Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655379 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3045 on: September 30, 2013, 07:21:46 am »

It is pretty sad... the game has much more potential than what most mod projects do with it.  I don't know how difficult it is to mod, though.  Probably a factor.

Given that both games share nearly identical modsystem, if something is possible in M&B, you can do it in Warband, maaaaaybe with a few changes to reflect the changes. In fact, there's a very simple method of porting M&B mods to Warband, it literally takes copying one file from M&B resources to Warband resources and two files from Warband Native module to the module you're porting (respectively, clothes_a.brf (or _b, can't remember right now, the one that's missing in Warband), actions.txt and module.ini).

It's a quick and dirty method and it shows (lords in castles are naked, guards hold invisible staves, some error reports show up that might clog up your log), but nothing that creates problems with actual gameplay outside those minor, mostly aesthetic things.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3046 on: October 01, 2013, 12:52:13 am »

It is pretty sad... the game has much more potential than what most mod projects do with it.  I don't know how difficult it is to mod, though.  Probably a factor.

Given that both games share nearly identical modsystem, if something is possible in M&B, you can do it in Warband, maaaaaybe with a few changes to reflect the changes. In fact, there's a very simple method of porting M&B mods to Warband, it literally takes copying one file from M&B resources to Warband resources and two files from Warband Native module to the module you're porting (respectively, clothes_a.brf (or _b, can't remember right now, the one that's missing in Warband), actions.txt and module.ini).

It's a quick and dirty method and it shows (lords in castles are naked, guards hold invisible staves, some error reports show up that might clog up your log), but nothing that creates problems with actual gameplay outside those minor, mostly aesthetic things.

Immersion is rolling in it's grave.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: October 01, 2013, 03:43:22 am »

Immersion is rolling in it's grave.

You can wait for them to go patrolling, they look normal when met outside the city. I wonder what causes that - probably related to the fact that lords change into civvie clothes in castles and the one missing clothes file. Incidentally, I wonder if you can replace clothes textures in M&B with Warband higher quality ones.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: December 24, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »

Spoiler: 1600x900 image (click to show/hide)

I think now is as good a time as any to update anybody who may have not been paying attention, but Taleworlds is still working on Bannerlord. They've released three little blogs, here, here, and here. This latest one has the most interesting image, showing off the inventory UI.

Most notably you see an inventory slot for your neck/shoulders, which could mean wearing capes and maybe even have hoods over your helmet, and a slot for non-dlc horse armor. They're still using a 4-slot weapon system, where a kitchen knife will take up just as much space on your character as a heavy board shield. Items appear to stack in your inventory now, so if you have 30 woolen shoes it won't take up 3 pages of information. Armor values are still just a plain armor stat, armors aren't made of of materials that will protect you from certain damage types more than others. Of course, this could all change... They also said they improved tooltips (or am I confusing that info with the new KSP release?) but we can't see any in this shot.

I'd still like to be able to dye/paint my clothes... I know, it's a small little thing, but it would make characters a bit less monotonous and I'm a sucker for being able to do that kinda thing anyways =p Plus, it would remove the need to have redundant pallet swapped items: "red tunic over mail" "blue tunic over mail" "green tunic over mail" etc.

Then there's three mysterious slots in the bottom right, hmmmm. The icons look kinda like barrels?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: December 24, 2013, 05:27:02 pm »

I think now is as good a time as any to update anybody who may have not been paying attention, but Taleworlds is still working on Bannerlord. They've released three little blogs, here, here, and here. This latest one has the most interesting image, showing off the inventory UI.

Most notably you see an inventory slot for your neck/shoulders, which could mean wearing capes and maybe even have hoods over your helmet, and a slot for non-dlc horse armor. They're still using a 4-slot weapon system, where a kitchen knife will take up just as much space on your character as a heavy board shield. Items appear to stack in your inventory now, so if you have 30 woolen shoes it won't take up 3 pages of information. Armor values are still just a plain armor stat, armors aren't made of of materials that will protect you from certain damage types more than others. Of course, this could all change... They also said they improved tooltips (or am I confusing that info with the new KSP release?) but we can't see any in this shot.

I'd still like to be able to dye/paint my clothes... I know, it's a small little thing, but it would make characters a bit less monotonous and I'm a sucker for being able to do that kinda thing anyways =p Plus, it would remove the need to have redundant pallet swapped items: "red tunic over mail" "blue tunic over mail" "green tunic over mail" etc.

Then there's three mysterious slots in the bottom right, hmmmm. The icons look kinda like barrels?

They might be Discard slots. It's not like anyone ever used all the nine slots in M&B and Warband, and 70% of the players probably never used Discard, period.

I think the dye/paint think actually makes sense: this is fantastical Early Middle Ages. Dyes are a Big Deal. Plus, you're supposed to be buying an actual set of actual clothes, with varying availability and quality.

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: December 24, 2013, 06:57:33 pm »

I'm hoping that they spend a good amount of time on social interactions. To me, that is one of the most interesting aspects of medieval life. Throw in some intricate conspiracies and rebellions. Oh, and how about dowry. I'd like to turn a profit out of marriage, thank you.

If they do add the ability to dye clothes then I'd also like to see an armor, shield, and weapon painting feature. Maybe a decal creator for crests too.

So far though, the game's looking great! Can't wait for it to come out. And... stacks of items. Yay!
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: December 24, 2013, 08:12:36 pm »

The barrels could be for food storage? There's another barrel symbol up the top centre that might lead to a larger storage section, the ones there being the currently eaten food.

