Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105368 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12705 on: July 16, 2016, 02:24:49 pm »

Hmmm, hadn't tried to do that deliberately actually.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: July 16, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »

Nah, there are a dozen or so other hillocks and a fortress that I'd need to deal with as well.

Although I've never successfully slaughtered an entire civilization before. That's incredibly tempting.

Yeah, it occurred to me this run once I noticed the every major noble was in this one fort. Ah game of scones.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

There's always a little tidying up when you get back home. There wasn't a useful method of cleaning the water smears, so Kamuk removed and reinstalled the flooring the night of his return to Forestabbey. Dwarven Mr. Clean makes everything new again.

The next morning was cloud canopy and rain.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There was only a vision range of 19 tiles as a result. Not much reason to go hunting, plus the barrels were full of meat.

Kamuk stayed in and crafted a few bows and crossbows. He was trying to make a masterwork oaken bow, failing on ≡all attempts≡. He tried to do the same with apple wood for crossbows. Odd luck would have it, that he'd craft a masterwork ☼alligator snapping turtle bone crossbow☼.  He had made the masterwork ☼oaken crossbow☼ he used during his night troll adventures as a random one-off while waiting for the sun to set during a short stay in the mountains. It'd have felt more deserving if he had been at least a lvl 11-12 great/master bowyer, rather than a proficient one. I suppose to commemorate this, Kamuk will never make a crossbow from oak or alligator snapping turtle bone again. It's such frivolous stuff, so it doesn't matter so much. If you hit with your shot, so be it. If not, not.

Ah, but it's the essentials: shields are life. There's no boiling metal message from the wooden barricade strapped to a dwarf's arm!  Kamuk worked through 20 apple wood logs and 19 shields of varying quality before crafting the 20th, a masterwork ☼apple wood shield☼.
The less said about Kamuk's subpar crafting skill for shields the better. Would  an exploit have been preferable to the quality lottery? Randomness and untimeliness is I guess part of crafting. Of course, the shield is where I'd argue, masterwork counts the most.

Now if only boots counted towards dodger skill…or cloaks! Those fray...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:25:59 pm by peasant cretin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: July 16, 2016, 06:54:00 pm »

So I decided to attack and slaughter everyone in this hamlet as well. Starting with the queen, since she was adjacent to me after walking through the door:

Quote from: The queen's last words, literally right as I was swinging my axe
The queen Ustuth Bƒsengusil (to dwarven child): There's nothing like a good brawl.
The queen Ustuth Bƒsengusil loses hold of the xcave spider silk hoodx.
The queen Ustuth Bƒsengusil loses hold of the xcave spider silk capx.
You hack the queen Ustuth Bƒsengusil in the head with your steel battle axe and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The queen Ustuth Bƒsengusil has been knocked unconscious!
The mason Ustuth Bƒsengusil has been struck down.

I went after the handful of children by the door next, such as the one she was talking to. The adults including the mayor came to the "rescue" as soon as they could, but it hasn't done much for them yet.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: July 16, 2016, 08:43:12 pm »

The river is frozen in the morning. The cloud cover flickers, reduce vision range to  10 tiles, then bringing it back to the full 25. Kamuk readies to cross the mountain range. On the other side are a few human settlements.  Of course, a trip towards the mountain range wouldn't be complete without the smell of bug innards in the air. There's cloud canopy everywhere but here. Kamuk hopes it'll hold so he can get in some marksdwarf work. He drops out of fast travel about one world map tile away from this asterisk, and then does the same with the second asterisk.

The journey over the mountains involves the hunting of a yak bull. This yak bull's skin is crafted into a masterwork ☼yak leather armor☼.
The 30 yak meat and the organs are kept. The horns (2) are saved for a future composite bow or crossbow. The remainder Kamuk decides to burn. He'll still need to hunt down another yak as the bowyering reactions require 2 sets of horns, since there'd be one horn on each side of a bow stave or a crossbow prod. Why the game sees horns (2) as one unit is odd.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:44:18 am by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: July 17, 2016, 07:22:46 pm »

Well, my allies and I slew a bronze colossus. Only the swordmaster was ballsy enough to follow, the maceman just kinda sat around doing nothing.

Took a lot to kill the thing, until I pulled out a stack of iron bolts and shanked it in the face repeatedly. The whole time it was a struggle to toss the brute around and otherwise distract it from my companion, who was swiftly crippled but just wouldn't give up. He's lucky that dumbass was wielding a shoe. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: July 17, 2016, 09:34:32 pm »

Click thumbnail(s) to expand.

Kamuk, having reached  human held territory, searches through 7 meadhalls and collects a small cache of weapons. He picks up a +copper great axe+ weighing in at 11r and a +silver great axe+ at 13r for the inorganic, web-shooting titans that may lie ahead—>weight plus huge 60k contact area plus high 8k penetration depth equals big cleaving shot, and perhaps just one shot at that 1.250x velocity per swing. Past Adv mode runs say inorganic mineral titans get eaten by those numbers (1-3 swings) when used by a legendary axedwarf.

For armored units, Kamuk collects the 10 contact area *copper morningstar*at 4r and the 20 contact area ≡silver mace≡ at a hefty 8r for that all important lower limb armor penetration/smash. For fun,  he also picks up the 100 contact area *silver maul* at 13r.

