Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808613 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5970 on: August 23, 2011, 10:38:36 am »

Okay, the terraforming and colonisation is REALLY starting to piss me the fuck off. Mars now has 0.79atm Nitrogen, 0.19atm oxygen and 0.15 carbon dioxide, and the ratios balance out to make a breathable atmosphere according to system view. The surface temperature is 9, which is also suitable according to system view. The pressure is also acceptable. The only thing is that the gravity is a little bit too low. It also currently has about 200 infrastructure placed down upon it, yet apparently it STILL UNINHABITABLE, and Venus, which has a temperature of over 400 and a pressure of 100, no water and no breathable atmosphere is SOMEHOW COLONISABLE (albeit with a very high cost). Where is the fucking logic in that!?

On the summery screen where it says planetary suitability (colony cost) what's it say?  Mars should have a colony cost of 2 at the start. The gravity is fine, default mars is 0.38 while default humans have a tolerance of 0.30 so there should be no penalty there.

You added *way* more gas then you needed (though it should still be breathable I think...). My mars has .0203 nitrogen, .228 CO2, and .105 oxygen and people are living there fine with no infrastructure at all.

200 infrastructure is not very much, my WAG is you messed up the gas mixture a tiny bit and now everyone is dying because they can't pack into that one tiny little dome you've got.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: August 23, 2011, 10:56:33 am »

Figured it'd be easier to post a screenshot. That is the current atmosphere, and the game tells me that's unsuitable for life. At all.
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:19 am »

No wonder, your surface temperature is only 248K, it's freezing! You haven't even melted the ice caps.

Just copy the gas mixture I posted above for my mars... start with the CO2 to warm it up, that alone might be enough you might not need to remove the nitrogen or argon since my mars is on the cool side.

Whoever told you to remove the CO2 didn't know what they were talking about, you need some greenhouse gas to keep the planet warm. You could use "safe greenhouse gas" instead but it functions the same as CO2.

Edit: by the game telling you it's unsuitable for life, does that mean the colony cost on the summery literally says "unsuitable"? if so, you did something wrong at some point (custom race? tinkered with the planets in SM/dev mode?) since it's realistically impossible to get mars that bad with default settings.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:06:08 am by BurnedToast »

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: August 23, 2011, 11:09:42 am »

No wonder, your surface temperature is only 248K, it's freezing! You haven't even melted the ice caps.

Just copy the gas mixture I posted above for my mars... start with the CO2 to warm it up, that alone might be enough you might not need to remove the nitrogen or argon since my mars is on the cool side.

Whoever told you to remove the CO2 didn't know what they were talking about, you need some greenhouse gas to keep the planet warm. You could use "safe greenhouse gas" instead but it functions the same as CO2.

Edit: by the game telling you it's unsuitable for life, does that mean the colony cost on the summery literally says "unsuitable"? if so, you did something wrong at some point (custom race? tinkered with the planets in SM/dev mode?) since it's realistically impossible to get mars that bad with default settings.

I'd already tried with the CO2 to no avail, and there's been no SM-tweaking, and I don't know the designer password. It does literally say "unsuitable", so no life can live on it. Ever.
Steam page!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: August 23, 2011, 11:16:31 am »

That's really weird, since really the only way to make it say unsuitable is to be outside the gravity range - no amount of terraforming will change that.

press control-f2 and see what it says for ideal gravity and maximum deviation (g), then check the body info for mars on the starmap screen to see what it says for gravity.

Either your mars is screwed up, or your humans are nonstandard.

edit: control-f2 won't work from the starmap screen you have to press it with the game toolbar in the front

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: August 23, 2011, 11:28:37 am »

That's really weird, since really the only way to make it say unsuitable is to be outside the gravity range - no amount of terraforming will change that.

press control-f2 and see what it says for ideal gravity and maximum deviation (g), then check the body info for mars on the starmap screen to see what it says for gravity.

Either your mars is screwed up, or your humans are nonstandard.

edit: control-f2 won't work from the starmap screen you have to press it with the game toolbar in the front

If your Mars is defective, you can return it to the store for a full refund. If your humans do not conform to industry standards, your operation may be shut down by the People Patrol.

Also, different game, one of my forward recon groups ran into a bit more than they could handle:
6,500 ton contact x3 (2 class types)
12,850 ton contact x1
12,900 ton contact x1
13,000 ton contact x4 (2 class types)

They got wiped before they could do much more than gather sensor data, and one of my unarmed survey ships is now attempting a daring recovery of the lifepods. Meanwhile, one of my PDF groups has popped over through the jump point to provide sensor support for the group of King Louis class light cruisers currently en route.

