Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808554 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6000 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »

Does it drive anyone else nuts that the moons in Sol have the wrong gravity - to the point that Titan has more gravity than Mars? That always annoys me, why should Titan magically be habitable when I can't put a colony on Luna?

In reality Titan has even less gravity than Earth's moon.

In all fairness, Luna should be habitable because Robert Heinlein said it should be.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6001 on: August 23, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

It bothers me so much I always edit the database to reduce Titan's gravity to what it should be, just so it doesn't taunt me with its habitableness. Most of the moons and such seem to have wrong info for stuff like gravity, I guess Steve just made it up as he went or something.

I reported it on the official forums ages ago but he never bothered changing it. Guess he doesn't care.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: August 23, 2011, 02:53:43 pm »

Does it drive anyone else nuts that the moons in Sol have the wrong gravity - to the point that Titan has more gravity than Mars? That always annoys me, why should Titan magically be habitable when I can't put a colony on Luna?

In reality Titan has even less gravity than Earth's moon.
Yeah, that drives me nuts.

So I edited the database for Galilean moons, Luna and Titan. The gravity is still wildly wrong, being about twice as what they should be (not sure, based it off of the gravity of Callisto in-game), but since the gravity habitability is so restricting, I believe I have an excuse.

Now, I can live on Luna, the four largest Galilean moons, and Titan without genetic engineering.

If you want me to send you the database password and the download to a pretty decent editor so you can edit the database yourself, just ask.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:55:35 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6003 on: August 23, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

See my previous post, I already edit the database :) Been doing so since I first started playing like a year and a half ago.

I always go through and change all the major moons to using the proper gravities, made a little text file of the changes. Makes me unable to habit any of them, but that's better than Titan magically being habitable for some reason.

I also change them to use images appropriate to them so I can start up a new game and see them all looking like the planets instead of a solar system full of blue filler images. Technically you can do that ingame, but I often start more than one game per version so its easy to just do it in the database while im there.

I always just edit the database with OpenOffice. I'm sure there are better database editors, but it works just fine for going in and changing SolSystemBodies in a few places.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »

I'm on the leadership screen. What buttons do I click to get someone assigned to earth?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: August 23, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »

Top left, select the drop down for leader types. Civilian.

Left hand, select officer. Or use right, search for your favorite.

Center, select the planet.

Go to bottom right, click Assign.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:32 pm »

I think I might need to look up how to change the resolution.

Edit: Holy cow! Even more buttons :o!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: August 23, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

Yeah, the commanders screen is pretty complicated, and is one of the three that needs a scrolling desktop or non-laptop resolution.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »

Lololol level 15 nebula, 167km/s per armor level max speed, and two survey ships stuck in there without fuel. Got a lvl 8 on another of my points, with a limit of I believe 332km/s per armor level max speed.
1: Have half your border systems be nearly impassable nebulas.
2: Get annoyed and delete the game
3:????
4: Fun! Well not really because I'm still playing a spreadsheet with occasional moments of Weberesque awesome space battles.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: August 23, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »

Pffffff, that sounds like fun. :P

Still, you have to admit, they make very good defensive systems for beam platforms: I've heard that missiles don't work in nebulae.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: August 23, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »

Yeah, missiles don't work, and speed is a direct function of armor. So basically you churn out some ships that are basically nothing but balls of armor with a juicy core of engine and meson, toss them in, and let invaders grind themselves down.

The point where I deleted that save was when the one jump point that didn't lead to a high grade nebula was naturally gated and led to a system full of hostile aliens and their 10,450 km/s 12,950 ton ships.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:33 pm »

If you're upset with that, you could've always created some more jump-points with SM mode.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: August 23, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »

I could have done that...

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: August 23, 2011, 11:31:07 pm »

Relinking all the Jump Points? Why would you need to relink them?

Personally, it's much quicker to just create a new jump point or delete the system that you don't like on the other side of a jump point than start a new game. It takes seconds. Literally, seconds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: August 24, 2011, 12:03:57 am »

Eh, either way, I'm already started in on the new game, and I'm going to stick this one out. Not least because I've already got an operating civilian ship in less than 2 months.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 1347