Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808721 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5955 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:24 am »

okay, apparently Mars is unsuitable, but it currently has 2 Infrastructure. I don't know why it's only 2 give that I dropped 1,500 on it  if I recall correctly....
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: August 23, 2011, 08:29:27 am »

Just installed this and looking over tutorials.
Has anyone found a way of Setting a higher screen resolution on Vista?
I know how to do it on Xp and make the screen scroll around, but that option isgreyed out on vista, I'm currently using GiMeSpace Desktop extender Trial Which works well but is limited to 30 days, Has anyone found something similar that is freeware?
My other options are something that makes multiple desktops which i can use to switch to a bottom left screen just to see a few hundred pixels of height, or That 360 desktop program which only works horizontally, which i can combine with rotating my display 90 degrees and tipping mylaptop sideways (definately not ideal, if it works at all)
Edit: GiMeSpace pops up a nag window every 5 mins :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: August 23, 2011, 08:37:23 am »

I dropped 1,500 on it  if I recall correctly....
You don't recall correctly : it should take ages to drop 1500 infrastructures on it o_O

If you asked civilians to ship 1500 infrastructures, they'll get some, on every journey, but 1500 in one ... :s

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:22 am »

I dropped 1,500 on it  if I recall correctly....
You don't recall correctly : it should take ages to drop 1500 infrastructures on it o_O

If you asked civilians to ship 1500 infrastructures, they'll get some, on every journey, but 1500 in one ... :s

Ah my apologies, you are correct.

When I hit on a large time increment (say 5 days) but the game only forwards 1, is that the result of an interrupt causing the time period to be reduced?
Steam page!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: August 23, 2011, 09:21:12 am »

Just installed this and looking over tutorials.
Has anyone found a way of Setting a higher screen resolution on Vista?
I know how to do it on Xp and make the screen scroll around, but that option isgreyed out on vista, I'm currently using GiMeSpace Desktop extender Trial Which works well but is limited to 30 days, Has anyone found something similar that is freeware?
My other options are something that makes multiple desktops which i can use to switch to a bottom left screen just to see a few hundred pixels of height, or That 360 desktop program which only works horizontally, which i can combine with rotating my display 90 degrees and tipping mylaptop sideways (definately not ideal, if it works at all)
Edit: GiMeSpace pops up a nag window every 5 mins :(

You can add a few more vertical pixels with the "Reduce window height" option in the main game bar, but that by itself isn't quite enough. The only real 'solution' I've found is GiMeSpace, and those fucking popups drive me insane, to the point where I would rip the actual program if I knew how, just because it pisses me off. On another note, keep a zipped file of it on your computer and just delete the rest when you don't want it around.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:01 am »

When I hit on a large time increment (say 5 days) but the game only forwards 1, is that the result of an interrupt causing the time period to be reduced?

Yes. If you run the game in spacemaster mode (ctrl+s, no password unless you set one when you created the game) then it will also tell you (fairly vaguely) the cause of the increment break.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: August 23, 2011, 09:46:13 am »

Yes. If you run the game in spacemaster mode (ctrl+s, no password unless you set one when you created the game) then it will also tell you (fairly vaguely) the cause of the increment break.

And if it turns out to be something like 2 NPRs fighting, set autoturn on.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:06 am »

You can add a few more vertical pixels with the "Reduce window height" option in the main game bar, but that by itself isn't quite enough. The only real 'solution' I've found is GiMeSpace, and those fucking popups drive me insane, to the point where I would rip the actual program if I knew how, just because it pisses me off. On another note, keep a zipped file of it on your computer and just delete the rest when you don't want it around.
I just noticed a huge flaw in this program, Since i can't actually resize most of the windows in game i can't actually scroll them around, despite the program having options that are supposed to resizee windows.. So yeah i'm stumped. At least i resized the system window.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: August 23, 2011, 09:54:46 am »

