Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657356 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2775 on: February 13, 2013, 12:47:47 am »

What mod are you playing? I know that brytenwalda got rid of the horseback archery skill, which really screws with my traditional build. Nothing like riding and shooting at the same time.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: February 13, 2013, 12:51:08 am »

Prophesy of Pendor 3.51
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:37 am »

Ive managed to take over pendor before, but not finished it completely, few things id say:

Dont bother filling up your castles with top tier troops, they are just a cash drain, you want castles full of cheap units.  The top tier pendor archers are good for this.  Knights orders are also freaking awesome, knights of the ebony gauntlets being best imo (tank superxbow men with big hammers).  Cash problems can be helped by taking some blunt weapons with you every fight and picking off nice expensive troops with them as prisoners, also starting with looting of 6 makes the game alot easier.

If your max army is only 160, you are probably in trouble, you want to have as high charisma and leadership as possible or things will be hard. 

I played my first game and started a kingdom, stuggled for lords for a while before I realised you need good relations (27+) with alot of lords before you go solo, then if you capture them they will come over to your side if you talk to them.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:39 am »

So, brytenwalda or Prophesy of Pendor, which is better? Not feeling too hot about the things in brytenwalda which make the game harder for only you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: February 13, 2013, 02:14:46 am »

I had several Ravenstern lords marked as my friends, a few with relations in the mid-20s, before I struck out on my own.  I thought that would be enough to get started, but I guess not.  I'm trying to further build up relations with old friends by releasing them after defeat.

It looks like I'm just going to have some hard fighting ahead to de-moralize a couple factions until people start defecting.  Of course, I doubt anyone will defect until I have some fiefs to give away.

Which is what the expensive infantry are for.  I'm going to need all top-tier troops if I'm going to take on any of the castles around, which all have garrisons over 300.  The auto-calculator doesn't account for quality of troops very well, but I should also be able to put up a hell of a fight if I actually participate in a defense, which is really important for me right now.  I'll cheapen up when I've captured more lands.

I take lots of loot and prisoners, but the nearest city I can safely enter is too far away.  I can only make a trip after I've just beaten off a major offensive, and only just barely make it back to deal with the next one.  I'm subsisting on ransoming Sarleon for all it's worth right now.

But this hardship is bolstering my strength quite drastically.  I have a very strong core group with me.  Several hero adventurers and other good cavalry.  I can take on armies about 50 units larger than me.  I go ahead and take out their toughest units and then tell mine to charge while I distract as many as possible.  The enemy just melts, and I only lose a few people.  It helps that Ansen has a surgery skill of 11.  He seems able to save about 90% of any wounded troops.

And it seems like I can persist more or less indefinitely due to my location, with the Jatu immediately to the north as a deterrent to Ravenstern and the Noldor occasionally patrolling nearby from the east.  If Ravenstern would make peace, funds would also cease to be a problem.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: February 13, 2013, 02:49:56 am »

So, brytenwalda or Prophesy of Pendor, which is better? Not feeling too hot about the things in brytenwalda which make the game harder for only you.
There's some kind of mini-mod for brytenwalda by a member of this forum which helped a lot with stuff like that IIRC. There's also plenty you can toggle off.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:20 pm »

I was thinking of picking this game up, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me about this game, primarily:
Does this game require above-average specs?
What do game play features consist of?
Is the combat unique and fun?
Anything else to convince me?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: February 13, 2013, 08:51:16 pm »

It has the best melee combat of any first/third person game I've played.  It's a very wide open sandbox game.  It's also incredibly unpolished.  Do medieval trading, politics, adventuring, and conquering.

I think I'll have to hold off on resurrecting the kingdom of Pendor.  Going to offer my vassalage to Ravenstern :(
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:20 pm »

I can't really agree to it having the best combat among similar games of its kind.
I mean, infantry combat is nearly impossible.
I am not criticising the game because 1 vs multiple is not possible in infantry combat, in fact, I like it.
The sole problem is that the A.I. behavior is so strange that in most cases they all like to snowball together and form a huuuuuuuge pile of men with little to no room to even swing your weapon.
You just nudge and push each other until someone dies.

