Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817121 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #645 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:10 pm »

It's also worth remembering that, besides the resolution requirement and desktop-affecting bugs, this is more or less what DF was initially like at first public release.

Did it require to download and install seven zip and exe files and write anything to system32? I don't consider it very burdensome, but it's a warning sign.

And there are work-arounds to get it working at a less than optimal monitor. Is your monitor CRT or LCD? What's its maximum/native resolution?

LCD matrix for Dell D610. It supports two resolutions: 800x600 and 1024x768, nothing more.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 17, 2010, 06:24:51 pm »

LCD matrix for Dell D610. It supports two resolutions: 800x600 and 1024x768, nothing more.
So forcing it into a higher resolution gives you static or just makes it too difficult/pixelated to read?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 17, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »

i've got precourseers one hop from sol. they are badass.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:47 pm »

Are precursors the aliens who haven't gone to space?

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 17, 2010, 06:42:42 pm »

Are precursors the aliens who haven't gone to space?

They're the super advanced civilization that was wiped out centuries age with only a few ships surviving, waiting for orders that never come...

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:54 pm »

So forcing it into a higher resolution gives you static or just makes it too difficult/pixelated to read?

It's either unsupported by the GPU, or locked by a device driver. It's another pain in the ass - those laptops don't use standard Intel drivers. They work with version modified by Dell.

So far I have seen two differences. The first is inability to set screen resolution into a mode unsupported by laptop's matrix if a monitor isn't currently plugged. The second one is inability to actualize the device driver with the one from Intel's site.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:46 pm »

It's either unsupported by the GPU, or locked by a device driver. It's another pain in the ass - those laptops don't use standard Intel drivers. They work with version modified by Dell.

So far I have seen two differences. The first is inability to set screen resolution into a mode unsupported by laptop's matrix if a monitor isn't currently plugged. The second one is inability to actualize the device driver with the one from Intel's site.
So I take it you have tried going into desktop properties/Advanced/Monitor and unchecking "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"?

There's also a method of changing resolution using some display driver control panel. Try looking around in those.

If neither of those work, then I dunno. I've never had an OS forbid me from going into an overly high resolution, even if I was using a CRT monitor and confirming this new resolution meant I had to stumble back into desktop properties completely blind. :S

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 17, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »

So I take it you have tried going into desktop properties/Advanced/Monitor and unchecking "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"?

Ah. Wait. I am an idiot.

Actually it does let me set higher resolutions then. It doesn't even try to fit it, it just lets me scroll the screen. Which solves the problem entirely.

Thanks!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 17, 2010, 07:41:16 pm »

I'm totally getting into this.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 17, 2010, 07:45:55 pm »

Battleing is hard.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 17, 2010, 08:38:41 pm »

The game is great, if anyone is still looking for opinions about it.

By the way, I'm REALLY trying to play, but I'm not getting much progress today due to RL things..
But feel free to ask questions and talk about your experiences in-game.

This is one of the first games that makes me curious about what people did, thought and feel while playing, and I also find cool to write about what I did.

Gotta go again, damn

--
EDIT:
Hey guys, this is my first military vessel. I did a conventional start and all so I'm not really full of tech nor minerals (and I REALLY WANT to get out of Sol soon), but I'd like some opinions about this design:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actually it's a military vessel for long-range, long duration operations and patrol..is there a way to change the description?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:41:33 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 17, 2010, 08:44:26 pm »

Yea tell me about it, you have to set all your targeting controls manually.  And then set their targets manually, and during all this when one target ceases to be you have to retarget manually or that particular targeting computer does nothing but spam errors in the eventlog.  Not to mention that after setting new targets it takes a few seconds based on the crew skill to ready the weapons (I guess lining up the targets and the time it takes for the crew to enter the targeting data).

And then there's the special design stuff you need to know.  Like making sure your reactor has enough output to power all your lasers or your ships have big enough magasines to load all your custom made from scratch missiles of the correct size for your launcher.  And then after all that you need to make sure your targeting computers are close to the capabilities of your weapons.  Hell I still don't know how much power a laser system needs from looking at the ship design, and I havent even touched microwave, meson, gauss or torpedo technology yet.

@Gabeux That looks pretty nice, I wish my ships were that well thought out.  The only thing my limited knowlege looks odd to me is the Near Ultraviolet point defense lasers.  If I'm reading your design correctly you could probably use a lower tech laser wavelength for your point defense (Like visible light or something) I'm not sure if it would make the system cost less or anything, but 80000km range on a laser that only has fire control out to 20000km seems a bit overkill.

As for changing what the ship says it's type is, in the design screen there should be a dropdown for Hull type.  It says criuser currently on your design.  It has probably about 50 hull types and you can probably find what you are looking for.  And even if you don't you can create your own by Hitting the "New Hull" button down on the bottom, typing in what you want to name the ship type and then put in what you want as the Short couple letter thing that goes infront of the name.  For example one of my laser destroyers is DD Boa. DD stands for destroyer.  But if I wanted to I could create e new hull type "Laser Destroyer" and give it the Abbreviation "LsrDD" and it would then be called "LsrDD Boa"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:55:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 17, 2010, 08:48:07 pm »

By the way, I'm REALLY trying to play, but I'm not getting much progress today due to RL things..

This is one of the first games that makes me curious about what people did, thought and feel while playing, and I also find cool to write about what I did.

Gotta go again, damn

--
EDIT:
Hey guys, this is my first military vessel. I did a conventional start and all so I'm not really full of tech nor minerals (and I REALLY WANT to get out of Sol soon), but I'd like some opinions about this design:

Actually it's a military vessel for long-range, long duration operations and patrol..is there a way to change the description?

That seems pretty good for the tech level. I really like it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 17, 2010, 09:01:38 pm »

Gotta go again, damn

--
EDIT:

Looks good, just a few things though: I would drop the shields and rely on armor; low tech shields aren't very efficient for their space and cost. Also those tracking sensors could use a little tweaking: your turrets have some really nice range and it might be a good idea to put some more range on the corresponding tracking sensor to take advantage of that since your active sensor should get the missiles further out and with a rof of 5 you may be able to get an extra shot off with more range. I would also put some extra range on the tracking sensor for your anti-ship lasers; currently the ranges sync up perfectly, but your tracking sensor actually needs some extra time of its own to get a lock before your lasers can fire so that extra range on the sensor will take better advantage of your laser range.

Overall though its a great design.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 17, 2010, 09:04:48 pm »

^ See? Shows my limited knowledge, I didn't even consider the possibility of making the point defense system capable of matching the laser, I was thinking of making the laser match the Point Defense Computer
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 1347