Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105292 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12735 on: July 22, 2016, 08:13:46 am »

Coming into the last 9 separate goblin bandit encounters, after recently smiting goblin priestess/pikemaster Song Modesthorror (such a name!), Kamuk had a level 11 (great) shield user skill, but only a level 7 (adept) dodger skill. That's consistent with having his combat preferences set to stand ground/stand ground for the whole run. You can end up with a 3-5 level gulf.

I figured Kamuk would try to close the 4 level gap between shield user and dodger. Dodger skill also works two attributes Kamuk has only had at high: toughness and will power. He wanted to get (at least) toughness to superior by doing more dodging.

Kamuk has played a narratively sound run so far, but this is where it goes off track. The whole point of range combat is to maintain distance, unless you're Legolas. The most economical way to stat grow dodger skill was to shoot all nine goblins, including the 2nd unarmored pikemaster, Dostngosp Luridvile, from an adjacent tile, and reap the benefits of defending multiple attacks from a single opponent. The other choice was to use multi-attack combo (quick attack + dodge away) for who knows how many fights. Essentially, each would be a deviation from narrative.

Kamuk was armed with his iron crossbow and tower-cap shield. He began each encounter by grabbing the goblin in question so he/she couldn't dodge away.This set up only really works if your character is large as this magnifies the strength stat, minimizes the likelihood that your character's prehensile grip can be broken, and almost guarantees your character won't ever get knocked down.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The level 11  shield user skill and level 7  dodger skill modified by your character's level 15 (base legendary) fighter skill pretty much means the standard bandit and an unarmored no shield weapon master can't land any attack. At level 11  marksdwarf skill, your character is under attack  up to 10 times per shot. If your character has grabbed the enemy and is set to stand ground/stand ground (no defensive tile movement), you'll get in a good deal of dodging and a bit of blocking in.

Kamuk does all this with these 9 goblins, and gets toughness and will power to superior, and brings dodger skill from adept to professional.

The number of attacks per shot during the delay after firing the crossbow drops to 8 once Kamuk hits High Master Marksdwarf (lvl 12). If I remember correctly it stays at 8 through legendary, with 16 being the highest number of attacks if you're a dabbling archer/bow/crossbow user.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: July 22, 2016, 10:11:29 am »

lost a tree fort due to a crash from messing with zones.
but learn you can totally build stuff in trees normally now.
like walls and stuff.

Mostly I found out is it's possible to build a tube to fill water in to swim up with for an makeshift custom ladder.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: July 22, 2016, 11:44:55 am »

My human adventurer dreamed of ruling the world. He was a master wrestles and a novice in swimmer, dodging. (this may have been his downfall) He immediately took over a human city by proclaiming himself ruler, and killing the former. His attacks with the scimitar oddly hardly ever decapitated stuff. It would say it was cloven asunder and/or it twisted with the force of the blow. Turns out the female ruler was the daughter of an overlord mother and a bandit leader father. The father was of unknown parentage and was obsessed with extending his own life, he worshipped a god of twilight on top of it. So he killed an evil bloodline, became lord, killed his people, and was ultimately surrounded and killed by five goblins.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12738 on: July 23, 2016, 08:44:08 am »

Just some incidental adventure in town.

First, a rainy late afternoon visit to the bowyer's shop.
Kamuk dropped off the 25 arrows, eight bows and crossbows  he had crafted. Jirdo the human bowyer wasn't interested in negotiations. 490 was the only offer.
This is where having a working economy would have been nice. The gold itself was useless, just a  keepsake from roleplay. Nothing more. The coins can't even be directly given away without being a container.

On the way back to the tavern there was an streetside encounter. A low skilled master and a few lieutenants.
This was also the first instance where Kamuk spoke about deeds performed and only because Osplek the human engraver had been hanging out in his shop's doorway during the knife fight.

Later Kamuk made a useful trade at the weapons shop. It was the silver halberd (Kamuk picked up off axegoblin bandit, Niyo ilewatha) in exchange for a silver war hammer. He had left his other hammer back north at his camp Forestabbey.

Kind of idling about at this point. Primtown doesn't have an armorer and Kamuk does want to trade off the suits of masterwork leather armor he's crafted. He'll likely head north to the nearest fortress. Doesn't make much sense to trade dwarf-sized armor in a human town.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:23:49 am by peasant cretin »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12739 on: July 23, 2016, 08:27:06 pm »

I punched a priest in the face for being annoying, then got an iron carving knife through the brains for my effort. Turns out the guy was a vampire. Why are all priests vampires?!? Every time I deal with one, he turns out to be a vampire...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: July 24, 2016, 01:02:44 am »

Maybe you're just really good at punching vampires pretending to be religious figureheads. I've found very few vampire-priests of late. Last two vampires I hunted down were a bard and a swordsman (I assume he was a mercenary)

I caught a vampire seducer's thrall/wife (a modded creature, a bloodsucking spouse converter) while playing tonight. Let my companion dispatch her.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: July 25, 2016, 12:17:29 am »

Got in a fight with some bandits, then got inventive and lit things on fire right before climbing a tree, and then jumping between them to get to the other side of the camp, then jumping down and cutting down the leader. Sadly my companions didn't make it, except a bowman I picked up a while back. They were all caught in the blaze. We mourned them, then gathered a new party. Got into an intense wrestling match with a minotaur, then finally beat it, with help from a lasher. Everyone else was busy outside fighting giant dingoes.