So yes, anything other than ranged / mounted combat gets VERY gimmicky due to this problem.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:40 pm »

Does this game require above-average specs?
There is a Direct-X 7 mode if that's any indication.

You can download the full game off their site, and playing it without a key is like playing a trial version with no multiplayer and a level cap of 7 (I think?). Buying a serial key simply unlocks the rest of the game's features... so there's no real harm in trying it out.

EDIT: foot combat in multiplayer is fine though, especially with friendly fire enabled. The problem with AI is that their tactic is to facehug you regardless of their weapon's reach, and since their swings will not harm allies they can just swing madly to maximum effect. Even if you kill one guy, the guy behind him already in mid-swing is going to get you anyways.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:58:04 pm by OzyTheSage »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:49 pm »

I agree that the infantry AI in mass combat is really bizarre.  I hope that's something they improve on in the sequel.  While I try to avoid those situations, you CAN take on larger numbers of infantry by yourself if your armor is high enough above their damage.

Melee combat vs 1 or 2 opponents is really awesome, though, especially in multiplayer.  The AI is an issue, but the actual combat mechanics are great.

It might be worth it at this point to wait for some announcement regarding the state of development for the sequel.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: February 13, 2013, 10:48:53 pm »

There's some kind of mini-mod for brytenwalda by a member of this forum which helped a lot with stuff like that IIRC. There's also plenty you can toggle off.
One thing to note about Brytenwalda is that it is one of the few mods that feature numerous small factions.  Even though some of them will be gone by the time you try to take over the world, you'll still face much smaller nations than in other mods.  Taking that into consideration, it isn't as hard at it might seem at first.

Of course, Pendor has a few things which can definitely give you an advantage versus the established kingdoms.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:25 am »

Smaller (and numerous) factions is a challenge to play, because politics is then much more important than in other mods. If you don't manage politics well, you will be attacked by everyone AND everywhere. With bigger factions, it's easier to manage, because you just have to maintain good relationships with neighbor. And even if you are attacked, you just have to beat one big army and it's over. With smaller factions, all the AI groups act on their own, and you can be attacked with 5 different small groups, which is quite a pain, considering the size of the map and the slowness of your army (especially if you have to rest and if you are mainly composed of infantry, which is generally the case unless you are billionnaire)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: February 14, 2013, 04:31:31 am »

What convinced me to purchase the game is downloading it on Taleworlds own website :
http://www.taleworlds.com/features.aspx?type=2

It is used as a demo (in which you're limited to reaching level 7) as long as you don't activate it.
It's enough to see if this is the kind of game you'll enjoy.

I have no interest in multiplayer personnaly, but the single player campaign of Warband is really fun and very very replayable, even without mods .
Once you have explored all what Native can offer, mods will still keep your interest in the game for more years.

note : playing in DirectX7 mode will make you lose some nice visual effect, but the gain of performance is very noticable and you'll then be able to increase the battle size much more (and that's something that is so fun that it is well worth renouncing to the DirectX9 mode visuals)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:35:28 am by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: February 14, 2013, 07:25:10 am »

Smaller (and numerous) factions is a challenge to play, because politics is then much more important than in other mods. If you don't manage politics well, you will be attacked by everyone AND everywhere. With bigger factions, it's easier to manage, because you just have to maintain good relationships with neighbor. And even if you are attacked, you just have to beat one big army and it's over. With smaller factions, all the AI groups act on their own, and you can be attacked with 5 different small groups, which is quite a pain, considering the size of the map and the slowness of your army (especially if you have to rest and if you are mainly composed of infantry, which is generally the case unless you are billionnaire)

I happen to like politics, and I prefer beating 5 smaller groups to one megastack of doom.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 310