Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817051 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #660 on: January 17, 2010, 09:06:50 pm »

Okay... Now to install the game...
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:39 pm »

^ See? Shows my limited knowledge, I didn't even consider the possibility of making the point defense system capable of matching the laser, I was thinking of making the laser match the Point Defense Computer

Regardless, you're actually doing very well. You got all the components there, enough power, good sensors, and all at a reasonable cost.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 17, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »

Okay, do I need the 4.8 then go 4.82 or can I go straight to 4.82?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 17, 2010, 10:58:45 pm »

Wiggles I don't know...
I believe you need to install as it says on the wiki.
Then download 4.8 and 4.82.

And thanks guys for the feedback :D
I didn't understand though, Magnnus:
I would also put some extra range on the tracking sensor for your anti-ship lasers; currently the ranges sync up perfectly, but your tracking sensor actually needs some extra time of its own to get a lock before your lasers can fire so that extra range on the sensor will take better advantage of your laser range.

It's the Active Sensor or Fire Control that needs more range?
Also, I just noticed that I really forgot to check Ranges when I designed the components.
I was worried with Tracking Speed so I didn't even bother to learn about Range etc.. :-[
At least I got some time before I start building this guy, so it'll be really quick to make the changes.

--
EDIT:
BTW Civilians are pissing me off.
They are transporting more people than my colonies can support (got 5 tiny colonies on Sol, biggest is Mars with 3m pop), unrest is increasing..
Even if the unrest is really low, less than 5%, it's annoying.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:09:06 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:28 pm »

I would let him answer but since the forum says he's offline and in the spirit of a quick answer:

Looks to me he's talking about the range for the Fire Control S04 10-8000 PDS the laser can shoot out to 80000 km but the fire control can only handle out to 20000 meaning the point defence probably only works at about 1/4th the laser's actual maximum range.  You could increase the fire control range to the laser's max range and your point turrets may be able to take more shots at incoming missiles because they can start shooting when the missile is still 80000 kms out instead of having to wait til they are 20000 km away.  Of course that would also make yer fire control significantly larger.

Found some ruins in Minas Tirith (the big massive system that I did all the fighting in) and just one jump past it (Calimport) Theres more enemy contacts, much larger this time, 7000 tons.  Again the survey ship didn't stand a chance.  Though oddly the contact list says they are Minas Tirith aliens again.  The presence of a ruin in Minas Tirith and the lack of life pods from the destroyed ships, practically put the nail in the coffin that they were precursors. But these ones are in a different system, and despite the larger ship size, they seem to actually be using lower tech missiles.  The missiles are slower, they are fewer in number per salvo, and they have a warhead only half the power of the last group I encountered.   Do precursors have different tech levels per system?  Or are there NPRs that don't have lifepods?

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 17, 2010, 11:27:47 pm »

I would let him answer but since the forum says he's offline and in the spirit of a quick answer:

Looks to me he's talking about the range for the Fire Control S04 10-8000 PDS the laser can shoot out to 80000 km but the fire control can only handle out to 20000 meaning the point defence probably only works at about 1/4th the laser's actual maximum range.  You could increase the fire control range to the laser's max range and your point turrets may be able to take more shots at incoming missiles because they can start shooting when the missile is still 80000 kms out instead of having to wait til they are 20000 km away.  Of course that would also make yer fire control significantly larger.

Looks like I was a bit late, regardless there is more to it.

And thanks guys for the feedback :D
I didn't understand though, Magnnus:
I would also put some extra range on the tracking sensor for your anti-ship lasers; currently the ranges sync up perfectly, but your tracking sensor actually needs some extra time of its own to get a lock before your lasers can fire so that extra range on the sensor will take better advantage of your laser range.

It's the Active Sensor or Fire Control that needs more range?
Also, I just noticed that I really forgot to check Ranges when I designed the components.
I was worried with Tracking Speed so I didn't even bother to learn about Range etc.. :-[
At least I got some time before I start building this guy, so it'll be really quick to make the changes.

Sorry for being unclear; the fire control could use some more range. The range that is states means 50% efficiency (or something like that) at that range so making it higher will give you a better percent at the desired range for your lasers. In other words: you want the fire control sensor to have a higher range than your lasers max range. I guess this is to simulate the time it takes for the fire control sensor to lock on.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:30:37 pm by Magnnus »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »

Oh thanks for pointing that out Greiger, I really didn't notice the ranges hahah, I'm going to fix that now.

Also I can't comment over Precursors, I don't know anything about alien/precursor stuff.
Maybe the Lifepods blowed up with everything else? Or the last explosion was so quick/strong they could not eject?  ???

