Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115188 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #6000 on: December 13, 2010, 03:03:13 pm »

Does cavern sea water refill if it touches a map border?
Yes, and it will also drain out.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: December 13, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »

Yes any liquid touching the edge of the map always comes in and goes out from the... ... container...
Got ninja'd :b

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: December 13, 2010, 03:55:15 pm »

on the video tutorials by Capt. Duck, the game announced when dwarves levelled up skills in the announcements. How can i get that to work?

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: December 13, 2010, 04:42:08 pm »

Question 1: Will a dragon's breath pass through/over a Fortification?

Question 2: Will a dragon's breath damage creatures or buildings on a z-level below or above the dragon?

Question 3: Will a Building Destroyer type 2 automatically damage buildings on a z-level below or above the creature?

Question 4: The wiki says about Grass:
As dwarves and other creatures walk over it, they have a chance (determined by the value of the [GRASSTRAMPLE] token) of eroding it down to the base soil, on which trees and plants cannot grow.
Does this mean that after grass has eroded down to base soil it is impossible to plant crops on it or for it to spontaneously grow a tree? If so, is there a way to fix it? (Such as building something on it and then deconstructing it?)

Question 5: Will Magma Mist injure at least some types of Titan or Forgotten Beast (assuming they are close enough to get exposed)?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: December 13, 2010, 04:51:40 pm »

1. Yes.

2. Only if the breath is aimed up or downwards.

3. They cannot attack buildings on a different z-level; this is why floor hatches are impenetrable from below.

4. The trampled ground will not grow trees or shrubs, but farms can still be built. I do not know if grass can reappear.

5. That is very likely.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: December 13, 2010, 06:38:26 pm »

on the video tutorials by Capt. Duck, the game announced when dwarves levelled up skills in the announcements. How can i get that to work?
That was in 40d and earlier. It doesn't do that anymore.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: December 13, 2010, 07:51:50 pm »

Question 4: The wiki says about Grass:
As dwarves and other creatures walk over it, they have a chance (determined by the value of the [GRASSTRAMPLE] token) of eroding it down to the base soil, on which trees and plants cannot grow.
Does this mean that after grass has eroded down to base soil it is impossible to plant crops on it or for it to spontaneously grow a tree? If so, is there a way to fix it? (Such as building something on it and then deconstructing it?)
?

Grass can reappear.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: December 13, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »

Can you grow crops on muddy ice?

Also, if you embark in a ocean or lake biome which freezes in winter, turn temp off, build a fortress in the lake, smooth the ice around your fort, and turn temp back on, will the smoothed ice melt? Or would I have to have made constructed walls for the iceberg fort to work when temp goes back on?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: December 14, 2010, 12:54:34 am »

Can you grow crops on muddy ice?

Also, if you embark in a ocean or lake biome which freezes in winter, turn temp off, build a fortress in the lake, smooth the ice around your fort, and turn temp back on, will the smoothed ice melt? Or would I have to have made constructed walls for the iceberg fort to work when temp goes back on?
I'm pretty sure that muddy ice will grow crops.
I'm also pretty sure that the natural ice walls will still melt, even if smoothed.

I could be wrong on both counts, though.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: December 14, 2010, 01:01:30 am »

So I guess I'd have to mine out the ice and then build with it. Gah.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: December 14, 2010, 02:16:25 am »

screenie please  :o

Here you go:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: December 14, 2010, 04:45:04 am »

For the beard-tingling fear of Armok WHY do my dorfling archers NOT attack the sniggering goblins not ten tiles away?

"Cannot follow orders?"  What?  A least some of them have quivers, and there is a stockpile BETWEEN THEM AND THE ENEMY.  I even pretended to understand the opaque military menu and gave them combat access to every bolt ever created in the entire past, present, and future of all possible universes!

Good grief, I remember when the military was "primitive" and "imprecise" enough to actually use...

Help!  I have, not one, but TWO hordes of darkness.  On top of each other.  I think they're breeding.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:50:55 am by Big Bee »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: December 14, 2010, 04:53:02 am »

For the beard-tingling fear of Armok WHY do my dorfling archers NOT attack the sniggering goblins not ten tiles away?

"Cannot follow orders?"  What?  A least some of them have quivers, and there is a stockpile BETWEEN THEM AND THE ENEMY.  I even pretended to understand the opaque military menu and gave them combat access to every bolt ever created in the entire past, present, and future of all possible universes!

Good grief, I remember when the military was "primitive" and "imprecise" enough to actually use...

Help!  I have, not one, but TWO hordes of darkness.  On TOP of each other.  I think they're breeding.

I am not sure why range is a problem, but I have received that same message regarding my hunters, even when there is plenty of ammunition just lying around. Following it, they usually go acquire more (eventually).

This is the part where I raise my drawbridge for three years.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: December 14, 2010, 04:57:52 am »

I am not sure why range is a problem, but I have received that same message regarding my hunters, even when there is plenty of ammunition just lying around. Following it, they usually go acquire more (eventually).

This is the part where I raise my drawbridge for three years.

Heheh, done.  The elvish traders have already gone mad...der.  I killed 'em.  So now the elves will attack me and get slaughtered by the goblins.

Oh well.  Silver linings.

The archers got tired and hungry and thirsty so I let 'em go.  Right now I'm just trying to build a Chaos Room 'o Death to keep my new playmates occupied, but it's taking forever.

"Urist McIdiot cancels solve problem: encountered problem"

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: December 14, 2010, 07:19:54 am »

Who was the bastard idiot  :-X who decided that civillian dwarfs should path to hostiles and attack at will, and more importantly, how do I stop them without sending in the military? We've encountered a HUGE tribe of amphibian men, who fortunately aren't pathing to us, and I am just trying to wall of a little, tiny bit of muddied soil... but my diagnoser has gone commando.

EDIT: Never mind, I see the problem. Strange though, that they want to gather Forbidden food...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:22:16 am by Ibid Straydrink »
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 1178