Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120073 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2655 on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:46 pm »

Sounds like one of those rare things you might see. I havent seen/heard of it, but I think since dwarves are not tied to aboveground or belowground, unlike humans and elves, they can use the edge of the map for leaving, regardless of the zlevel it may be located on.

Question: Do dining halls actually have to have seats/thrones around the tables? I always presumed so, but it seems entirely possible we all just do it for asthetics and because thats what we humans do.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:57 pm »

A diplomat leaving unhappy should not trigger war.  War shouldn't happen unless you kill the diplomat.

If you keep killing their sieges, they should eventually send a diplomat to make a peace treaty.
It shouldn't, you're right, but it did. The only caravan that has died on this fort was a dwarven caravan; the rest have passed through entirely unmolested. I've also told the elves to go stuff their tree cutting limit for a couple years now, but that shouldn't affect the humans either.

Also, I'm not actually killing their sieges because their diplomat saw my traps and they won't path through the 200-tile long hallway of cage traps. Instead they're just chilling out at the edge of the map, which is far more infuriating than watching them all be absorbed by the traps. I don't dare send my military out to meet them due to my iron armor and the fact that half their force are archers. If their sieges just keep leaving due to boredom will they still send a diplomat for peace eventually?

Edit: I have had humans leading several many goblin ambushes, however. They were captured and mercilessly slaughtered in the arena. Could this have something to do with it?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:46:49 pm by Khift »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2657 on: August 17, 2010, 12:59:09 pm »

Also, I'm not actually killing their sieges because their diplomat saw my traps and they won't path through the 200-tile long hallway of cage traps.
Their hanging out on the edge of their map is not because their diplomat saw your traps.  It's just standard human siege behavior.  They'll hang around outside and blockade your fortress for a while.  Give them a year or so and they'll get bored and leave.

It is true that if they actually come inside they'll be immune to any traps the diplomat saw.  They won't actively avoid them, they'll actually walk right over them without setting them off.

Edit: I have had humans leading several many goblin ambushes, however. They were captured and mercilessly slaughtered in the arena. Could this have something to do with it?

Shouldn't be an issue, humans don't consider goblin-raised humans to belong to their civilization and don't care if you kill them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: August 17, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »

Question: Do dining halls actually have to have seats/thrones around the tables? I always presumed so, but it seems entirely possible we all just do it for asthetics and because thats what we humans do.

Not having chairs to go with your tables leads to the "lack of chairs" bad thought.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Drowning Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 17, 2010, 01:03:50 pm »

Is there any way I can see information about my dead dwarfs within fortress mode? I'm curious sometimes as to how many kills some of my soldiers got before they died.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: August 17, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »

Ok so a coper arrow punched through adamantine breastplate + adamantine chainmail so.... how do i weaken ranged weapons in the txt files?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 17, 2010, 03:41:02 pm »

Cloth Images. Which stockpile are these stored in ? I really can't find them, am I missing a point ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2662 on: August 17, 2010, 03:53:46 pm »

Cloth images aren't items.  Cloth images are decorations which are made to cloth and leather items.  You'll find the decorated items back in their stockpiles - finished goods for clothing, armor for leather armor, and furniture for leather and cloth bags.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: August 17, 2010, 04:47:08 pm »

Not having chairs to go with your tables leads to the "lack of chairs" bad thought.
Dwarves also will not use the tables without chairs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:00 pm »

Are waterfalls any use for cleaning dwarves ? I'm getting sick of the inaccessable clean self spam, so I decided to build a shower unit to clean the dwarves. A very simple design, two pumps, one above the other. A single tile wide and high corridor that the dwarves must walk through, with a floor grate and a ceiling grate. I lined the floor with bronze to make it look nice also. All of the dwarves thought it was a lovely waterfall, But the self clean spam didn't stop ? Additionally they spread loads and loads of blood down the corridor. Do I have to throw the little buggers into the cavern lake and find out which ones float like a cork. I suspect that they would deliberatly sink out of protest.     
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 17, 2010, 08:04:12 pm »

So my armorer mooded (yay!) and I now have an aluminum breastplate... How does aluminum compare to steel, or copper, or whatever?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2666 on: August 17, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

Can guard animals spot ambushers through glass walls? That could be quite useful...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 17, 2010, 11:09:55 pm »

So I had an armorer go into a mood while I was setting up my magma forges. The magma forges did not have any magma yet -- they were made, but not yet powered. He never claimed a workshop; he's just sitting in his room. I have every other workshop built (except the quern, I don't have a quern built). Thinking perhaps this had something to do with the magma forges, I disassembled them in the hopes of getting him to claim a regular forge, but he still sits in his room. Is he doomed? Is there anything at all I can do for him? Is he thinking "since I can't claim a magma forge I'll just sit here and die!"?

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:43 am »

Great, the humans send their diplomat and before he moves five squares a goblin siege appears right on top of him and kills him.

Is there any tool that can be used to edit saves to change war/peace flags? It was a bug that these humans declared in the first place and I'm tired of this crap continuing.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2669 on: August 18, 2010, 01:50:22 am »

So I've managed to catch several elephants and tame them, and I want to turn them into war elephants, but when I press q and hover over the cage it doesn't let me release the elephants. I've tried removing the stockpile from beneath them, that doesn't help. How do I release my elephants?
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1178