-Maggnus
Oh yeah, thanks man! :D
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »

Found some ruins in Minas Tirith (the big massive system that I did all the fighting in) and just one jump past it (Calimport) Theres more enemy contacts, much larger this time, 7000 tons.  Again the survey ship didn't stand a chance.  Though oddly the contact list says they are Minas Tirith aliens again.  The presence of a ruin in Minas Tirith and the lack of life pods from the destroyed ships, practically put the nail in the coffin that they were precursors. But these ones are in a different system, and despite the larger ship size, they seem to actually be using lower tech missiles.  The missiles are slower, they are fewer in number per salvo, and they have a warhead only half the power of the last group I encountered.   Do precursors have different tech levels per system?  Or are there NPRs that don't have lifepods?

I believe all precursors are from the same race as far as naming goes.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 17, 2010, 11:44:19 pm »

I'm revamping my Fire Controls, they'll get like 3x/4x bigger but no problem. ha!

EDIT:
Fire Control S04 40-2000 (1)    Max Range: 80,000 km   TS: 2000 km/s

Actually this one can't get more range, because my MAX RANGE tech is basic [10k], so 4x bigger/4x range will make it only 40k.
It follows the main lasers' range actually.
But the PD range will be 2x better, which hopefully will help me fighting those missiles.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:48:16 pm by Gabeux »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 18, 2010, 12:03:53 am »

I believe all precursors are from the same race as far as naming goes.

I suppose that makes sense then,  It just threw me off that these new ships are so vastly different. 7x the other one's size, with from all indications weaker missiles.  Still far and above what I can produce.  I wish I could get my 7000 ton ships going 6000 km/s and fire missiles that have size 7 explosives while maintaining a speed of 30000km/s without being as big as a fighter.

And sorry I jumped yer post there, it's getting late in the states, and since yer online status showed offline I thought ya might have gone to bed.   Like I'm about to.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:15 am »

And sorry I jumped yer post there, it's getting late in the states, and since yer online status showed offline I thought ya might have gone to bed.   Like I'm about to.

No problem... heh I'm on the Toady schedule: 4PM to 6AM.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 18, 2010, 01:10:48 am »

I just gotta say, I love the game.

I had to take the old crt off of my 2001 machine but it was totally worth it
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 18, 2010, 02:11:39 am »

Well, I've finished my first two Warships. (I researched the Fire Controls and I think I did not update them on the ship design, but whatever...they are just some test ships anyway :) )

Finally got a jump-ship. Explored all Sol's JP, found 2 suitable planets and 4 suitable moons around them. Not what I hoped for, but at least it's a start.
Also, my Gate Builder exploded randomly, so I'm going to redesign it with more maintenance supplies and a better building module.

I could not survey the other systems yet, because I need Jump Gates, or Supply and Tanker ships..that's what I'm finishing now, both options.
Also I found that I can do a lot of work in Sol yet, will start terraforming Mars, Venus and Mercury soon, then I'll colonize&mine the other systems.

Losing my GateShip really delayed me, but now I'll be even better before leaving Sol :]

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2010, 05:27:19 am »

I've mainly been playing around with missiles. Haven't actually deployed any yet, but I've been seeing just what one can pull off with whatever tech I have at the moment. Like a size six MIRV with a 20M Km range that dumps ten one warhead point missiles at 700,000 Km that move at ~25,000 Km/s. Or a size two MIRV that dumps three of those missiles and has a 2.5M Km range.

Missiles have absurdly long rang, but then, they fire slowly, are in limited supply, and have a decent chance of being shot down or even just missing outright.

Really, based on the physics involved, even if a missile had no warhead points it would still be absurdly damaging at the speeds they can reach. The latest .005 size anti-missile missiles travel at 40,000 Km/s. They weigh, at the very least, 2.5 kilos each. Meaning they have at least 100,000,000 newtons of force. That should wipe out even an armored missile, and likely even a lightly armored ship. I don't believe it does either. Though someone was claiming that you don't need warhead points to take out unarmored missiles... :/
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 18, 2010, 05:40:30 am »

I've mainly been playing around with missiles. Haven't actually deployed any yet, but I've been seeing just what one can pull off with whatever tech I have at the moment. Like a size six MIRV with a 20M Km range that dumps ten one warhead point missiles at 700,000 Km that move at ~25,000 Km/s. Or a size two MIRV that dumps three of those missiles and has a 2.5M Km range.

Missiles have absurdly long rang, but then, they fire slowly, are in limited supply, and have a decent chance of being shot down or even just missing outright.

Really, based on the physics involved, even if a missile had no warhead points it would still be absurdly damaging at the speeds they can reach. The latest .005 size anti-missile missiles travel at 40,000 Km/s. They weigh, at the very least, 2.5 kilos each. Meaning they have at least 100,000,000 newtons of force. That should wipe out even an armored missile, and likely even a lightly armored ship. I don't believe it does either. Though someone was claiming that you don't need warhead points to take out unarmored missiles... :/

The law of motions and the relativity don't apply for the universe, as the ship make use of elements that are called trans newtonian. Which facilite their FTL everything. This is the why I take that rail guns just kinda of suck, even though the dense pellets are probably traveling at similar or great velocity.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1347