Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655374 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3060 on: December 25, 2013, 08:37:27 am »

There is at least one western mod for Warband, but it isn't as unique or feature filled as the 1866 mod is.

For Warband, the most impressive mods I've played so far are Anno Domini 1257 and Gekokujo. Anno Domini 1257 is quite expansive with the sheer amount of factions, also I believe you can build your own castles. The only issue I have with it is it's rather resource intensive with the detailed textures, causing it to crash frequently on saving or long battles.

Gekokujo is a nice medieval Japan mod. It's not finished completely but it's got custom castles, villages and unit rosters. The only real downside I'd give it is it's got a lot of Touhou references in it, such as most of the ladies names, a number of companions and a good deal if not all the music is various remixes of Touhou music which doesn't often match the mood (I play with the music off).

I still have to try Prophesy of Pendor and A Clash of Kings.

Oh! There's also a really great looking mod called Grim Age: Skirmish. It's a Warhammer Fantasy themed mod, not out yet but the modelling work done on it so far is some of the best I've seen for Mount and Blade, along with L'aigle.

Yeah, 1860's Old America. I... don't like it. I really want to, but I cannot. It's a mess: you start with crazy high STR and AGI (22 for the former IIRC), sometimes you find clothes in a weapons shop or goods or whatever else on the market, the armor textures are all over the place, some taken from 1866, some edited poorly and unshaded, some decent, and the models are hacky, resulting in the invisible shin problem with some clothes, or your character apparently being bald and wearing a wig, because a lot of hats come with hair attached.

Mexico looks like New England in November because the author used Polished Landscapes without considering how to use it properly, a lot of items don't have their names changed from programmerese, and the map is painfully dull.

It pretty much doesn't know what is it supposed to be, it doesn't feel like a Western, it doesn't feel like Civil War, it's just a mess.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: December 25, 2013, 08:50:31 am »

Yeah, 1860's Old America. I... don't like it. I really want to, but I cannot. It's a mess: you start with crazy high STR and AGI (22 for the former IIRC), sometimes you find clothes in a weapons shop or goods or whatever else on the market, the armor textures are all over the place, some taken from 1866, some edited poorly and unshaded, some decent, and the models are hacky, resulting in the invisible shin problem with some clothes, or your character apparently being bald and wearing a wig, because a lot of hats come with hair attached.

Mexico looks like New England in November because the author used Polished Landscapes without considering how to use it properly, a lot of items don't have their names changed from programmerese, and the map is painfully dull.

It pretty much doesn't know what is it supposed to be, it doesn't feel like a Western, it doesn't feel like Civil War, it's just a mess.

There's also the fact that Gabrilduro (or whatever his name is), the mod maker, has an ego a mile high, and held back on releasing a more complete version until it got a bunch of 10 votes on ModDB. Or is holding it back, present tense, I'm not entirely sure about the situation at the moment.

Gekokujo is a nice medieval Japan mod. It's not finished completely but it's got custom castles, villages and unit rosters. The only real downside I'd give it is it's got a lot of Touhou references in it, such as most of the ladies names, a number of companions and a good deal if not all the music is various remixes of Touhou music which doesn't often match the mood (I play with the music off).

As for Gekokujo, while I'll freely admit the battle music is completely ridiculous, you have to admit the out-of-combat stuff is perfectly fitting. Heck, even the battle music grew on me after a while, in a campy Dynasty Warriors kind of way.

Long as we're talking about interesting-looking mods, there's also... ah, damn, I forgot the name. It was this one zombie apocalypse kind of deal, it had a trailer and everything, with working helicopters and people taking cover in gunfights and zombie animals and other neat things. It's not out yet, but it looked good.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: December 25, 2013, 08:54:44 am »

I just got this, and it's fucking fun. I've got a 30-man strong Nordic party (including two companions that can't stand eachother (Deshavi and Rolf)), and the Nordic kingdom is currently at war with Swadia.

I'm constantly looking for money though, since I still need a good 100 denars for sustenance on top of what I get paid for being in the army. Luckily I got 2500 denars ransom for a Vaegir lord and one of the jarls gave me a cut of the taxes I helped him collect.

Also I'm playing on a difficulty that could be described as "piss-easy" but I really don't care.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: December 25, 2013, 09:11:27 am »

Did you get Warband or the original game?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: December 25, 2013, 09:33:14 am »

I just got this, and it's fucking fun. I've got a 30-man strong Nordic party (including two companions that can't stand eachother (Deshavi and Rolf)), and the Nordic kingdom is currently at war with Swadia.

