Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2093917 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5175 on: March 17, 2013, 08:49:57 pm »

I wandered from my starting point and found a cave. Which had a zebra brute demon in it.

My follower and I eventually killed it, but I'm down three limbs and in a cavern.

ETA: . . . and now I'm stuck in a tree.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:33:20 pm by GuesssWho »
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: March 18, 2013, 10:50:02 am »

Hello Ragnarock,

I am using vanilla DF. However, the world I am currently adventure in is meant to be used for fortress mode later on, meaning that I have set vampires and werecreatures to 0. While this is good for fortress mode, it does leave kind of a gap for adventurers (^_^;;

On the other hand, the world is in the Fourth Age of Myth, I think, in the year 321, so there still seems to be stuff to defeat around.

In other news, I am beginning to get a bad run of legs lately. First, I have an adventurer mauled by lions. Actually, I had figured that lions were too dangerous for my leather-equipped heroine. Instead, I went for a group of vultures nearby. Having finished one of the vultures and deciding I should haul the goods back to town to sell, one of the two lions shows up on the upper rim of the dried-up pool I finished the vulture in. Before I can react, the lion is upon me, and relatively quickly tears off one of my feet, ignoring the leather high boots, as I expected. I still manage to kill that lion and also its partner, which arrives just a few turns too late to save its buddy and then crawl back to town (using speed travel in between to avoid medical complications). In town, I start looking for crutches, but without any luck. Finally, I go down into the dungeons under the keep and find lots of nice gear there, but no crutch, until a hammerman and maceman show up and end my thieving career....

And now, I have just retired a promising adventurer. While the armorer in the town she was had a fancy for copper gauntlets (tons of copper gauntlets, but no other armor, not even a copper cap), the weapon smith featured some silver and iron weapons, including an -iron long sword-. Thus, I was trying to amass enough goods/money to purchase that shiny thing. Having sold some more fox skins and finding my funds still insufficient, I walked over to the rive in the heart of town. Huh? A green 'C' in the water? A salt water crocodile!?!? In a river in the middle of a town which is not a coast town? Well, remembering the last adventurer who met a similar reptile, I started running. Of course, the direction I head in has no inhabited houses, instead a temple with no one around. And the the crocodile is upon me. I fight, and I am able to stab its belly often enough to kill it. But not before it deals me serious nervous damage to my leg. I butcher its carcass, but then I decide to retire the adventurer, having learned my lesson about crutch-hunting.

Yours,
Deathworks

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:04 pm »

I accused a temple-leader of being a vampire and was right.
He evaded my attack, right down one Z-level.
Down there was a child. With a knife.

Until i reached the Vampire, running down the flight of stairs and to the site of landing, the child had stabbed him to death.
Im not making this up.

Hes been bitten though.
Should i... erm... take care of him?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: March 18, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

No; bites do not transfer the curse. Only drinking blood does. Also, the kid's still a civ member, and now a local hero. If you assault him, you gonna die.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: March 18, 2013, 02:39:26 pm »

Drinking he blood?

Assuming that i, theoretically, kind of drank some of the blood splatters all around to save water, would i, had i done this, which i certainly didnt, become a theoretical vampire?
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: March 18, 2013, 02:59:22 pm »

It would be possible, yes, although sometimes there are problems with the curse not transferring correctly, and if you drank someone elses' blood, even laced with the vampire's, then it is even less likely as it appears to demand that you drink the actual blood spatter of the vampire, and in fortress mode it must also be purely vampire blood with no extra contaminants, or water laced with nothing BUT pure vampire blood. Hell, I can't claim to even be sure of that; sometimes it works, sometimes you can't get it to work to save your life. If you were to theoretically consume tainted blood, and it successfully transferred the curse, your first indication may be that you become thirsty, while never again feeling thirsty, hungry, or drowsy. Sometimes you can also tell because there is a little Ñ next to your character's name. You might also notice a sudden, drastic change in speed, and an inability to further alter your speed through training attributes.
I make Spellcrafts!

