Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115177 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8610 on: February 13, 2011, 01:23:34 am »

yeah i forgot that non,rotting food was fixed a few versions ago. Thx for the heads up.
i may just make my whole fort segmented and magma cleanable anyway just for the hell of it, that way i can clean out FB goo without any hax D=
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: February 13, 2011, 01:33:38 am »

Wouldn't water be enough to clean extracts? Now I'm not knocking the idea of making a whole fort magma-cleanable, because it does sound interesting. It also sounds like such a pain in the ass that it's not funny anymore.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: February 13, 2011, 01:40:58 am »

Wouldn't water be enough to clean extracts? Now I'm not knocking the idea of making a whole fort magma-cleanable, because it does sound interesting. It also sounds like such a pain in the ass that it's not funny anymore.
NO!
it will instead spread around even more. either use a dwarf wash with an atomsmasher or DFcleanmap.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: February 13, 2011, 01:42:09 am »

Water will clean goo off dwarves, but then it sticks to walls/floors etc , which is where dfhack/magma comes in.... \o/ yay magma
oh and it also filthys up your water which you can filter with a fortification/grate. but teh crap sticks to your grate and you'll need magma or dfhack to clean it off...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:44:10 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: February 13, 2011, 01:47:07 am »

NO!
it will instead spread around even more. either use a dwarf wash with an atomsmasher or DFcleanmap.

I haven't tried cleaning rooms/corridors with water yet, which is why I didn't know. And I must say that sucks bad, man.

If one were able to restrict movement to contaminated tiles reliably, I guess they could clean all that blood and shit no problem. Or do they get the contaminants on them when they clean floors?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: February 13, 2011, 01:52:19 am »

NO!

I haven't tried cleaning rooms/corridors with water yet, which is why I didn't know. And I must say that sucks bad, man.

If one were able to restrict movement to contaminated tiles reliably, I guess they could clean all that blood and shit no problem. Or do they get the contaminants on them when they clean floors?
try building atomsmashers in the corridors, then lock them down and activate.

Putting floors over contaminants works.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: February 13, 2011, 01:57:35 am »

On this topic, how does one create a simple atomsmasher? I was under the impression it was just a bridge... but at my attempt to crush items beneanth a drawbridge, they were just scattered everywhere...

It was a  :-X mess.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: February 13, 2011, 02:11:14 am »

On this topic, how does one create a simple atomsmasher? I was under the impression it was just a bridge... but at my attempt to crush items beneanth a drawbridge, they were just scattered everywhere...

Here's how you make one.
Start making a bridge. Then choose which tile/side of the drawbridge you want to "anchor" or attach to the ground. For example, "a" is to the left and "d" is right and "w" us up and "x" is down ("s" turns it into a retracting bridge)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:52 am »

You used a retracting bridge. It has to be a raising one.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: February 13, 2011, 02:40:29 am »

Hi. I'm fairly new to the game, yet I've managed to create a fairly successful, yet largely unplanned, fortress (I play for FUN). Now I have a problem approaching my fortress in the form of a huge giant that will probably ravish my entire population. Well, no problem really, since my fortress is walled and the entrance is trapped. However, most of my dorves preferred to run around in the fields instead of going in for safety. How do I get them to retreat for safety?

Thanks.

EDIT: The bastard was suffiecently slowed down by a brave marksdwarf I didn't know existed, and then he realized that it would be better to start a new, calmer life in one of my glass cages. For the future, I'd like to know how to retreat my dorves, though.

MORE: Now that I have the giant captured, any ideas on what to do with him?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:48:12 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: February 13, 2011, 02:47:26 am »

Hi. I'm fairly new to the game, yet I've managed to create a fairly successful, yet largely unplanned, fortress (I play for FUN). Now I have a problem approaching my fortress in the form of a huge giant that will probably ravish my entire population. Well, no problem really, since my fortress is walled and the entrance is trapped. However, most of my dorves preferred to run around in the fields instead of going in for safety. How do I get them to retreat for safety?

Thanks.

EDIT: The bastard was suffiecently slowed down by a brave marksdwarf I didn't know existed, and then he realized that it would be better to start a new, calmer life in one of my glass cages. For the future, I'd like to know how to retreat my dorves, though.
Lol.
Press "w" for the burrows system. make a burrow that encompasses ALL of your fort and NONE of the outside.
Go the military screen (m) and go to alerts (a). set up a "safety!" alert that uses your safety burrow.
when you get attacked (or all the time if you want) just activate the alert for civilians (*CIV*)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: February 13, 2011, 02:49:34 am »

First make a burro[w] over your entire fortress.
Then go to [m]ilitary [a]lerts, and make a new alert.
Assign the burrow to the alert, and when you activate the alert, all civilian dwarves will go into the burrow.

And Ninja'd.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: February 13, 2011, 02:52:19 am »

First make a burro[w] over your entire fortress.
Then go to [m]ilitary [a]lerts, and make a new alert.
Assign the burrow to the alert, and when you activate the alert, all civilian dwarves will go into the burrow.

And Ninja'd.
you explained better ;)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: February 13, 2011, 03:01:15 am »

As to what to do with the giant:

Execution pit: Rancor pit style
Archery practice: pit it behind fortifications and set some marksdwarves to station nearby. With bone bolts, who knows, might be able to train up to legendary before it keels.
Throw it off a tall cliff and watch the parts fly?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: February 13, 2011, 03:03:47 am »

Woah, the markmanship things sounds like it's good for all the parties involved!

EDIT: I have NO clue on what happened, but my giant is loose again...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1178