The above asterisks are static, but there's no odor of death or bug innards. In both cases Kamuk drops out of fast travel one world map tile away, enters slow travel sneaking and lies on the ground to reduce his profile. The first asterisk is a generic troll recruit and the second asterisk is a naked  vampire master bowdwarf (a renamed Elite Bowdarf). Kamuk gets in a little marksdwarf work with his newly crafted masterwork yak bone crossbow.

The vampire master bowdwarf was also a good chance to compare the *copper morningstar*'s 4r weight (500size), 10 contact area vs. the ≡silver mace≡'s  hefty 8r (800size), 20 contact area. Because of torsion damage, the mace simply did more damage. More subjects are needed, of course. Kamuk wishes he had brought the 100 contact area *silver maul* at 13r to this fight.

For the bandit camp as well,  Kamuk drops out of fast travel one world map tile away, enters slow travel sneaking and lies on the ground to reduce his profile. He doesn't know if the camp will contain any weapon masters and at this point, would prefer to avoid them. For me, I mark the end of the early game once my character has reached Talented (lvl6) Shield User and Talented (lvl6) Wrestler. Currently Kamuk's at Expert (lvl8) Shield User and  Expert (lvl8) Wrestler, so he's a bit off from defending shots from the lvl 11 weapon master. That's just because while active manual defense is fine from a stat deficit since your rolls will be buffed (DFTalk 21), I think passive auto-defense is only reliably consistent (in terms of rolls)when working from at least one stat level higher than the opponent's attack stat.

Kamuk locates the leader. He uses mostly siltstone bolts, but at the end switches to iron. He hasn't had the chance to use metal ammo this whole run until this point partly due to being in an area with zero human settlement.

He leaves the other bandits alone, mostly. There is a little coin tossing at one wrestler. Just bruising damage.

In the closest hamlet, apparently there are cronies of Oli Feedskinny.

This entire run, Kamuk hasn't spoken a word about anything he's done, yet somehow they knew. Later at the hamlet's meadhall, it appears news travels fast.
You: Greetings.  My name is Kamuk Sootgrips the Muddy Boots.
The lady Gathre Anlaroqui: Hello, dwarf.  I am Gathre Esteemedstick.  Praise be to Stumeb.  Thank you for all you do.  Don't travel alone at night, or the bogeyman will get you.
You: What do you think of me?
The lady Gathre Anlaroqui: You are a protector of the defenseless.  You challenged Mukca Campring.  You are also a killer.  You ended the days of Oli Feedskinny.

Not only did she know about Oli, the coin tossing incident involving Mukca Campring also got out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:46:54 pm by peasant cretin »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: July 18, 2016, 05:07:56 am »

well time to see if it's possible to build a wall with an item inside.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Whips

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcCripplingDepression
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: July 18, 2016, 11:58:28 am »

I started my endless quest for salvation after both my ears got infected after wrestling with a goblin, i was just a peasant with social skills only. After a lot of walk and lost limbs, i managed to get cursed by messing around on temples, getting cured in the process.
Now to my next big step: legendary in all weapons and mass destruction of elf kind

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12713 on: July 18, 2016, 01:34:26 pm »

there something peaceful about building a road in the air through trees.
also needing to use 3 camps to make.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: July 18, 2016, 01:47:36 pm »

You're loving that floating ice floor trick huh. :D

Have you had big population explosions while building camps that occur specifically after naming the site?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: July 18, 2016, 06:17:58 pm »

You mean like wild animals? I've had that happen too. Its neat when wild animal men end up becoming permanent residents you can chat with whenever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McColeTheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: July 19, 2016, 12:00:50 am »

Well my adventurer just tackled a necromancer's tower for the first time with two barely equipped warriors.

I didn't expect an army of the undead but that's what I got, and eventually my two guys were outnumbered and killed. I cut off as many heads as I could manage before they tore up my leg and my lungs, giving me a mortal wound.

I spent my last living moments dragging myself away from an ever-encroaching army of undead elves and humans before I eventually suffocated and died. I didn't even get a chance to breach the tower.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: July 19, 2016, 02:15:01 am »

You're loving that floating ice floor trick huh. :D

Have you had big population explosions while building camps that occur specifically after naming the site?
mostly used ice logs for floors. the ice floor trick couldn't be done in the area I'm at due to the warm climate.
also being in the middle of 2 huge rivers that suppose to part leaving a 1 x1 tile island but was just a huge river that snakes a bit.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:27 am »

Heh, I enjoy the cyan ice log floors and walls too.
You mean like wild animals? I've had that happen too. Its neat when wild animal men end up becoming permanent residents you can chat with whenever.
Yeah, it's less neat when there are so many of them df starts doubling RAM use every time you finish building.

Oh snap, if you tell bandits to drop their weapons, people say "it's for the best" instead of calling you a brigand. Why did I not know about this?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:28:42 am by Max™ »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: July 19, 2016, 03:26:04 pm »

I CAN'T KILL THIS BRONZE COLOSSUS. IT REFUSES TO BE SLAIN.

Three times I've fought with it, him never able to hit me or pierce my 3 shields, and I never able to actually do any damage. Jumping Spider bro must be victorious!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1104