Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816938 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2010, 11:41:07 am »

The law of motions and the relativity don't apply for the universe, as the ship make use of elements that are called trans newtonian. Which facilite their FTL everything. This is the why I take that rail guns just kinda of suck, even though the dense pellets are probably traveling at similar or great velocity.
What I got out of the backstory physics bits were that the materials treat space as a fluid, thus have friction even in a vacuum. As a result, propulsion in a vacuum becomes easy, but the engine has to keep working to make it keep moving. Which really makes me wonder why the hulls aren't built out of conventional materials, with just giant steamboat rollers made of duranium (not feasible, if you think about it, but it's a humorous image nonetheless) or something. Therefore: bite in a vacuum to provide propulsion, but minimal drag.

Still, a projectile, even one as small as a few kilos, traveling at those speeds would be devastating against most objects, but then the armor of ships is probably made to be able to withstand that, since just orbiting a planet you'd probably get much nastier debris traveling as fast or faster, not to mention when something's shooting at you. Even an armored missile, on the other hand, would be thrown around by those forces, and it's payload may even detonate. An unarmored one would be shredded. (The largest missiles are only a few tons, after all.)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »

I have a giant TV that I use as a monitor that only goes up to 1376 by 768 so I can't play, but FFS, has anyone started a "Lets Play" or blog about their adventures in this game?

Or a succession game? I want to hear about the stories man, the stories!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 18, 2010, 02:12:33 pm »

That's the sort of question that you should check the Play With Your Buddies sub-forum before asking.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 18, 2010, 02:56:34 pm »

Man I got 2 Emergency Crews (fleet with two jump-capable SupplyShip and a Tanker), each in a different system to provide support for Geo and Grav Survey Ships.

I need to watch my research and it's queue (which is huge right now).
Also need to watch my industry on Terra, the Terraforming efforts on Mars, colonization/infraestructure on 4 planets on Sol, and now I am desperate in need for more mineral and fuel production otherwise I'll break in 40 years or less.

There's so much do look after on each turn, that I even fear of forgetting one thing unattended.
Also, my officers are dying or retiring and I need to replace them and award everyone otherwise they don't get promoted (Realistic Promotions), and my ships will fly around without commanders (no prob, but no bonus either).

It's so crazy, and I love it.

--
EDIT: Oh yeah. I'm also building a Gate Builder ship, will take like 3 years without enough mineral production...but will be worth it.
Don't you guys make the same mistake as me, and make Gate Building ships Military..they have 1500%+ annual failure chance, and they can blow up when a failure happens.

EDIT2: Before anything happens, lifepods..how do you rescue them?
Need a specific compenent, or you just need to order any ship to rescue them?

I have a jump-ship that I use for supportive role of jumping obsolete survey ships in and out of sectors, but it gets idle for many years...maybe I could use it for rescue ops, since it's light and quick.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:04:09 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 18, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »

Above fleet orders, check lifepods and then rescue survivors with a ship, then offload them at a colony.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 18, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

The law of motions and the relativity don't apply for the universe, as the ship make use of elements that are called trans newtonian. Which facilite their FTL everything. This is the why I take that rail guns just kinda of suck, even though the dense pellets are probably traveling at similar or great velocity.
What I got out of the backstory physics bits were that the materials treat space as a fluid, thus have friction even in a vacuum. As a result, propulsion in a vacuum becomes easy, but the engine has to keep working to make it keep moving. Which really makes me wonder why the hulls aren't built out of conventional materials, with just giant steamboat rollers made of duranium (not feasible, if you think about it, but it's a humorous image nonetheless) or something. Therefore: bite in a vacuum to provide propulsion, but minimal drag.

Still, a projectile, even one as small as a few kilos, traveling at those speeds would be devastating against most objects, but then the armor of ships is probably made to be able to withstand that, since just orbiting a planet you'd probably get much nastier debris traveling as fast or faster, not to mention when something's shooting at you. Even an armored missile, on the other hand, would be thrown around by those forces, and it's payload may even detonate. An unarmored one would be shredded. (The largest missiles are only a few tons, after all.)

I can see that, maybe when he adding Newtonian physics we'll get ramming and ship to ship boarding, and missiles that damage the ship regardless of warhead size if they hit.

So I am in my second game, as my survey ships were doing weird things, and I named one ship with to many characters, causing plethora of errors each time they tried to do something.

So the inner solar system is done being surveyed, and I was getting peeved as I thought the ships were ignoring mars for a geo survey. Then I find out that mars has no /no/ mineral, and no ruins. From reading the other games, I thought mars was a shoe in for ruins and some minerals. Should I send a geo team on the planet?

