Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118054 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1440 on: June 29, 2010, 09:01:35 am »

Hey for some reason my farms can't see my seeds. It just says "no seeds available from this location" anyone have any idea why?
You need to irrigate your farm. Make sure there is a tile of at least 1/7 water on every square, otherwise the entire thing won't be usable.
Are glass weapons actually effective? Would making serrated discs in glass do any good for my weapon traps or should I just stick to steel even though it's more of a hassle?
No, glass weapons are as effective as wood. They might kill a wild animal but they will bounce off goblin armor (perhaps even cloth).
Question:

How do I make this blinking "REC" go away from the top border of my game?
You've selected the recording option for making DF movies. To exit, press the ';' key, then press escape.
Okay, I have a question.
I need to access magma. However, I can't get magma pools/pipes/sea to reveal itself.
I found warm stone, but the magma just won't show itself!
Keep digging down stairs in various areas. There's no precise way to find it, but eventually you'll hit some. Warm walls indicate magma contact (either above, below or on the other side of the wall). Semi-molten rock is different, but still an indicator you're in the right area.
What happens if you kill the ruler of another civ? I've got the Goblin civ ruler sieging my fort. Maybe I should capture her in a cage trap and gloat?

Does a siege ever end? It seems like it should, cause these guys are just gonna get bored doing nothing. I need no contact with the outside world and so far all the siege has done is kill my framerate.

I have a male/female pair of jaguars I bought from the elves but they aren't breeding and it's been a couple years. What gives?

I wanted to make a really big greenhouse farm. It's about 6 levels below the surface and has a nice green glass ceiling. 10x10. I have enough water in its irrigation pond to cover all the squares but I can't actually build a farm plot that big because despite being wet, not all floors have mud. What did I do wrong?
Killing the civ leader will remove them from the civ list, nothing more.
The siege should end, but may take several seasons.
Make sure your jaguars aren't caged, as caged creatures don't breed.
Your farm plot might be having troubles from not recognizing fluid flow. Try irrigating it again. Make sure you cover all tiles with at least 1/7 water. Wait for it all to evaporate. Also, smoothing tiles after they're muddied removes mud.
Does armor/clothing add any insulation?
Yes. It protects against attacks and relative extremes of heat or cold.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 29, 2010, 09:06:35 am »

I found out that clothes a dwarf is wearing can catch on fire. You can only insulate so far!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 29, 2010, 09:14:29 am »

Interestingly, dousing them with water before handling the hot item provides extra protection. Useful when fighting creatures who hurl fireballs, eg. fire imps.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 29, 2010, 09:18:21 am »

Thanks for the response by the way :D

Do dwarfs need new clothes to replace their old xTatteredx stuff?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 29, 2010, 09:25:21 am »

If you feel like it. There's no great disadvantage to naked dwarves besides the lack of protection from clothing against attacks. There used to be a mechanic that caused them to have an unhappy thought if their clothes rotted off, but since every item they were wearing would rot at the same time it caused such a huge hit that it would cause a tantrum spiral unless they were ecstatic. Toady removed the thought penalty due to this and since clothing generally creates a lot of clutter most folks don't worry too much about providing replacements. Fortunately in the new version goblins will bring you new clothing that your dwarves can wear, so they'll claim it automatically if you unforbid the goblin leftovers.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 29, 2010, 09:32:21 am »

Oh that's good to know. I prefer my dwarfs to be fancy if possible so maybe I should forgo dropping everything into a fire.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 29, 2010, 09:33:50 am »

Using an atom-smasher is a better way to get rid of garbage than fire. Safer, less chance of !!dwarves!!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 29, 2010, 09:56:33 am »

EMBARASSING question:
How do I dig a single hole in the floor for a pit?
I have been playing for 2 years and have never done it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 29, 2010, 10:00:16 am »

Designate a channel. However, now that channels are ramps there's trouble with that. Recently it involves digging out two squares, then constructing a floor over the access channel.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 29, 2010, 10:09:16 am »

Designate a channel. However, now that channels are ramps there's trouble with that. Recently it involves digging out two squares, then constructing a floor over the access channel.

Thanks for the answer but I am still not clear. So I need to dig a channel 2 spaces long and then build a floor over the first tile?0

SECOND QUESTION:

I somehow ended up with an adamantium long sword despite no battles yet. i can't seem to get any of my military to equip it since it is a long sword but not foreign which is the only menu option even close. Any ideas? Also any idea where it came from?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:19:03 am by hemmingjay »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 29, 2010, 10:17:40 am »

Step 1: Dig this.

Top:
++++
+>▼+
++++

Bottom:
####
#<▲#
####

Step 2: Remove ramp from bottom level, then construct floor over stairs on the top level.

Final Product

Top:
++++
++.+
++++

Bottom:
####
#<+#
####

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 29, 2010, 10:20:23 am »

Thanks that was very clear.
SECOND QUESTION:

I somehow ended up with an adamantium long sword despite no battles yet. i can't seem to get any of my military to equip it since it is a long sword but not foreign which is the only menu option even close. Any ideas? Also any idea where it came from?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1452 on: June 29, 2010, 10:23:36 am »

It is naturally occurring, located deep underground, in a Fun feature of the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: June 29, 2010, 10:34:16 am »

I know where the metal came from but not the sword. Also how can I get them to equip it?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 29, 2010, 10:35:51 am »

You have to dig down and find the sword. Your dwarves didn't make it. It's a map feature. Currently it's a bug that it shows up in your list.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 1178