Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817094 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #630 on: January 17, 2010, 11:09:25 am »

Yeah, I don't want to cheat...my tolerance is 60% gravity.
But it's ridiculous, of course we can live in Mars...that's why I'm going to change it >:(
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 17, 2010, 12:13:03 pm »

you can change the criteria for what constitutes a possible colony.
On the right of the window iirc.
:)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 17, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »

How do I design a ship, I've installed it with no problems (Viva La XP!), but the tutorials are just not organized in a nice fashion.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 17, 2010, 02:02:55 pm »

How do I design a ship, I've installed it with no problems (Viva La XP!), but the tutorials are just not organized in a nice fashion.

Assuming you're on the F3 screen (system map), it's the small ship on a pedestal right of the face. There you'll have to click New, in the lower right and then press the desing tab on the top of the big white window with a bit of text in it. Note that if you're starting a new game, you'll need to desing a new engine and research it before you can build ships that actualy go anywhere.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 17, 2010, 02:11:54 pm »

Be ready to not understand anything if you don't read any tutorials..heh

Got back to playing, changed maximum G variation to 0.65, but I don't know if that's reaaally okay.
At least I can colonize Mars/Mercury etc as I could in my old game.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 17, 2010, 03:26:34 pm »

Just won my first battle, two of my laser destroyers and a light carrier loaded with Kobold MK2s (I realized I forgot to add a reactor to the original design) vs 7 unknown targets traveling at 8000km/s.

They were originally on a mission to recover the life pods of a jump gate constructor that wandered into the system where I lost the survey ships last time.  My combat ships were the nearest and picked up the life pods, and waited nervously for the slower jump ship to get in system so they could leave (There was a jump gate to there but not on leading back.)

While waiting they got contacts and ordered them to open fire.  So far only the destroyers single small missile launchers were in range and after a few seconds of fiddling with that to get it to fire I got a steady stream of 2 missiles firing every 60 seconds of gametime.  The carrier also launched off of it's fighters, which split off into a different task group and began to charge at the contacts at a much faster rate of speed than the destroyers could.  Which were also trying to close with the contacts.

Then one big salvo of missiles struck one of the destroyers, destroying it.  None of any of the ships' point defence ever even fired.  I think I don't know how to use it properly.  My missiles were constantly missing, only a 15% chance to hit, I never expected to be firing at anything moving 8000km/sec.  But the enemy contacts were now closing as well, and my fighter squadron ran into them. ...Literally, every single one of the enemy ships tried to ram the squad lead.  And one succeeded, swatting the fighter like a fly.  Unfortunately for them however the fighter apparently managed to get swatted by something rather important, and a massive size 35 secondary explosion racked the ramming ship, blowing it to smithereens as well.

The enemy ships werent firing on the fighters at all, just flying around trying to ram them, while my fighters were peppering them with their little 12cm lasers.  When they did get lucky and hit a fighter it swatted the thing like a fly, but the ramming ship took damage from the ramming itself, and while it never resulted in the spectacular failure of the first ramming it was apparently significant damage because the fighters usually brought down the ramming ship 5 to 10 seconds later.  And now that the enemies were battling the fighters the missiles from the remaining destroyer were actually beginning to hit as well.

Casualties: 5 out of 6 fighters and 1 destroyer.  And the officers usually made it to the life pods, along with the majority of the crew.  I call that a success.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 17, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »

Has anyone managed to get the windows sized just right when using ResizeEnableRunner? I got a 1280x800 resolution (cheap medion notebook, don't ask) and tinkering with resolution switches isn't helping. The resize program does work, but I never quite manage to get the text readable and make all the buttons show up. Which is bloody annoying since it is the only thing stopping me from actually playing this game.

So, has anyone managed to hit the sweetspot regarding resizing? I would love some tips and I'm quite desperate since the other options mentioned (360°desktop and so on) don't work. My desktop computer is going to be out of action for quite some time and I do want to have a go at this game.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 17, 2010, 04:26:37 pm »

Great work Greiger, really nice!
Good luck colonizing 'your' (let's hope so) new system :]

I still haven't started playing, just adjusted the G tolerance for the human race, now I'm going to play a bit I think.

Dohon, use an unsupported resolution...at least that's what I'm doing.
360 desktop doesnt work, Resize enable didn't make me happy (it screws the windows, buttons etc)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 17, 2010, 04:34:55 pm »

If you have a larger monitor, you might be able to plug your laptop into it, assuming it has the right ports on it. That's what I'm doing, which actually works out ok.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 17, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »

Magnnus, I hate you right now. :D Slowly plowing my way through the game (after a few days making about every mistake mentioned in the thread and a few more... forgetting fire control systems or power plants; or not outfitting salvagers with cargo space...). Most recently I massively cheated in an attempt to learn how the various combat options work. I managed to accidentally extinct an NPR apart from a few lifepod survivors (and a 2m population I cheated back in), and after that tossed around 40 to 50 ships (most pretty basic designs with 3 15cm lasers and two 10cm twin laser turrets with armor level of 4 and beta shields (I think level 4), around 7900 tons; and some with 10 size 3 missile launchers shooting high-agility missiles) against what appears to be...

NOES! It..I think i might have to go for a diplomatic negotiations...

... these guys and their mother, losing all but 5 1/2 ships to various things from user errors to missiles to ramming. I get the impression that they are some kind of mini-precursors, rather a full-fledged NPR. That game was at least the second one where I stumbled upon them. Anyway I'm pretty sure I still have a lot to learn regarding combat, but that should help if I'm actually getting into a combat situation in a serious game. These guys I'll leave alone if I meet them again though, for the time being.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 17, 2010, 05:29:12 pm »

Magnnus, I hate you right now. :D Slowly plowing my way through the game (after a few days making about every mistake mentioned in the thread and a few more...

You're welcome.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 17, 2010, 05:50:14 pm »

My game is crashing when I make a more-than-30days increment..
Anyone ever got this?

EDIT .Actually, it's breaking after a certain date

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 17, 2010, 05:55:10 pm »

The most astonishing thing is that, despite ridiculous resolution requirement,  lack of tutorials and amount of bugs sufficient to distribute among four versions of Windows, people are actually still trying to play it. It may say much about the quality of the game, or just your patience. I will probably never learn that, as I don't intend to buy a separate monitor just to play one game.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 17, 2010, 06:01:21 pm »

The most astonishing thing is that, despite ridiculous resolution requirement,  lack of tutorials and amount of bugs sufficient to distribute among four versions of Windows, people are actually still trying to play it. It may say much about the quality of the game, or just your patience. I will probably never learn that, as I don't intend to buy a separate monitor just to play one game.

Well past all of that crap is a very good game. Remember DF was originally like this (no tutorials, Not a big player base etc)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 17, 2010, 06:01:37 pm »

Well, it does seem astoundingly complex and some people just really like complex games. I just wish I had time to learn how to play it at the moment. It's also worth remembering that, besides the resolution requirement and desktop-affecting bugs, this is more or less what DF was initially like at first public release.

And there are work-arounds to get it working at a less than optimal monitor. Is your monitor CRT or LCD? What's its maximum/native resolution?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 1347