UPDATE: Once again everyone but the bowman died, this time to a Hydra. In fact, I didn't kill the Hydra, he got a shot into it's heart with a steel bolt, and then it's lungs with a couple more. He's not even legendary, how is he pulling off stuff my groups of legendary markdwarves can't do?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:25:02 am by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12742 on: July 25, 2016, 03:11:15 am »

Conservation of ninjitsu. He is the one true bowman, the only one that matters. Your marks dwarves are but one of many, and each weak because of that.

Nah, he's just got loaded dice and keeps rolling critical successes.

So tonight I visited the last two libraries in this new world. Had to trek all the way across the map, going around the large sea that takes up the center and trails off the west side. Mostly stuck to the northern mountain range actually, since rivers near mountains are more likely to be brooks so there's often room for uninterrupted travel. Went through a huge evil hills region twice, once going in a once out, to reach a dwarven civ tucked away on the other side of a mountain range.

Later got attacked by dingo men. They didn't seem very competent at spotting me or my companion so we snuck away. I asked him to wait and went back, tried to start a conversation with one of them. Even yielded and lying on the ground. This dingo woman wasn't paying attention despite me talking right to her, and I had to walk all the way around to the front where she could see me. Then she went NO QUARTER and attacked me. Apparently they really wanted to eat me. I killed them all.

Despite killing them and quite a few other wildlife, I have no notable kills to my name ignoring that dingo woman (I gave her a nickname before trying to talk to her, making her a notable kill). I've been letting my companion do all the killing, and since I'm playing as a collector of scripture rather than a hero or monster hunter I don't care.

We also encountered a giant hyena in its lair. It didn't attack us despite us walking back and forth in front of it. It also had some corpses and junk on the floor of its den. Attacked it and let my companion kill it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12743 on: July 25, 2016, 03:20:11 am »

Ran into an aggressive bandit group, about twice the size of my own. They ambushed us on a brook, and took the lives of my swordsman and macedwarf. I'm now proficient in both swordsman and hammerman, despite starting out novice in both. I also thought of something: Why don't I go to my human fort I retired, with it's large pile of human-sized steel armour? I imported so much steel from the dwarves and draconians to make it, makes no sense to let it go to waste. We'll be the only group of humans with steel equipment, only people with masterwork equipment, and the wielders of a few artifacts! But then we'll probably die to something incredibly unremarkable, like a pack of wolves.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: July 25, 2016, 03:57:11 am »

Heading north was a good choice.

At the fortress Bronzearches, Kamuk was able to swap out various clothing items for those with midnight blue  dimple dye, some found, some by trade.

In regard to non-cloak items when cloaks are available, color is functionally superficial. Definitely nice to have RP-wise, but not necessary. Aside from slow travel at night, having a cloak with dimple dye (in absence of other color types) when moving through certain backdrops has always been quite helpful. A red rope reed cloak is an equally good alternate, but in this climate, none have been available.

Kamuk also set out to acquire by trade, a 3r steel pick. No luck at all in Bronzearches. At the hillock Boardwhipped, he found one on Fath Cloistermoment, a bone doctor.  Kamuk was going to offer Fath a *silver maul*, as this seems in keeping with the activity of most bone doctors, but instead offered a replacement +iron pick+, an exceptional yak leather braies, and a masterwork longfin mako shark leather armor in return. In the same mound was a gelder by the name of Logem Gidthurfath. She had a +bismuth bronze carving knife+. No amount of questioning would reveal the manner in which she came into possession of an improved item.

Kamuk unwisely spent the night at Boardwhipped. No fast moving asterisks appeared on the fast travel map while sleep unloaded the site.

In the morning he headed east.

Prior to the first river crossing Kamuk did a bit of foraging as he was out of food. He spam picked walnuts until he got his climbing speed to drop from 0.0130 to 0.0129. I did try to drop it to 0.0128, but that looked like quite a bit of gathering. He stopped at about 60 nuts.

Kamuk decided to build camp on the edge of a lake that seemed to be canopied by consistent cloud cover.

He scouted various locations that all seemed fairly decent for a small structure.
What he was really looking for was a place that offered natural barriers to work with, without having to destroy any upward slopes by installing floors. This is the first build without a central persistent campfire lighting the main room. It makes for a dark environment at night.

Also made a terrarium. It's pretty silly.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: July 25, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »

I made my first adventurer for several versions. This is so much fun. I just hacked a bandit with a training axe until it broke. Then I punched him to death. I also have a full set of suspiciously dented and blood-splattered iron armor. Ever single piece has thwarted my axe at some point.

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12746 on: July 25, 2016, 03:15:09 pm »

Going around as an elephant man taking orders from my adventurer's home hamlet as a hearthperson to kill various beasts in nearby lairs is all I'm doing with my adventure right now.
(Don't bully me for playing at "Easy difficulty")

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12747 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:10 pm »

God dammit... My adventurer died... We invaded a necro tower, didn't expect to find Draconians among his apprentices. I don't use a shield, so the burning draconian apprentice's fire breath took a toll on me, and the rogue draconian's poison was enough to knock out my guys in a bite or two. Of course their master was right there, reviving them every time I took one down.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12748 on: July 25, 2016, 04:54:07 pm »

I just had an amazing battle with a pikemaster. After exchanging many injuries, I finally broke his armor and came out on top. I will take his masterwork iron helm and masterwork bronze high boots to remember him.

RIP Posa Handledtattooed
221-250
He was a fucking awesome warrior

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: July 25, 2016, 05:00:57 pm »

I just had an amazing battle with a pikemaster. After exchanging many injuries, I finally broke his armor and came out on top. I will take his masterwork iron helm and masterwork bronze high boots to remember him.

RIP Posa Handledtattooed
221-250
He was a fucking awesome warrior

I love fighting master warriors, they're actually challenges.
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1104