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: March 18, 2013, 05:21:29 pm »

Asked a siege operator about her family, she told me that her paternal grandfather was also her uncle. Yes, it is possible without time travel, remarrying, or extramarital doings but it's still incestuous for a woman to marry her brother's son. There is no [ETHIC:INCEST] tag though, so I guess her civ doesn't mind.

On further research their primary god is associated with lust. I guess kinky is their thing.

EDIT: Of the various prominent cults devoted to their god of lust, one is led by a Sacred Rawness. I winced.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:48:24 pm by MrSparky »

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: March 19, 2013, 05:31:12 am »

After running through the wilderness for 3 ingame days, im not hungry but Thirsty...
I get the uneasy feeling that something might be wrong with me.
Cant quite put the finger on it though.

Will unfortunate things happen if i dont do anything specific?
Like, i dont know, drinking the blood of maidens or something?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: March 19, 2013, 09:59:49 am »

Not necessarily maidens, but if you don't suck blood from an unconscious victim you will slow down.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: March 19, 2013, 10:08:46 am »

Do dead victims count?
If not, how do i extract blood from a living being? Is there a shortcut for feeding?
"I"nteract?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:15 am »

Place a chokehold on their throat, then you can drain them. It's wrestling.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: March 19, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »

Hello everyone!

Things have taken a rapid change for the better, I hope. In my last post, I mentioned that I retired a crippled adventurer. Of course, I totally forgot about the bug where such a retirement corrupts the save, making it impossible to play adventure mode in it. I had a backup of the unused world, but it felt odd to restart adventuring in a world that had already seen a few of my adventurers come and go. So, I genned a new world with nearly the same settings (only increased height variance slightly as the new seed didn't return enough peaks otherwise), and got a nice little one. While the original world was in the Fourth Age of Myth, this one was in the Second Age of Myth, which is still not bad, I guess.

Starting off adventuring in a human civ that is basically crouching along the central mountain chain, my first sentiment was disappointment - a copper two-handed sword! I don't know about the stats, but wielding a two-handed sword and a shield at the same time goes against the grain for me. Checking the map, I was relieved to see that I was but two map tiles from the next town away, so hope of deliverance was there.

And at that town, my fortunes have definitely taken a turn for the better - the local armor smith and weapon smith are stocked to the brim with copper, silver and iron goods! So are the import shops. The surrounding hills have emus and boars living there, so now I have a copper long sword and a complete suit of copper armor (breast plate, mail shirt, greaves, gauntlets, high boots, helm) and I have no doubt about the possibility to purchase a complete iron outfit in that town. There are a lot of dwarven children living together with the humans there, indicating the strength of the connections.

Right now, I am dedicated to hunting, not only to get the money for the iron equipment, but also to raise my armor skill, as I am currently at less than 500 speed while walking (^_^;;

Anyhow, I think the future looks bright for my adventurer.

Yours,
Deathworks

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »

Place a chokehold on their throat, then you can drain them. It's wrestling.

More specifically; choke them until they lose consciousness, then press "e" and you will see the option to drink their blood when standing near the unconscious target. Do NOT drain the blood of civ members while in the sights of another member of the civ (or wrestle and choke anyone, for that matter) or you will become an enemy of the civ.
I make Spellcrafts!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: March 19, 2013, 06:41:07 pm »

The local temple has a holy gut. He must be really fat . . .

ETA: I kill a hill titan without a scratch, then get both legs broken by kobolds. The hell?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:26:39 pm by GuesssWho »
I have no clue what I am doing here.

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:13 pm »

How the Hell?

I assume there's some sort of DfHack way to fix this. Any ideas?

Edit: I should actually explain what happened. I went to sleep at the ground floor of the fort. When I woke up, everyone was on the roof.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:09:20 pm by RockBiterSon »
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 1104