Okay, the terraforming and colonisation is REALLY starting to piss me the fuck off. Mars now has 0.79atm Nitrogen, 0.19atm oxygen and 0.15 carbon dioxide, and the ratios balance out to make a breathable atmosphere according to system view. The surface temperature is 9, which is also suitable according to system view. The pressure is also acceptable. The only thing is that the gravity is a little bit too low. It also currently has about 200 infrastructure placed down upon it, yet apparently it STILL UNINHABITABLE, and Venus, which has a temperature of over 400 and a pressure of 100, no water and no breathable atmosphere is SOMEHOW COLONISABLE (albeit with a very high cost). Where is the fucking logic in that!?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:59:02 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: August 23, 2011, 09:58:17 am »

I just noticed a huge flaw in this program, Since i can't actually resize most of the windows in game i can't actually scroll them around, despite the program having options that are supposed to resizee windows.. So yeah i'm stumped. At least i resized the system window.

The thing is, if you scroll the windows up a bit you can see the bottom of the window, which means that you can hover over the bottom row of buttons to see what they do, and then click the correct one. If I remember correctly, the only 3 windows where this is necessary for me (on shitty laptop resolution of 1366x768) are the Task Groups, Commanders and System Information windows, so you don't even need to do it very much.

3. Run Resize Enable

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5965 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

Okay, the terraforming and colonisation is REALLY starting to piss me the fuck off. Mars now has 0.79atm Nitrogen, 0.19atm oxygen and 0.15 carbon dioxide, and the ratios balance out to make a breathable atmosphere according to system view. The surface temperature is 9, which is also suitable according to system view. The pressure is also acceptable. The only thing is that the gravity is a little bit too low. It also currently has about 200 infrastructure placed down upon it, yet apparently it STILL UNINHABITABLE, and Venus, which has a temperature of over 400 and a pressure of 100 iis SOMEHOW COLONISABLE (albeit with a very high cost). Where is the fucking logic in that!?

carbon dioxide has to leave.
period.
>.> don't ask, just do it. and no more oxygen than 10%...maybe...try and make it earth-pasted. so nitrogen 89% argon 1% oxigen 10%
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:26 am »

Okay, the terraforming and colonisation is REALLY starting to piss me the fuck off. Mars now has 0.79atm Nitrogen, 0.19atm oxygen and 0.15 carbon dioxide, and the ratios balance out to make a breathable atmosphere according to system view. The surface temperature is 9, which is also suitable according to system view. The pressure is also acceptable. The only thing is that the gravity is a little bit too low. It also currently has about 200 infrastructure placed down upon it, yet apparently it STILL UNINHABITABLE, and Venus, which has a temperature of over 400 and a pressure of 100 iis SOMEHOW COLONISABLE (albeit with a very high cost). Where is the fucking logic in that!?

period.
>.> don't ask, just do it. and no more oxygen than 10%...maybe...try and make it earth-pasted. so nitrogen 89% argon 1% oxigen 10%

But the game says the atmosphere is breathable, and if the carbon dioxide raises the surface temperature, which was originally somewhere around -20, not inhabitable.
Steam page!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5967 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:50 am »

period.

But the game says the atmosphere is breathable, and if the carbon dioxide raises the surface temperature, which was originally somewhere around -20, not inhabitable.

i know, but, strangely, removing something/adding something might unlock the planet. it was a suggestion. you could try and make it with the same precise gas quantities as earth. that should work.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: August 23, 2011, 10:20:51 am »

The thing is, if you scroll the windows up a bit you can see the bottom of the window, which means that you can hover over the bottom row of buttons to see what they do, and then click the correct one.
In theory i should be able to do this, butfor some reason the window starts at the same resolution as my desktop, isn't resizable, and i can merely scroll it around butcan't even see the bottom of the window. I guess i'll have to find something else.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: August 23, 2011, 10:33:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nope, removed the carbon dioxide, now 99% the make-up of earth, still less-habitable than Venus....
Also the forums seem to want my post in a quotation box. Yay technology!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:35:18 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1347