However titan, has 7 mineral deposits three of them being at 1 and most of them being over a mil. Now to build some automated mines, as it has a 7 colony cost.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:26:59 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 18, 2010, 05:00:38 pm »

So the inner solar system is done being surveyed, and I was getting peeved as I thought the ships were ignoring mars for a geo survey. Then I find out that mars has no /no/ mineral, and no ruins. From reading the other games, I thought mars was a shoe in for ruins and some minerals. Should I send a geo team on the planet?

In all my games Mars didn't have any deposits, in this one he got like 3..I was hoping for more, but better than nothing.

Also, weren't Mars the planet were you find a Jump Engine, and then you can go around the stars selling Spice of all colours, and doing many boring missions?
Ops, wrong game!  ;D

I'm gonna start building Mining, Terraforming and Gate Building ships now.
It's taking a load of time due to low mineral production, but I gotta leave Sol @_@
Already surveyed some systems, and by now I have access to 10 systems...no contacts yet, but there may be some aliens somewhere around...my REAL obsolete survey ships just got active sensors - no passive - and I leave them OFF...so..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 18, 2010, 05:11:07 pm »

...ship to ship boarding...
There is boarding.
This replaces the existing combat vs PDCs and adds the ability to board disabled or slow-moving ships. A new "Attempt Boarding Action" order has been added which can be used against sensor contacts. You select the ground units involved just as if you were making a combat drop. At the moment you can only board ships and PDCs. I will probably add shipyards in the future once I figure out how to have defensive forces for that situation. When the fleet intercepts the target, a boarding attempt is carried out. Actually docking with a target that is evading is virtually impossible so the assault involves using a combat drop module to fire the troopers at the enemy ship. They land on the hull, lock themselves in place and either enter through holes in the armour or blast their way in.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 18, 2010, 05:15:54 pm »

Above fleet orders, check lifepods and then rescue survivors with a ship, then offload them at a colony.

Oh I missed this post, thanks man :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 18, 2010, 05:17:55 pm »

There is boarding.
This replaces the existing combat vs PDCs and adds the ability to board disabled or slow-moving ships. A new "Attempt Boarding Action" order has been added which can be used against sensor contacts. You select the ground units involved just as if you were making a combat drop. At the moment you can only board ships and PDCs. I will probably add shipyards in the future once I figure out how to have defensive forces for that situation. When the fleet intercepts the target, a boarding attempt is carried out. Actually docking with a target that is evading is virtually impossible so the assault involves using a combat drop module to fire the troopers at the enemy ship. They land on the hull, lock themselves in place and either enter through holes in the armour or blast their way in.

I've read that, its suicidal , his test one he shared had an 80% causality rate just landing on it.

I was speaking to a a breaching ship, be on that rams into the ship to breach (and be unrecoverable), or one that latches and then breaches. I like the latter one, as I can see covert or mid combat sabotaging of ships.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:35 pm »

There is boarding.

I've read that, its suicidal , his test one he shared had an 80% causality rate just landing on it.

I was speaking to a a breaching ship, be on that rams into the ship to breach (and be unrecoverable), or one that latches and then breaches. I like the latter one, as I can see covert or mid combat sabotaging of ships.

Although its not exactly the ship doing it, drop pods do exactly that. You launch them at the hull, they latch on and the marines inside plant explosives to create a hole in the armor through which they invade. This can all be done during combat; my favorite method is to have a carrier with fighters armed with drop pods. The fighters fly out at high speeds and once they reach the ship they launch their drop pods at the ship in target; this method greatly reduces casualties as well because the fighters can move at a high enough speeds that the drop pods have a high chance of hitting successfully.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 18, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »

Mars actually always has mineral deposits in every game, because survey ships can fail to detect minerals when surveying and say that the planet has 'no minerals', when it really does.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 18, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »

The game gets very slow later it seems.  Constant sensor contacts with civilian ships causing time interrupts, colonies running out of materiel, general empire wide materiel shortages, scout and survey ships reporting low fuel or changes in orders to automatically refuel, random ships breaking down, shipyard expansions... And then there's keeping track of what system leads where, and remembering where that geo survey ship was surveying before it came back to a colony for a refuel, and the route to get it back there, setting up fire control on new or refit combat ships... It's an interface nightmare.

Yet, I can't stop playing :D
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 18, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »

annoyingly survey teams can be landed anywhere, but only do actual work on populated worlds for some reason.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 18, 2010, 08:42:08 pm »

annoyingly survey teams can be landed anywhere, but only do actual work on populated worlds for some reason.

Are you sure? Because I have succesfully surveyed several mining colonies and even some undessignated, empty collonies.

Also; Whoo! Made Mars completely habitable. Now on to the other possible colonies.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1347