses than my units list is telling me. What do I need to do to set up a goblin flinger?

Raising bridges turn into one tile wide walls when they raise, and crush everything on the edge that turns into a wall when they do.  You are probably better off with a retracting bridge, unless you want the further distance a raising bridge throws for some reason.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: December 12, 2010, 10:40:07 am »

How do I assign quivers to my Marksdorfs?

I have several hunters that were assigned to a "archer" squad.
They go hunting normally, shooting everything in their path, but when I assign a kill order, some drop their quivers on the nearest stockpile and go fighting using the crossbows as melee weapons.
Curiously, one of them keeps his quiver as a military, but the others don't.
I'm sure the crossbows and the armor are assigned correctly.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: December 12, 2010, 10:43:06 am »

Get rid of the Hunting labor. The quiver they use for hunting is considered part of the "hunter" uniform, not the military one, so when they change uniforms, they toss it on the ground and say where's my milityary quiver? I don't seem to have one." Same issue that crops up with picks and axes.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: December 12, 2010, 10:47:30 am »

Creating a quiver stockpile near their barracks would make them dump their quivers and get another one right next to it and re-engage in battle?

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: December 12, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »

Adding civilian dorfs to my burrows (like a danger room) only makes them stop whatever they are doing, wherever they are (outside of the burrow) and stay there, with a "no job" glare, doing nothing... Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5969 on: December 12, 2010, 12:49:29 pm »

A burrow doesn't force a dwarf to stay inside the burrow.  It just makes it so he can't do anything outside the burrow.  If you assign a dwarf to a burrow and there's nothing for him to do inside the burrow, he'll just 'no job' where he is and not go to the burrow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1178