I'd like if they make the over world map more interesting. Mount and Blade always lacked detail in that regard, to me. More roads, paved roads, fields and boundary walls, forests with a darker texture underneath them to make them stand out more, more natural looking rivers and so on.
The battlefield changing depending where your fighting more would be nice. I think it does that if you fight in a forest, but if you fight on a bridge it'd be nice to have the bridge present in the battlefield.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:24 pm »

I played a lot of M&B. I think all the Kherjits on horses and orcs from The Last Days mod that I headshot with a bow from across the map made me really good at High Explosive turret Lightning tank from Planetside 2 when PS2 came out. I remember considering how much easier it would have been to have an HE cannon in M&B, especially in The Last Days, as I was exploding shells inside waves of The Enclave from the Crown as they attacked TI Alloys.

I'll probably get the new one if it's pretty good; I didn't get Warband or the other one because I already had the original and didn't want to buy M&B again.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:44:36 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: December 24, 2013, 08:58:04 pm »

I've never played the game myself, but I saw someone playing Rome Total War (the first one) and the way they did the battle maps was very interesting, and if they did it like that in M&B 2 that would be pretty sweet. Basically the overworld map is just a zoomed out view, and when two armies fight it sort of zooms in and sections off a part of the map to make boundaries. This meant that if you were travelling with a mountain on your right and got into a fight that very same mountain would be to your right in the actual battle. (EDIT: This also meant if you were travelling down a hill and got into a battle then you'd be fighting down the hill =p)

This would not only make the random map generation obsolete, but would also make the game world itself much more interesting. You could have areas on the map where you've won multiple battles and it could be kinda like a 'historical' landmark of sorts. The dev blogs also mention ambushes, so if they made roads that enable faster travel it could be interesting to fight ambushes on those, or even have streams, rivers, and bridges and such.

The social and quest stuff of M&B never really interested me... but I guess because it wasn't that good. if they made it interesting then I could probably get into it =p

As for not owning Warband... considering how often it goes on sale it's worth the <5 money that you have to spend. There's mods for it that aren't available for the original too, plus multiplayer if that's your kind of thing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:03:21 pm by OzyTheSage »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: December 25, 2013, 05:34:21 am »

I want to get back into Warband but for some reason I have noticed that Steam ignored my request to NOT UPDATE THE FUCKING GAME. Leaving me with my mods not matching the suggested version. Anyone know if the top 5 like mods still work with the recent version of Warband???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: December 25, 2013, 06:34:22 am »

I want to get back into Warband but for some reason I have noticed that Steam ignored my request to NOT UPDATE THE FUCKING GAME. Leaving me with my mods not matching the suggested version. Anyone know if the top 5 like mods still work with the recent version of Warband???

Top 5 definitely do. Hell, any mod for 1.143 should work UNLESS, and it's a big UNLESS, it happens to use Warband Script Expander (WSE), which is sadly not up to date and likely never will.

Although if you have a Steam version, you can download an earlier version from... wherever, really, and it shouldn't ask you for your serial, so you could freely install outdated mods over these.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: December 25, 2013, 07:37:43 am »

I'll probably get the new one if it's pretty good; I didn't get Warband or the other one because I already had the original and didn't want to buy M&B again.

Ahahahahaha oh god, I don't know how you could stick with regular M&B. Warband is better in a lot of ways, but I'd never have gotten as much time in it if it didn't allow you to Control + Space to speed up time when you were moving on the world map. You could ControlSpace through time in the original M&B too, yeah, but it locked you in one spot, so all travel was slooooooooooooooooow.

It's one of those little quality of life things that just so happens to massively improve the product.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: December 25, 2013, 07:53:39 am »

Ahahahahaha oh god, I don't know how you could stick with regular M&B. Warband is better in a lot of ways, but I'd never have gotten as much time in it if it didn't allow you to Control + Space to speed up time when you were moving on the world map. You could ControlSpace through time in the original M&B too, yeah, but it locked you in one spot, so all travel was slooooooooooooooooow.

It's one of those little quality of life things that just so happens to massively improve the product.

One word: mods. Solid & Shade and 1866 alone make me feel like buying M&B was money well spent. Of course, if someone were to port those to Warband, I would pick Warband any minute.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: December 25, 2013, 08:02:01 am »

One word: mods. Solid & Shade and 1866 alone make me feel like buying M&B was money well spent. Of course, if someone were to port those to Warband, I would pick Warband any minute.

I won't deny those are good, because they are! I'm a proud owner of both M&B and Warband, though, so I get the best of both. Warband is worth picking up on its own merits, honestly, and I highly recommend it.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: December 25, 2013, 08:21:48 am »

There is at least one western mod for Warband, but it isn't as unique or feature filled as the 1866 mod is.

For Warband, the most impressive mods I've played so far are Anno Domini 1257 and Gekokujo. Anno Domini 1257 is quite expansive with the sheer amount of factions, also I believe you can build your own castles. The only issue I have with it is it's rather resource intensive with the detailed textures, causing it to crash frequently on saving or long battles.

Gekokujo is a nice medieval Japan mod. It's not finished completely but it's got custom castles, villages and unit rosters. The only real downside I'd give it is it's got a lot of Touhou references in it, such as most of the ladies names, a number of companions and a good deal if not all the music is various remixes of Touhou music which doesn't often match the mood (I play with the music off).

I still have to try Prophesy of Pendor and A Clash of Kings.

Oh! There's also a really great looking mod called Grim Age: Skirmish. It's a Warhammer Fantasy themed mod, not out yet but the modelling work done on it so far is some of the best I've seen for Mount and Blade, along with L'aigle.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 310