Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118043 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1425 on: June 28, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »

Creatures in caverns never simply "disappear", nor do they path into your fortress immediately.

Set up an obsidian trap as the only way from the caves into your fort, and just keep an eye on where the FB is.  When it comes in, encase it in stone.

Why the heck do people always say to use obsidian traps? Magma isn't a resource that can be easily acquired in all forts.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:14 pm »

Anybody know why that, although caravans show up, that don't have wagons? I'm not in an isolated spot. Just...weird.

Also

One last question; are dwarves always afraid of walking over bridges with hostile creatures beneath them, regardless of how many Z levels deep the creatures are? I recently caught a Giant in a cage trap, and I figured I could put him under the drawbridge and have him kill any goblins that fall into it. But that won't work if he scares any dwarves that walk above. In that case I would just figure out a way to get him to fight the aforementioned FB.

As long as it's in the dwarf's line of sight, they'll freak out -- even if its a lonely goat. :(

Damn, so I can't keep this guy under my drawbridge? Lame.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 29, 2010, 12:22:41 am »

Magma isn't a resource that can be easily acquired in all forts.
I always build a pumpstack and make a cistern of magma up near the ground levels, if there's no volcano accessible.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 29, 2010, 12:29:55 am »

Creatures in caverns never simply "disappear", nor do they path into your fortress immediately.

Set up an obsidian trap as the only way from the caves into your fort, and just keep an eye on where the FB is.  When it comes in, encase it in stone.

Why the heck do people always say to use obsidian traps? Magma isn't a resource that can be easily acquired in all forts.

Obsidian traps are dwarfier, but cave-in traps also work on inorganic FB (i.e. constructed floors, suspended by a single support from the roof).

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:21 am »

Magma isn't a resource that can be easily acquired in all forts.
I always build a pumpstack and make a cistern of magma up near the ground levels, if there's no volcano accessible.

Maybe I don't want to build a massive pumpstack to the magma sea?

I dunno, I just dislike how the solution to every problem sees to be magma. Or so people on the forums claim.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:42 am »

Note that in the next version .09 inorganic beasts will be killable. Provided there's no immediate threat to your fort, just ignore it and keep playing until the update, then release your military.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 29, 2010, 02:27:46 am »

It's not that magma is the only solution to everything, It's that magma can be used for anything, regardless of what its solution should be.

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:13 am »

Hey for some reason my farms can't see my seeds. It just says "no seeds available from this location" anyone have any idea why?
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 29, 2010, 03:42:56 am »

Are glass weapons actually effective? Would making serrated discs in glass do any good for my weapon traps or should I just stick to steel even though it's more of a hassle?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 29, 2010, 03:46:06 am »

Hey for some reason my farms can't see my seeds. It just says "no seeds available from this location" anyone have any idea why?
You might be trying to plant indoor plants in an outdoor farm. The seeds you embark with can only be planted indoors, and this means any square that has ever seen the light of the sun is no use for those seeds. You can, however, trade for seeds from the other civilizations that can grow outdoors.

Question:

How do I make this blinking "REC" go away from the top border of my game?

ac3y

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 29, 2010, 03:58:06 am »

Okay, I have a question.
I need to access magma. However, I can't get magma pools/pipes/sea to reveal itself.
I found warm stone, but the magma just won't show itself!

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 29, 2010, 04:13:14 am »

Okay, I have a question.
I need to access magma. However, I can't get magma pools/pipes/sea to reveal itself.
I found warm stone, but the magma just won't show itself!
Dig up a floor near the warm walls until you find a warm ceiling, then across until you can keep going up.  You wanna kind of dig an outline around the warm stone until you find a way in that won't fry everyone.

EDIT: Further cluttering up this thread

What happens if you kill the ruler of another civ? I've got the Goblin civ ruler sieging my fort. Maybe I should capture her in a cage trap and gloat?

Does a siege ever end? It seems like it should, cause these guys are just gonna get bored doing nothing. I need no contact with the outside world and so far all the siege has done is kill my framerate.

I have a male/female pair of jaguars I bought from the elves but they aren't breeding and it's been a couple years. What gives?

I wanted to make a really big greenhouse farm. It's about 6 levels below the surface and has a nice green glass ceiling. 10x10. I have enough water in its irrigation pond to cover all the squares but I can't actually build a farm plot that big because despite being wet, not all floors have mud. What did I do wrong?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!~~
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:18:09 am by Passive Fist »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 29, 2010, 06:07:37 am »

Does armor/clothing add any insulation?

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 29, 2010, 06:50:38 am »

You might be trying to plant indoor plants in an outdoor farm. The seeds you embark with can only be planted indoors, and this means any square that has ever seen the light of the sun is no use for those seeds. You can, however, trade for seeds from the other civilizations that can grow outdoors.

Yeah I'm trying to grow Plump Helmets and the loo[K] screen shows inside, dark, subterranean
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 29, 2010, 08:43:32 am »

Yeah I'm trying to grow Plump Helmets and the loo[K] screen shows inside, dark, subterranean
I think this can happen if the season and/or year would change before the plant sprouted. Otherwise I'm at a loss.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1178