I'm constantly looking for money though, since I still need a good 100 denars for sustenance on top of what I get paid for being in the army. Luckily I got 2500 denars ransom for a Vaegir lord and one of the jarls gave me a cut of the taxes I helped him collect.

Also I'm playing on a difficulty that could be described as "piss-easy" but I really don't care.

Just wait until you get to rule entire countries and command 1000 man armies...yeah, that's fun.

And then you'll get into the modding scene and so on so forth. I would actually recommend playing with the Diplomacy mod right off the bat due to how much more exciting it makes the late game. Trust me, you'd be kicking yourself if you've played hours upon hours into the game, stumble across this, and find yourself incapable of playing with all the features it brings. (Trust me, I was. Being the king of half of Calradia and having to start again to play with all these awesome mods...I did not enjoy it.)
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: December 25, 2013, 11:14:32 am »

I just wish Diplomacy was still being updated.

As for money, building enterprises is a good investment because it gives you weekly cash, so you aren't in  danger of going into debt from a large army. Trading between towns is also handy, you just need one or two known killer routes (close together and has a good profit. Someone else could help you with that, or a Google. I don't know the vanilla routes as well.) And finally, looting villages is lucrative,  just beware f lords coming by and attacking you while you're looting. And the village you loot will HATE you after, so make sure you don't care about them liking you.

You can also fight in the arena to get cash.  It takes a bit of real-world time,  but it has the threefold benefit of giving experience,  not taking any in-game time, and helping you learn the combat system.  I usually nip into the arena first-thing until I have enough cash for a worthwhile enterprise, and then use the training fields and small looter bands to level up to level 20 before recruiting in villages. Before that i just use companions,  it's a bit of a waste of time to recruit guys until you can train them up quickly,  which you need trainer to do and most of the good units need a trainer who is level twenty to train to without fighting.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:22:45 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: December 25, 2013, 11:46:31 am »

Warband. And Napoleonic Wars c:

Also, do you have to supply enterprises yourself? I haven't bought one because I'm not sure.

And I'll check out Diplomacy some time.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: December 25, 2013, 11:58:46 am »

Warband. And Napoleonic Wars c:

Also, do you have to supply enterprises yourself? I haven't bought one because I'm not sure.

You can. When you chose an enterprise it'll come up with the cost of setting it up, the cost of raw materials as well as labour costs, then how much you can expect to make.

If it's an ironsmith, say, you can supply them with iron which means they'll use that up before buying more. You can make more profit that way if you happen upon the resources while shopping or raiding a village. As long as what you paid to acquire it was less then what they'd pay for it anyway.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: December 25, 2013, 11:59:40 am »

No, they'll buy raw materials automatically. You CAN supply them personally,  but it's easier to just set them up in a place where the raw materials are cheap and the finished product is expensive.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: December 25, 2013, 12:05:22 pm »

Oh, cool. Then I'll buy one for sure.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: December 25, 2013, 12:26:25 pm »

You can also tell them to keep the finished product in their inventory.  So you can set up an enterprise in a city with good raw materials prices, leave it for a few weeks, and if you need a quick cash infusion just go there and grab it and sell it at a good town.

For obvious reasons you'd want to only do thIs after you have a fair number of other shops, after the more obvious places are already taken. 

Oh, and you can only have one enterprise per city.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: December 25, 2013, 01:04:01 pm »

And if the city's lord hates you, you can't set up an enterprise there. If you already have one and you go to war with the faction owning the city, you stop getting money from it until you're no longer at war or the city changes hands.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: December 25, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »

I find it easier to just take cities in a war, especially as the nords. Get one castle so you can save a garrison, get ~50 huscarls and ~50 assorted other troops, and you'll be able to solo it no problem. Your jarlish bros should show up to help defend it if the enemy sieges it. I guess it's affording the huscarls in that early bit that's the trouble.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: December 25, 2013, 04:25:38 pm »

Pick up iron at Dhirim and/or Curaw, sell in Reyvadin.  Usually works in most versions of the game (although sometimes it doesn't make a ton of money).  Dhirm and Curaw neighbor Reyvadin, and you tend to sell the iron for 2-3 times what you bought it for.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: December 25, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »

Does anyone know of an means (be it through a client or crude manual yanking) to raise the default garrison size of cities? The game would be playable if not for how frequently cities change hands and the tendency of the game to complete itself within mere hours.

Utterly immersion breaking.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 310