Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808709 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5985 on: August 23, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »

I noticed Earth claims it is not surveyed...but when I send a survey vehicle to the planet it doesnt change it. I am assuming that "survey team" is different then a survey vessel?

If so what is the survey team?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: August 23, 2011, 01:05:42 pm »

Survey team is indeed different from a survey ship. To make a team you must go to the Officers and Teams tab in the Economics (F2) window, and create a Geosurvey team. They'll then hunt for additional deposits of minerals, or make them more accessible.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: August 23, 2011, 01:15:17 pm »

note that geosurvey teams work..... unrealistically.

Basically, bodies don't have a set amount of minerals to be found - rather, every production cycle (5 days by default) the geosurvey team has a chance to either 1. find nothing and keep working, 2. generate new minerals 3. finish the survey (they can find new minerals and finish the survey on the same turn).

higher skill = higher chance to generate minerals and lower chance to finish the survey, so it means they will magically generate more minerals for you. Since you can't send a higher skilled team in later to find even more (once it's done, it's done forever) you want to use the highest trained team you can.

On the other hand, planets survey faster then moons, and moons survey faster then asteroids (asteroids take forever). So you can either try and send them to asteroids/moons first to train them up slowly (remember, people retire or die after a long enough time) or just send them to poor quality planets first to train up faster, at the expensive of finding less overall minerals.

Personally, I don't bother training them. The total minerals found can end up huge sometimes, but normally even with a 200 - 250 skill team you're not going to find more then 100,000 - 300,000 of a mineral.... when you've got planets with millions to tens of millions of minerals that's just not enough to be worth the hassle.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: August 23, 2011, 01:22:46 pm »

True but I can imagine you may have a suprlus of officers at some point...may as well use them

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:17 pm »

True but I can imagine you may have a suprlus of officers at some point...may as well use them

At some point? More like from your third year to the heat death of the universe. Try starting with a realistic human population, around 7b, and you have enough officers to populate a good sized city. And heaven forbid you actually want to assign them to ships and positions that make the best use of their skills...

Also, regarding teams: Make them early, and make sure to include as many 30% bonus people as possible, to keep those from disappearing. Teams train their skills even when not actually doing anything, so if you put together an espionage team your first year, by the second decade they could probably bring you the entire technical specs for every ship and module on an entire planet in a single cycle.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5990 on: August 23, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »

Thats because the game isn't balanced around a realistic population. It's balanced around the population of 500 million. Why? I guess for the same reason many of the planets in Sol have the wrong gravity: designer choice :P

So if you start with 7 billion you're getting 14x as many officers as a usual game, so you'll have tons of them.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: August 23, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »

I just like to figure most people were killed in some cataclysmic accident or some such, 1b at most.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: August 23, 2011, 02:39:57 pm »

I think its designed around 500 million to simulate the fact that even though there are 7b people on earth...are all of them able/willing to work on your little space program?

I see it as the population of the top/leading nations working together for your advanced space program...or something like that

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: August 23, 2011, 02:41:23 pm »

Which is, incidentally, why I always start with the default population.  :P

And I tend to do the same thing as you, Ehndras, in that I always make up a little bit of backstory about a war over trans-newtonian tech, and the collapse of national government that brought about the current tiny, united population.

Also: FUCK I FORGOT HOW MANY TROJAN POPUPS WERE ON INFINITELOOPER AND NOW I HAD TO WASTE AN HOUR GETTING THEM OFF BECAUSE I ACCIDENTLLY X'D ONE OUT WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS ANOTHER FUCKING NAG POPUP FROM GiMeSpace!! *facedesk*

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: August 23, 2011, 02:42:22 pm »

BurnedToast, geo team are awesome when they rise the accessibility of that 30m tons deposit of Duranium from 0.1 to 0.9.

As for the 500m people, I guess it's because Steve only bother with space-capable nations, like the US and EU and not with all those pesky third-world guys.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5995 on: August 23, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »

BurnedToast, geo team are awesome when they rise the accessibility of that 30m tons deposit of Duranium from 0.1 to 0.9.

As for the 500m people, I guess it's because Steve only bother with space-capable nations, like the US and EU and not with all those pesky third-world guys.

yes. geo teams are awesome.
until you drop them off on the sun (not that you can...or can you?) because they have yet to find you the damn corundium. until you actually find it.
in another system
where the *spoilersN1*
are fighting the *spoilersN2*
AND a npr race.
...i'm missing dwarf fortress.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:38 pm »

How can I monitor the cooling/heating of my sun? I select the option on the start game menu...but it doesn't seem to be cooling or heating up

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: August 23, 2011, 02:46:33 pm »

Try clicking on it and selecting "body info".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5998 on: August 23, 2011, 02:46:42 pm »

Does it drive anyone else nuts that the moons in Sol have the wrong gravity - to the point that Titan has more gravity than Mars? That always annoys me, why should Titan magically be habitable when I can't put a colony on Luna?

In reality Titan has even less gravity than Earth's moon.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: August 23, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »

How can I monitor the cooling/heating of my sun? I select the option on the start game menu...but it doesn't seem to be cooling or heating up

Indirect observation. Watch the temperature of your inner planets.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 1347