Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117998 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1410 on: June 28, 2010, 06:00:16 pm »

Can I prevent the stream from freezing in winter? I embarked at the headwaters of this one and I can see the 'river source' tiles (they're actually called that). I tried insulating it with some stone walls built on top of it, but it froze anyway.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: June 28, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »

Will dual wielding work correctly in combat? I know theres a military equipment bug and sometimes they'll grab 4 or 5 items in the 'same hand' but I have a militia commander with a steel battle axe in his right hand and an iron short sword in the left (for whatever reason) and thats it.  Since there's no multiple item overlap, can I expect he'll become a legendary whirlwind of death?

Regardless I've given him 6 war animals and am thinking of a bitchin nickname

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: June 28, 2010, 06:50:34 pm »

Will dual wielding work correctly in combat? I know theres a military equipment bug and sometimes they'll grab 4 or 5 items in the 'same hand' but I have a militia commander with a steel battle axe in his right hand and an iron short sword in the left (for whatever reason) and thats it.  Since there's no multiple item overlap, can I expect he'll become a legendary whirlwind of death?

Regardless I've given him 6 war animals and am thinking of a bitchin nickname
I've had people multiwield shields before, but I don't think double weapons work.
Nom nom nom

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: June 28, 2010, 07:06:29 pm »

Is it possible to 'view' a statue after its been placed, like to see what its a statue of? I know you can see them when you are choosing them, but after its already put in place and furniture can you look at it again?

Thanks,

-MB

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 28, 2010, 07:11:28 pm »

Is it possible to 'view' a statue after its been placed, like to see what its a statue of? I know you can see them when you are choosing them, but after its already put in place and furniture can you look at it again?

Thanks,

-MB
Sure, just hit (t, enter) over the statue.

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: June 28, 2010, 07:39:08 pm »

He already has those labours enabled. Can he do nothing else than diagnose when in the position of chief medical dwarf?

That I don't know, but you might try enabling it for someone else.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: June 28, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »

How do I get my stupid dwarves to stay inside when I'm being invaded? Ive been searching everywhere but all I can find is that in 40D there was a "dwarves stay inside" order, but I cant find it anywhere in 31.08. Please help I'm very frustrated.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 28, 2010, 08:00:04 pm »

I've got a red C and a green H on the left hand side of the DF window, inside border that goes around the screen. What does it mean?

The C means that combat has happened
The H means that hunting has happened

Hit "r" to see the reports

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 28, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »

Thanks,

-MB

Awesome! Thank you.

How do I get my stupid dwarves to stay inside when I'm being invaded? Ive been searching everywhere but all I can find is that in 40D there was a "dwarves stay inside" order, but I cant find it anywhere in 31.08. Please help I'm very frustrated.

You do it via burrows now, you can make a burrow (w key) then under the military screen you can create custom orders to make your dwarves retreat.  Its more complex but a perk is you can choose exactly where they will retreat to.  The wiki has far more info including step by step instructions if I'm not mistaken.

-MB

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:04 pm »

Thanks,

-MB

Awesome! Thank you.

You do it via burrows now, you can make a burrow (w key) then under the military screen you can create custom orders to make your dwarves retreat.  Its more complex but a perk is you can choose exactly where they will retreat to.  The wiki has far more info including step by step instructions if I'm not mistaken.

-MB
Another upside to the new complexity is that you can designate a burrow (is that a play on borough?) outside, so if something serious goes down inside the fort you can quickly evacuate everyone.

EDIT: Smooth floors used to speed up dwarfs, back in 2D. Is that still the case?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 28, 2010, 08:51:20 pm »

Do FB ever leave the map after arriving? There's a giant crocodile prowling in the caverns below. He can't get to my fort, so he keeps hiding in the darkness, occasionally returning. Will he ever leave, or am I stuck with him? Also, do FB immediately path to your fortress the second there is an available route.

One last question; are dwarves always afraid of walking over bridges with hostile creatures beneath them, regardless of how many Z levels deep the creatures are? I recently caught a Giant in a cage trap, and I figured I could put him under the drawbridge and have him kill any goblins that fall into it. But that won't work if he scares any dwarves that walk above. In that case I would just figure out a way to get him to fight the aforementioned FB.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: June 28, 2010, 09:40:10 pm »

Problem with my prison. I have very nice prison cells, complete with food, booze, bed, table and chair. 3x3 cells with a chain in the middle. I've had two dwarfs now die of thirst, even though they've got booze right there in the room, and on top of that I have some wells here and there and plenty of buckets for people to haul water to my prisoners. What's going on here?

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: June 28, 2010, 11:14:14 pm »

Anybody know why that, although caravans show up, that don't have wagons? I'm not in an isolated spot. Just...weird.

Also

One last question; are dwarves always afraid of walking over bridges with hostile creatures beneath them, regardless of how many Z levels deep the creatures are? I recently caught a Giant in a cage trap, and I figured I could put him under the drawbridge and have him kill any goblins that fall into it. But that won't work if he scares any dwarves that walk above. In that case I would just figure out a way to get him to fight the aforementioned FB.

As long as it's in the dwarf's line of sight, they'll freak out -- even if its a lonely goat. :(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:16:07 pm by Poot »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: June 28, 2010, 11:20:45 pm »

Do FB ever leave the map after arriving?
They never leave. You can trap the ones that spawn on the surface I think, but not the underground ones.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: June 28, 2010, 11:31:03 pm »

Creatures in caverns never simply "disappear", nor do they path into your fortress immediately.

Set up an obsidian trap as the only way from the caves into your fort, and just keep an eye on where the FB is.  When it comes in, encase it in stone.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 1178