Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117728 times)

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1395 on: June 27, 2010, 03:08:47 pm »

Regarding underground caverns. Just to avoid spoiling anything.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If someone is getting webbed, that means a Giant Cave Spider is attacking them. They're less vicious than they were last version, but still something that can pick off unarmed or solitary dorfs.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 27, 2010, 05:24:23 pm »

Haven't seen any giant spiders yet, or any giant spider webs. Only the normal cave spiders. And I haven't had a noticable drop in population yet.

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 27, 2010, 05:29:15 pm »

In adventure mode, you can get "webbed" by just walking on a web (I think).  So, I think it just means they stumbled into the web and would be sitting ducks, if the cave spider got around to finding them.

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 27, 2010, 06:12:57 pm »

My dwarves have (at a considerable cost of limbs) brought down a Zombie Giant Eagle shortly after embark.

Now I've got a Zombie Giant Eagle skeleton sitting in a refuse pile underground. Will it ever turn into a stack of Zombie Giant Eagle bones that I can use to make stuff with? I'd love to have the survivors of that encounter get some souvenirs to wear from it.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 27, 2010, 06:31:50 pm »

Just a quick question: I noticed some of my dwarves are holding their swords, etc, in the same hand as their shields. Will this effect their skill gain during training?

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: June 28, 2010, 12:47:31 am »

Just curious, what happens if I mine all around an area of the "floor" covering a brook?
Like this:

(view from above)

Code: [Select]
~~~~~~~~~
~~XXXXX~~
~~X~~~X~~
~~XXXXX~~
~~~~~~~~~

~ = water
X = channeled

Does the "island" in the middle fall into the water and float away?
Does it "cave-in" like a normal floor would?
Or does it just keep sitting there?

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 28, 2010, 12:50:45 am »

Lemme try it and see...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 28, 2010, 04:48:46 am »

Causes a cave-in, just like a regular floor over water.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 28, 2010, 05:19:38 am »

My dwarves have (at a considerable cost of limbs) brought down a Zombie Giant Eagle shortly after embark.

Now I've got a Zombie Giant Eagle skeleton sitting in a refuse pile underground. Will it ever turn into a stack of Zombie Giant Eagle bones that I can use to make stuff with? I'd love to have the survivors of that encounter get some souvenirs to wear from it.

Theoretically it should, but I've seen it only work properly for goblins that didn't die in combat (i.e. were thrown off a tower and died from falling damage). It does take a long time (my personal experience has been from a year to two years) before the partial skeleton decays into bone.

It's also possible for a butcher to take the skeleton to a butcher shop and break it down into its component bones, but I've only seen this happening for normally butcherable animals (crundles and the like). Normal giant eagles are butcherable, hopefully getting zombified will still retain that tag.

Threlicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 28, 2010, 10:52:40 am »

It's also possible for a butcher to take the skeleton to a butcher shop and break it down into its component bones, but I've only seen this happening for normally butcherable animals (crundles and the like). Normal giant eagles are butcherable, hopefully getting zombified will still retain that tag.

Yes, the corpse/skeleton needs butchering to get converted into useful bone. This happens all the time to my zombie/skeleton groundhogs and macaques.

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 28, 2010, 03:09:00 pm »

Healthcare issue again.

A woodcutter took a hit to the head by a goblin ambush. Axedwarfs got there, Blood for the Blood God. The woodcutter is currently at the hospital. The chief medical dwarf diagnosed the guy and prescribed suturing and dressing of the head. Then he washed the patient. Then the chief medical dwarf stopped doing anything, despite the "health profile" of the patient showing "needs dressing" and "needs suturing" under the head. Chief medical dwarf did nothing, despite me disabling all other labours and keeping on all healthcare labours. Simply states no job on the unit list.

Then, a bit later, the profile only says "needs dressing" under the head, need for suturing is apparently gone, but there's no note in the medical history about any suturing having been done to him. And the chief medical dwarf is still doing nothing.

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 28, 2010, 03:11:13 pm »

He or someone else needs those labors enabled.  The CMD doesn't automatically do everything, just diagnose.  (And usually cleans, because everyone cleans.)

Use Dwarf Therapist if you aren't already.

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: June 28, 2010, 03:25:03 pm »

He already has those labours enabled. Can he do nothing else than diagnose when in the position of chief medical dwarf?

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: June 28, 2010, 03:52:01 pm »

I've got a red C and a green H on the left hand side of the DF window, inside border that goes around the screen. What does it mean?

Also, in my unit list, there is a planter whose name keeps flashing. What does it mean?

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 28, 2010, 04:31:14 pm »

The flashing means that he's a legendary dwarf, i.e. at least one of his skills is at a legendary level. Effect is that once the Dwarven Economy starts, he pays no rent and gets stuff for free.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 1178