Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657349 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2745 on: December 25, 2012, 08:42:48 pm »

My jump slashing strategy was really used to make up for the elevation difference. I want to kill the rider without having to strike the horse several times first. Why slash an armored warhorse six times when I can just jump and slash the rider? I play with Rhodok infantry and archers, and I always order them to bunch up together versus cavalry. The cavalry charge and get stuck in the infantry line. Easy jump kill if I walk around the line. I also found that if there are a lot of soldiers and horses crowding the area, your jumps can get stuck. You end up floating in mid air until room is cleared out for you to land. Extra horsemen slashing time.
I usually got some big, dangerous axe and just swing at the horse while he was going past me. The horse would drop dead and the rider would fly into my ranks and get massacred by my horde of angry piranhas huscarls.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:34:32 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: December 26, 2012, 07:27:24 pm »

My jump slashing strategy was really used to make up for the elevation difference. I want to kill the rider without having to strike the horse several times first. Why slash an armored warhorse six times when I can just jump and slash the rider? I play with Rhodok infantry and archers, and I always order them to bunch up together versus cavalry. The cavalry charge and get stuck in the infantry line. Easy jump kill if I walk around the line. I also found that if there are a lot of soldiers and horses crowding the area, your jumps can get stuck. You end up floating in mid air until room is cleared out for you to land. Extra horsemen slashing time.
I usually got some big, dangerous axe and just swung at the horse while he was going past me. The horse would drop dead and the rider would fly into my ranks and get massacred by my horde of angry piranhas huscarls.

Heh, yes. one of the really big bardiches or two-handed axes can kill most horses with a good swing or two.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: December 26, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »

And so, the arms race of spear lengths. Cavalry trying to stab you? Get a longer pointy stick and forcibly dismount them first.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: December 27, 2012, 05:04:49 am »

I only ever used the jump'n'slash in tournaments; in real battles, I'm on a horse, and it's got enough armour that I don't lose it.

That said, I really wanna try and do a jump kick. If it's possible, hitting a charging enemy might actually mean it does enough energy to unhorse someone.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: December 28, 2012, 12:04:17 am »

I only ever used the jump'n'slash in tournaments; in real battles, I'm on a horse, and it's got enough armour that I don't lose it.

That said, I really wanna try and do a jump kick. If it's possible, hitting a charging enemy might actually mean it does enough energy to unhorse someone.

Ive tried, and never made it work.  Backing a guy into a corner and kicking him to death during a tourny is pretty lols though, they get stunlocked.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Eurynomos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: December 29, 2012, 01:22:28 am »

Ive tried, and never made it work.  Backing a guy into a corner and kicking him to death during a tourny is pretty lols though, they get stunlocked.
I've never made regular kicking work in the first place. :(

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: December 29, 2012, 01:44:01 am »

I do recall once kicking about 130 enemies off a castle I was defending. Just me, 15 rhodok sharpshooters, and 75 huscarls against 1200 dirty Vaegirs.

I ended up winning, weirdly enough (though after a shameless savescum), once I realized that it's best to just let them come inside, and have the huskies hold them at some chokepoints while the crossbowmen and myself shoot them all to pieces from the courtyard.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: December 29, 2012, 01:58:00 am »

It works, you've just got to get really close. Which is difficult because, unless they're wielding a dagger, they'll prefer to stand further back than you need; worse, they back away if you approach and bumrushing them will usually just get you stabbed for your troubles. The best bet is to push them into a corner like jester said and spam the kick key. The first one or two probably won't land, but once one does, they're screwed.

The ideal time to practice is during an ambush in a town at night; you'll have heavy armour, they... don't. Plus there's a certain comedy to a group of bandits trying to jump a guy, only to all slowly succumb to being repeatedly booted in the nuts.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: December 29, 2012, 02:01:29 am »

It works, you've just got to get really close. Which is difficult because, unless they're wielding a dagger, they'll prefer to stand further back than you need; worse, they back away if you approach and bumrushing them will usually just get you stabbed for your troubles. The best bet is to push them into a corner like jester said and spam the kick key. The first one or two probably won't land, but once one does, they're screwed.

The ideal time to practice is during an ambush in a town at night; you'll have heavy armour, they... don't. Plus there's a certain comedy to a group of bandits trying to jump a guy, only to all slowly succumb to being repeatedly booted in the nuts.

It's worth noting a kick is easy to stunlock someone with, but if they're wearing even half-way decent armor, your kicks will never hurt them. It's amusing though.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: December 29, 2012, 02:03:31 am »

Heh, I always just punch out bandits and belligerent drunks. Kicking them silly sounds fun, though.

I remember once punching a horse to death in a tournament. That was neat, but I'm guessing kicks don't work on horses.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: December 29, 2012, 03:35:12 am »

Is it really feasible, at all, to use just punches and kicks in this game?  Maybe by wearing the best armor, or being faster than all your opponents? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: December 29, 2012, 03:50:39 am »

Is it really feasible, at all, to use just punches and kicks in this game?  Maybe by wearing the best armor, or being faster than all your opponents? 
Not really, kicks are slow and have horrible hit boxes, they're generally meant in MP against players who hide behind shields and even then it's a very risky maneuver. You can stand right in front of someone and try it, but if they're moving even slightly you'll miss and get wrecked.

Punches have terrible reach and are very slow (As they don't benefit from any skill). Most of the time your punches will bounce off even looters due to a -70 speed malus even when running right at them.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: December 29, 2012, 03:56:04 am »

Also worth mentioning that a long sword will cut your leg and arm to pieces

Running toward an enemy for the speed bonus, unarmed, charging a punch; what could possibly go wrong?  :P

Maybe in single player it could work, if you dump everything in agility and plan to fight your first encounters naked and running, a lot, around enemies.

Take a shield on your back, or even pebble throwers will laugh at you, at best.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: December 29, 2012, 04:04:31 am »

IIRC punches and kicks do get stronger with your skills.

If you cheat and max out your stats you can 1 hit KO almost anyone with a punch or a kick. I only remember this because I got so frustrated at a super long siege that after I lost that one battle. I retreated, cheated to max, went back in and punched everyone to death.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: December 29, 2012, 04:10:39 am »

I am amused at how well this game handles cheating.

It doesn't break, it doesn't cap, it just let you be.

Catching up with horse raiders, dodging arrows and killing them with a dagger, never gets old.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 310