Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I need to punish this dwarf  (Read 4902 times)

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
Re: I need to punish this dwarf
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 12:28:53 am »

As far as punishment goes, I would catch some turtles and assign them to a cage with a lever linked to it, in an arena.  Draft Turtle and station him in the arena.  Save and quit, and mod the turtle entry to make them size 2 normal critters, with a normal bite attack, and [liKES_FIGHTING].  Reopen the game, lock the arena door, and pull the lever.  After the fight is over, mod them back into harmless vermin.  I think that will work.

If he dies, he gets a turtle-shaped tomb.  If he lives, he stays in the military as a wrestler and is outfitted with turtle shell armor (made from the slain turtles from the arena), and is sent out first to deal with the next siege.  And then the turtle-shaped tomb.

If he survives that, he's clearly redeemed himself by sheer awesomeness.

This.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 01:32:37 am »

How about this (incorporating some other ideas here):

You have a walled-off section of lake where there are some turtles breeding. Have a long path to a place with a craftsdwarf's workshop and fishery. Trap the path with spikes that are all linked to a lever in the main fortress. Force Turtle to catch turtles to eat (sustainably harvesting them; this means starving him if the turtles get too low). He has to drink from the lake, too. And he should craft turtle shell armor from the turtles he catches. Every year or so (with a few years for him to get a head start), have someone pull the lever and impale him as he walks through the path. He will be forced to catch turtles and starve himself if he wants to live, and craft as good armor as he can get if he doesn't want to be impaled. Have a small channel where he can dump his old armor, and thus be useful. If he is impaled and injured to the point where he cannot work, make a 1-wide floor over the lake, build a bed on it, have someone enter and drag him into the bed, and deconstruct a floor on the path. He will drown in the lake that gave him life. Once he dies (through drowning, impalation or whatnot), recover his body if necessary, then bury him in a Royal tomb with as much turtle bone/shell decoration as possible (make sure to put all his creations in there; possibly have him produce some sort of turtle-bone studded things to decorate it).

+1 for this.

It seems to me that he needs incurable brain or spinal damage.

I'm going to challenge myself to use sentence this in a conversation in real life.

I approve this message.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:02 am »

I prefer the whole "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MONTRESOR!" bit as punishment, but that's me.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 06:16:40 pm »

Quick update...

Turtle had a secretive mood, and ended up crafting a piece of rather lame armor...but he is now my "chief armorsmith" on account of being the only legendary armorer. I replaced all of my military's armor with top-quality stuff, and I have to say, my anger has subsided...a bit.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 06:24:47 pm »

hah, turtle now makes armor so your military can wear shells just like turtles!!!
Nom nom nom

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2010, 06:31:05 pm »

How long has it been since you first took notice of him?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010, 10:37:03 pm »

Turtle shall now forge the greatest turtle plate armor on the planet.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010, 10:44:05 pm »

Turtle had a secretive mood, and ended up crafting a piece of rather lame armor...but he is now my "chief armorsmith" on account of being the only legendary armorer. I replaced all of my military's armor with top-quality stuff, and I have to say, my anger has subsided...a bit.
Lucky, lucky dwarf.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 10:48:07 pm »

Idea! Have an immigrant wave socialize with him, one by one, and then force him to armor for each one. Have them run around and have him spike them some predetermined number of times - if he fails to craft good armor, he is forced to mass murder his dearest friends. Even if he crafts masterwork, he impales them repeatedly, and probably has to care for all of them; then if he doesn't care well enough, they die.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 02:40:21 am »

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but turtle shell armor uses the bonecarving skill, not armorer. Also, only vermin drop shells, so modding turtles to be a size larger makes them only drop bones.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2010, 11:14:25 am »

It was turtle armor in the figuaritive sense, he's still making it out of metal, it's just like a "shell" for dwarves. 
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »

You can't stretch it much farther than that Kilakin.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »

This topic has truly shown that we are far worse than the nobles we so loathe.  When a noble is dissatisfied, they punish a random usually-innocent Dwarf with prison time or a swift death.  When we are dissatisfied, we severely punish one or more almost-always-innocent Dwarves with a horribly prolonged and painful death or a lifetime of suffering, and the victim is lucky if he is the only one who suffers.  Even worse, our mandates are the ones that get "violated" the most often, meaning we do the most arbitrary punishing.

We're more than just Armok.  We are the most demanding and vindictive nobles of the lot on top of all that.
Sanity is for the weak.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2010, 11:32:25 pm »

When a noble is dissatisfied, they punish a random usually-innocent Dwarf with prison time or a swift death.  When we are dissatisfied, we severely punish one or more almost-always-innocent Dwarves with a horribly prolonged and painful death or a lifetime of suffering, and the victim is lucky if he is the only one who suffers.

While that is true, at least we provide the service of managing all the dwarves so that they don't all die. Take the player away from (almost) any fortress, and it will crumble. Take the nobles away from the fortress and it works just fine.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2010, 11:35:38 pm »

While that is true, at least we provide the service of managing all the dwarves so that they don't all die. Take the player away from (almost) any fortress, and it will crumble. Take the nobles away from the fortress and it works just fine.

At least when the player is watching the fort.  Forts made during worldgen survive just fine without our ever-present gaze.  It is only when we force them to build a fortress that Dwarves suddenly need us to guide them.
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5