Yes, this PDF:
Code: [Select]
Rommel class Jump Point Defence Base    105,600 tons     5058 Crew     29103.1603 BP      TCS 2112  TH 2550  EM 300
1609 km/s     Armour 20-199     Shields 10-300     Sensors 1200/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 6     PPV 260
Maint Life 0.03 Years     MSP 4033    AFR 14868%    IFR 206.5%    1YR 146205    5YR 2193068    Max Repair 6750 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 10000 tons     Magazine 21222   

Solid Core Anti-matter Drive E1 (17)    Power 200    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range 340.7 billion km   (2450 days at full power)
Delta R300/2.5 Shields (4)   Total Fuel Cost  10 Litres per day

Size 16 Missile Launcher (25% Reduction) (40)    Missile Size 16    Rate of Fire 5335
Size 1 Missile Launcher (100)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 5
Missile Fire Control FC111-R1 (4)     Range 111.4m km    Resolution 1
Missile Fire Control FC498-R20 (4)     Range 498.1m km    Resolution 20
Viper-1 (6000)  Speed: 64,000 km/s   End: 28.1m    Range: 108m km   WH: 2    Size: 1    TH: 1706 / 1024 / 512
Athena-16 (639)  Speed: 20,000 km/s   End: 750m    Range: 900m km   WH: 72    Size: 16    TH: 200 / 120 / 60
Hermes-1 (5000)  Speed: 40,000 km/s   End: 187.5m    Range: 450m km   WH: 6    Size: 1    TH: 666 / 400 / 200

Active Search Sensor MR118-R1 (1)     GPS 1080     Range 118.8m km    Resolution 1
SLRAS MR3320-R20 (1)     GPS 135000     Range 3,320.6m km    Resolution 20
STS TH50-1200 (1)     Sensitivity 1200     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  1200m km

ECM 10

Strike Group
32x Aggressor Fighter   Speed: 19672 km/s    Size: 6.1

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

And yes, I have twelve of them. And yes, that is a 3b km+ sensor range. Too bad my missiles can't reach that far.  ::)

Spoiler: Pic 4 reference (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:33 am »

Okay, so my Mars is fauly, guess I'll have to try my luck with Venus...

Is there any way of getting additional civilian ships?
Steam page!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: August 23, 2011, 11:38:53 am »

Mercury would be a better bet if you're looking to terraform, because Venus takes for-fucking-ever. Or find another world in a new system. For civ ships, the only solution is time. Make classes they would build (freighters, colony ships, lux liners, etc) and wait. Usually by the time you hit 1m people on your first colony you should have some civ mining colonies on asteroids and moons, as well as a few civ ships.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:32 am »

If you want more ships for the civilian shipping lanes, you can click the shipping lines info button (fifth from the right at the top on the starmap screen) then pick subsidize to give the civilian shipping lane some free money. They might use it to build more ships, or they might just give it all to the stockholders as dividends.

If you just want more civilian ships under your control, you can go ahead and build some - military shipyards can build civilian ships just fine.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: August 23, 2011, 11:47:56 am »

okay I subsidised, so hopefully something will come of that.

I'm really grateful for you all answering my questions, I feel like such an idiot for having to ask them all :P so thanks guys
Steam page!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5980 on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:29 am »

Biggest thing to keep in mind for civilian hsipping is that it takes a long time to do anything, and they will go for whatever is of most profit for them and not always what is your highest priority. If you want them to ship mines out to Pluto but they can make more money trading from Earth to Mars, they will mostly ignore the pluto contract until trade is saturated.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:39 am »

don't feel like an idiot, it's a ridiculously complex game with virtually no documentation :p

And plus I have a question:

I've got a fleet of 5 grav survey ships. Is there any way I can send them to a system, have them automatically split up and scan the grav points, then meet back up together when they are done?

If not, is there any way to accomplish that with less micromanagement then having them all in separate fleets?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5982 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:43 am »

don't feel like an idiot, it's a ridiculously complex game with virtually no documentation :p

And plus I have a question:

I've got a fleet of 5 grav survey ships. Is there any way I can send them to a system, have them automatically split up and scan the grav points, then meet back up together when they are done?

If not, is there any way to accomplish that with less micromanagement then having them all in separate fleets?
Try this: Give the 5-ship taskgroup the primary order to survey then order it to transit and divide on the wormhole to the new system. Each ship should split off into its own taskgroup and should retain the primary orders of the original.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: August 23, 2011, 12:00:53 pm »

Thanks, that works great.

I don't suppose there is a way to automatically make them recombine? even if not, it's still a lot less work then moving the fleets around manually the whole time.

Edit: Hmm there's an automatic order for move to entry point, if I set that as secondary they should all fly back to the jumpgate... and from there it's very easy to recombine them. Close enough.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:03:46 pm by BurnedToast »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5984 on: August 23, 2011, 12:04:38 pm »

I don't think there is any truly automated way. I always just waited until I saw the grav survey complete then order them to recombine.
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1347