Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120056 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2685 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:58 am »

Well then, "It Depends".

If what you want to power is directly under the power source, the V.Axle should be fine, if it's immediately under the power source the axle is probably surplus to requirements. Pump Stacks take this to an extreme

forex: Build short Pump Stack, install Windmill on top of pump, I'm pretty sure this will "just work". Of course if you need more power than one windmill can provide, you need gears. or a waterwheel (array) feeding to (any) one of the pumps. [NB: Windmills may require a V.Axle or Gear, I'm not sure, Waterwheels don't).

The Gear is required when/where you want to be able to toggle power transmission, or where you want to change it's direction.

Oh hell, I just realized I can build windmills on ground level. I feel really stupid right now.

I'll just build it so they use the same gear assembly. I don't need a pump stack, I already have that. I just need the water to get to the pump stack. Despite it being connected to the ocean, it refuses to fill the tunnel to my pump stack.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

jogar2

• Bay Watcher
  • It's just like a mini-mall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: August 18, 2010, 10:09:23 am »

Are windmills stackable? Does the windmill have its power in/output on the top as well?

They are not stackable because the center square has to be "outside". As soon as you put anything on top of it (like another windmill), it becomes "inside" and stops working. That's why folks make "windmill farms" as opposed to "windmill towers". I found this out the hard way. :-\
Right now I have big row of windmills, gears connected with axles 1 z-level down, and then one gear over top of the pump stack. Be sure to attach a lever to one of the gears so it's easy to turn the pumps on and off.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: August 18, 2010, 10:19:26 am »

If the aqueduct connecting the stack & the ocean isn't getting water, you might try:
a) Channeling out the Ocean tile at the aqueduct entrance.
or
b) Installing a pump drawing the ocean into the aqueduct.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2688 on: August 18, 2010, 11:07:06 am »

Are waterfalls any use for cleaning dwarves ? I'm getting sick of the inaccessable clean self spam, so I decided to build a shower unit to clean the dwarves. A very simple design, two pumps, one above the other. A single tile wide and high corridor that the dwarves must walk through, with a floor grate and a ceiling grate. I lined the floor with bronze to make it look nice also. All of the dwarves thought it was a lovely waterfall, But the self clean spam didn't stop ? Additionally they spread loads and loads of blood down the corridor. Do I have to throw the little buggers into the cavern lake and find out which ones float like a cork. I suspect that they would deliberatly sink out of protest.   

"Canceled clean self: area inaccessible" is a bug that happens when you have soap that isn't in a hospital.  You can fix this by building a lot of chests in the hospital, then forbidding all soap not in the hospital.  This will not solve the problem of your dwarves being covered in blood and goo and stuff, but will stop the message spam.

Blood is difficult to deal deal with at the moment.  When flowing water hits a blood-covered dwarf it will wash all the blood off, creating a pool of blood where the dwarf was standing.  Moving water will push pools of blood around on the same Z-level, but pools of blood will not fall through grates or be picked up by pumps, so if you have a wash room with water draining into a grate pools of blood will accumulate on the grate.  Dwarves who step in pools of blood get re-contaminated, and then leave a trail of more blood pools as they walk.  I have tried to design a washing chamber that cleans blood off dwarves and prevents them from becoming re-contaminated and tracking the blood out of the chamber as they leave it, but have so far not been successful.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Richard Nixon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: August 18, 2010, 01:43:53 pm »

Didn't see the 2010 bit, I guess this is the wrong thread.

Umm... DF2010 = DF 0.31.xx, 2010 was the nickname given before it had public version numbers.

What I mean is that this thread seems like its for 2010 questions not DF questions in general.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: August 18, 2010, 01:57:41 pm »

If you are playing any version in the 31.xx series, you ask questions here. The only reason that this is the "2010" thread is because a lot of people still play 40d, and there were enough fundamental changes and new bugs to make it critical to know which version you are running.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

Due to strange requirement for getting baron (the present caravan must leave before the meeting is held) i have a question - for what period of time a liaison will agree to wait? 2 months? I usually get my caravan coming at 15-16 of Timber and it leaves at 23-25 of Moonstone. 2 more days for them to reacht the edge of map. And about 5-6 days for mayor to initiate the meeting. We have 1.5 months. Will liaison wait for that period of time? Won't he leave unhappy earlier?

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: August 18, 2010, 07:16:48 pm »

How do i dump/move clothes that are owned by a dwarf but is just lying on the floor somewhere?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »

How do i dump/move clothes that are owned by a dwarf but is just lying on the floor somewhere?
You can't.

You can hide them with d-b-h.

You could also give the owner more cabinets, chests, etc. to store his stuff in.

Nick

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »

So my armorer mooded (yay!) and I now have an aluminum breastplate... How does aluminum compare to steel, or copper, or whatever?

Sifting through the forum, aluminum seems to be worse than gold... But it's an artifact. How do the modifiers for artifact armor work?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »

Are the "squares" supposed to be square or rectangular? Cause mine are rectangles and my friend's are square.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: August 19, 2010, 12:24:46 am »

Are the "squares" supposed to be square or rectangular? Cause mine are rectangles and my friend's are square.
It depends on what tileset you're using. Some are square, some rectangular.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: August 19, 2010, 12:57:33 am »

So my armorer mooded (yay!) and I now have an aluminum breastplate... How does aluminum compare to steel, or copper, or whatever?

Sifting through the forum, aluminum seems to be worse than gold... But it's an artifact. How do the modifiers for artifact armor work?

In 40d a non-weapon/armor metal artifact was as good as masterwork iron, afaik. How this works in 0.31, I would like to know as well.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:40 am »

It depends on what tileset you're using. Some are square, some rectangular.

But both represent a Cube 1x1x1, so using a square tileset probably makes it easier to eyeball distances.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:56 am »

It also depends on the window size. You stretch it out then the screen gets stretched out too.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 1178