Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118057 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1455 on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:30 am »

Thanks again jimmy!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 29, 2010, 12:33:32 pm »

Can I prevent the stream from freezing in winter? I embarked at the headwaters of this one and I can see the 'river source' tiles (they're actually called that). I tried insulating it with some stone walls built on top of it, but it froze anyway.

You could try channelling the water into a cistern underground. That might prevent your personal supply of water from freezing.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 29, 2010, 01:22:09 pm »

I am thoroughly confused by trading. Since I don't have a broker experienced enough to see the values of things I'm left frustrated by what is worth more than what. Mostly it all boils down to... what the hell does 'I wont trade at a loss' mean? I haven't actually played the game long enough to figure this out, and wiki just tells me the bare bones.

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 29, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »

I am thoroughly confused by trading. Since I don't have a broker experienced enough to see the values of things I'm left frustrated by what is worth more than what. Mostly it all boils down to... what the hell does 'I wont trade at a loss' mean? I haven't actually played the game long enough to figure this out, and wiki just tells me the bare bones.
I wont trade at a loss means you're offering them something of substantially lower value than what you request from them. I'm not sure how easy it is to train up the Appraiser skill but I recommend giving one of your dwarves Appraiser when you start off. You could wait until you get a migrant with appraiser and appoint him as a broker.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 29, 2010, 01:44:35 pm »

Geeze, then those statues must be worth waaayy less than that rope I wanted....

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 29, 2010, 01:48:54 pm »

Quote from: Dora Feddy on Today at 01:22:09 pm

I wont trade at a loss means you're offering them something of substantially lower value than what you request from them. I'm not sure how easy it is to train up the Appraiser skill but I recommend giving one of your dwarves Appraiser when you start off. You could wait until you get a migrant with appraiser and appoint him as a broker.

Ok....

This means that you need to gain appraiser skill. I recommend starting out with at least some, but if you don't then you must train it. "How do I train it," you might ask. You start by making a few ridiculously bad trades for you in small amounts to gain skill. Sooner or later, you'll get a broker who actually knows what they are doing. If this seems harsh, then its simply a reason to start out with some broker skill in appraisal.

No quality rings made from your average stone are worth about $10 each. Quality rings are worth more. Trade a whole bunch of those crappy rings for something you don't really need, like a low quality barrel. Do this a few times until your broker actually gets some skill in appraisal. :)

Geeze, then those statues must be worth waaayy less than that rope I wanted....

Yes, yes they are. Your starting rope goes for about $60 minimum. Note that embark prices are at a steep discount for you.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: June 29, 2010, 01:49:48 pm »

Does killing immigrants by starvation lessen the chance of more coming? I hope this is a yes.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: June 29, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »

Ive noticed for alot of my military dwarves - sometimes when they're stationed, sometimes when doing combat drills, doesn't seem to matter - that the doing "individual combat drill" or "station" job in their general profile when (v)iewing them will sometimes turn a sort of dark green instead of the usual yellow.

Is this significant?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:54:23 pm by shoowop »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: June 29, 2010, 02:04:22 pm »

No quality rings made from your average stone are worth about $10 each. Quality rings are worth more.
Oh, they definitely are.  Once you have a decent crafter dwarf, you'll see a big increase in the price of your produced stuff.  I've currently got two rings made of talc and platinum, both are studded with adamantine and worth several hundred thousand each.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 29, 2010, 02:12:33 pm »

Thanks for the help on my trading problems! Although... I think I accidentaly removed the depot right before they left and now I have all this stuff... I suppose my trade relations will to down the hole now...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 29, 2010, 02:16:22 pm »

Thanks for the help on my trading problems! Although... I think I accidentaly removed the depot right before they left and now I have all this stuff... I suppose my trade relations will to down the hole now...

If you steal all their stuff once, it usually isn't a big deal, so long as relations weren't rocky from some dispute that happened in the worldgen history.

By the way, if I recall right, the way to train appraisal is to bring a LOOOOT of high-value stuff to the depot before you ask for the broker and start trading. Cooked meals, bins of weapons, and bins of finished goods are a good way to go. (as in, put all of them you can spare in the depot) Failing this, obsidian mechanisms fetch a decent price.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 29, 2010, 03:16:33 pm »

Just checking, we don't have any word on when/if crossbows will be useful for more than hunting, do we?  I'm getting ready to start some forging, and I'm not sure if I should invest in crossbows when my understanding is that dwarves are more likely to bludgeon their enemies with said crossbows than actually, you know, shoot them.

ac3y

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 29, 2010, 04:02:48 pm »

Okay, I have a question.
I need to access magma. However, I can't get magma pools/pipes/sea to reveal itself.
I found warm stone, but the magma just won't show itself!
Keep digging down stairs in various areas. There's no precise way to find it, but eventually you'll hit some. Warm walls indicate magma contact (either above, below or on the other side of the wall). Semi-molten rock is different, but still an indicator you're in the right area.[/quote]

Okay, I found the magma. Now I have a different problem: it's surrounded by a cocoon of warm rock that I can't dig through. Is there a way I can punch a hole so I can get at the magma and make some forges? :<
Also, I see adamantine. woo!

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: June 29, 2010, 04:12:03 pm »

Ok, I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for about three weeks now, and all of a sudden, all of the civilizations seem to have been taken over by Trolls, Ogres and Dragons, no Humans or Elves. I haven't messed with the raws concerning civ's or any of these creatures. Which is bad because I rely on the Humans and bloody Elves for my wood supply...

And I really don't think a dragon siege sounds like too much fun. Anybody know what's going on?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:34:57 pm by AnalysisFailed »

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 29, 2010, 04:25:15 pm »

Well, I guess, it does sound fun in the dwarf fortress sense, but I also found out that beer seems to be non-existent in these worlds, so I'm just going to re-extract them from the zips
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 1178