Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657321 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2715 on: December 07, 2012, 04:08:00 pm »

I believe that it scales with time, not with level. As the AI fights in battles they gain renown. But This is just a guess.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 07, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »

Nope it scales by level. If you cheat yourself to level 50 or something early you'll notice bandits everywhere forming doomstacks. Level scaling doesn't really make sense to me in Mount and Blade and it would make more sense if things got more powerful over time rather than level.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 07, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

What?! So I will never have the biggest army in the game?'

Someone mod this now.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 07, 2012, 04:25:12 pm »

You know, I wonder why I haven't ever seen a M&B mod to play as Saber. Though I guess trying to find a way to do that could be tricky... how could you use Excalibur!?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:07 pm »

What? I can only assume you're mocking Lordcooper.
As mentioned before there are some mods that introduce more RTS elements so he was right to ask. There's also the "Commander" multiplayer gamemodes introduced in "With Fire and Sword" and "Napoleonic Wars" which has a bigger focus on unit tactics.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 07, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »

Someone mod this now.
You can mod lord and bandit party size fairly easily using TweakMB (Though the option isn't available on some mods).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:36 pm »

Someone mod this now.
You can mod lord and bandit party size fairly easily using TweakMB (Though the option isn't available on some mods).

Nope, I want it naturally. All lords get stronger based on time/battles fought.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: December 07, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »

I'm fairly certain bandit party level scaling is hardcoded (Though reducing their max troops will also reduce their ratio accordingly). As for lords you can disable the level scaling (Default 1.11% more troops for each of your levels) and increase the amount of troops they get via renown (Defaults at 1 more troop for every 25 renown).

You'll have to edit the scripts.txt file manually to do so though.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 08, 2012, 01:57:33 am »

Freelancer is awesome enough that it's been embedded in a growing number of the larger mods, like Brytenwalda and Floris.

Freelancing can be a double-edged sword though. It lets you level up and gain good equipment (and keep it under certain conditions), but it also means that when you leave the army you'll be a high-level character without a warband in a world that scales its difficulty against your level, plus the diplomatic map might have changed significantly.

I served in my dear friend Count Trimbau's army for the period of one year (20 hours :P), and left at ~level 20. While I had noticed roving groups of hardy mountains bandits in the 20s-40s, they didn't cause me much trouble; I used my savings to purchase the service of a few intrepid mercenaries, and went about gathering a few recruits. Frankly, I could probably handle at least a dozen single-handedly on average difficulty without a horse of my own. Bandits are generally puny and go down easily once you have a ranged skill at 150+. One of the huge advantages to Freelancer is that you wind wind up with disproportionately high weapon skills from the constant hack-n-slash, with none of the time consuming drawbacks that come with maintaining or losing your own men (recruiting, scratching together money through long and tedious quests, etc.).

As for the local lords- I've found that that the majority of them have 30-80 some men per band, the exception being Kings and Marshals with their ~150 men warbands. From what I can tell, numbers have mostly stayed the same as they were when the game... if anything, I'd say they've decreased for some lords, on account of the constant fighting. Currently, I'm marching about with my army of 70 men, and find that we can usually topple any group no more than 100 strong, and quality over quantity seems to be a good rule of thumb- my sharpshooters, sergeants, and knights make quick work of footman, light cavalry, and skirmishers that are the staple of most armies.

The one things I have noticed and loathe, is the rate and number of times with which lords defect, which is, in my opinion, absurd on so many grounds, game-breaking, and not to mention annoying to encounter when you've stuck with a single faction the entire game only to to find yourself competing for fiefs with some random fat-head from an irreconcilably "barbaric" culture who will probably defect again at the end of the month. At least in Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which suffered from this like the plague, you had to option of executing turn-coats.  ::)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 08, 2012, 06:35:14 am »

I'm fairly certain bandit party level scaling is hardcoded (Though reducing their max troops will also reduce their ratio accordingly). As for lords you can disable the level scaling (Default 1.11% more troops for each of your levels) and increase the amount of troops they get via renown (Defaults at 1 more troop for every 25 renown).

Only tenuously related, but I've a funny story relating to level scaling! In one of my less serious games I found out there was a Level-Up cheat that would instantly put you to the next level, unlike the cheat that just gave you a thousand experience. Anyway, I kept levelling myself up, but once I hit level 60-something the next time I cheated myself even higher my level spazzed out to something in the millions range. Then I made the mistake of going to a village infested by bandits, only for there to be about 305978128 bandits just lolly-gaggin' about. Since attacking bandits in villages forces all troops into battle at once without any reinforcement waves to have troops trickle in, it promptly crashed the game.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 08, 2012, 10:04:10 am »

so keeping the same stats from getting the game was a bad idea.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: December 08, 2012, 11:45:28 am »

Only tenuously related, but I've a funny story relating to level scaling! In one of my less serious games I found out there was a Level-Up cheat that would instantly put you to the next level, unlike the cheat that just gave you a thousand experience. Anyway, I kept levelling myself up, but once I hit level 60-something the next time I cheated myself even higher my level spazzed out to something in the millions range. Then I made the mistake of going to a village infested by bandits, only for there to be about 305978128 bandits just lolly-gaggin' about. Since attacking bandits in villages forces all troops into battle at once without any reinforcement waves to have troops trickle in, it promptly crashed the game.

I have never had this happen before at all, and I do that fairly regularly.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »

Yeah, Mount and Blade only supports a level number as high as 63. If you somehow hit 64, it'll spaz out and go to like 65,000+ something. This can make a hilarious game where suddenly everything has armies in the tens of thousands!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 08, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »

64, you say? As in, a power of 2? Wonder if some coder forget to take precautions against a bit being carried over...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 09, 2012, 12:38:13 pm »

64, you say? As in, a power of 2? Wonder if some coder forget to take precautions against a bit being carried over...

Yeah it's something like that. They just never figured you could ever get THAT high level in this game. Especially as normally after around... 2? Years in-game, you start to lose stats.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 310