Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814393 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2970 on: March 28, 2010, 01:01:29 am »

OH GOD WE ARE ALL DOOMED! *insert various exploding sounds*
chill with the bold. No more coffee for you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:05:02 am by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2971 on: March 28, 2010, 01:02:14 am »

If he's too lazy to put a "1" in the max load box I don't think he cares about his planets.
Thanks for making the newbie feel bad :'(
[/quote]It's what I do. :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 28, 2010, 01:03:58 am »

Thanks for making the newbie feel bad :'(
Ah, don't worry, its all in good fun.

If he's too lazy to put a "1" in the max load box I don't think he cares about his planets.

fail quote?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2973 on: March 28, 2010, 01:05:27 am »

yeah weird, clicked your quote but it quoted me. huh

OH GOD WE ARE ALL DOOMED! *insert various exploding sounds*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:10:50 am by forsaken1111 »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: March 28, 2010, 01:07:32 am »

That extra '[/quote]' does not belong. :P

Edit; page 200 with our shenanigans!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2975 on: March 28, 2010, 06:51:17 am »

I wonder what the smallest geosurvey/gravisurvey ship you can make is. I have got it to 1000 easily but that is with a jump drive.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 28, 2010, 07:50:53 am »

With a computer that can possibly manage this game (minus a monitor capable of handling a screen resolution necessary to run this game, but apparently I can fix that with a simple program) I feel like playing this again. The problem is, the complexity reminds me of back when I stumbled upon Dwarf Fortress. How bad is it in comparison to DF?

It seems about on the same level to me. The hardest part is that DF has a lot of extraneous information adding to it's complexity - dwarves have personalities, relationships, likes, dislikes, moods, etc. Aurora has a lot of invaluable information that you have to check every month or so to make sure it doesn't implode on you. Usually it's not separated by much, you check the Environment tab to keep an eye on terraforming projects, or the Research tab to see new research projects, etc.

Edit; also, be careful with the mass drivers! you don't want to bombard your planet with minerals do you?

I thought a mass driver could catch as many tons of mineral as you threw at it? Or were you referring to him loading and unloading mass drivers en masse?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2977 on: March 28, 2010, 11:01:38 am »

Edit; also, be careful with the mass drivers! you don't want to bombard your planet with minerals do you?
I thought a mass driver could catch as many tons of mineral as you threw at it? Or were you referring to him loading and unloading mass drivers en masse?
They can. He is saying that being cavalier with how many you move around can result in suddenly bombarding your planet. If he had only built 6 mass drivers and mistakenly moved all 6 off-world.... well... boom. Your empire can, oddly, surrender to itself.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 28, 2010, 11:49:55 am »

I wonder what the smallest geosurvey/gravisurvey ship you can make is. I have got it to 1000 easily but that is with a jump drive.
I had made a carrier based gravsurvey once.  it was classified as a fighter too.  the plan was to have about a dozen of those in a jump capable carrier. Carrier flies to the system sun, launches all the gravsurveys all at once, and they all survey their points and return to refuel, repeat until system is surveyed.

In practice however the ships didn't have the fuel to make it to the outermost survey ring and back.  And it was rather micromanagement intensive.   I think the plans are back further in the thread, but I couldn't find them with a quick look.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: March 28, 2010, 12:02:56 pm »

you can build a ship with launchers, loaded with (secondstage) geo/grav sensor buoys.

I wonder whether this would be economically feasable...the buoys supposedly have identical sensors, which make up 60% or so in the cost of a survey scout.

It would make sense in an infected system. Jump in launch load of payloadmissiles, jump out, let missiles travel to survey locations and deploy buoys.
I've used this principle with recon buoys. but never with geo/grav, as I worried about the economics. Putting a geo probe around a suspected homeworld or outpost would save you from the 'ship detected in owned space' political modifier.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2980 on: March 28, 2010, 12:13:24 pm »

Smallest you can get with the bare minimum components and keep mobile.

Code: [Select]
Tiny Tim class Geosurvey Ship    325 tons     32 Crew     612.5 BP      TCS 6.5  TH 4.5  EM 0
69230 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/5     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 65%    IFR: 0.9%    Maint Capacity 0 MSP    Max Repair 300 MSP    Est Time: 0 Years

FTR Photonic Drive E200 (1)    Power 450    Fuel Use 2000%    Signature 4.5    Armour 0    Exp 175%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 2.8 billion km   (11 hours at full power)

Phased Geological Sensors (1)   5 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a fighter for production and combat purposes

You could drop the fuel storage and make it dropped off by carrier giving,
Tiny Tim II class Geosurvey Ship    315 tons     31 Crew     609.5 BP      TCS 6.3  TH 4.5  EM 0
71428 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/5     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 63%    IFR: 0.9%    Maint Capacity 0 MSP    Max Repair 300 MSP    Est Time: 0 Years

FTR Photonic Drive E200 (1)    Power 450    Fuel Use 2000%    Signature 4.5    Armour 0    Exp 175%

This design is classed as a fighter for production and combat purposes
(you still need the fighter engine to get it to classify as a fighter to take advantage of less than full 50 ton spaces) But if your going this route you might as well use buoys.

The smallest non-fighter you can get is
Tiny Tom class Geosurvey Ship    550 tons     55 Crew     1071 BP      TCS 11  TH 7.5  EM 0
68181 km/s     Armour 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/5     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 110%    IFR: 1.5%    Maint Capacity 0 MSP    Max Repair 750 MSP    Est Time: 0 Years

GB Photonic Drive E5 (1)    Power 750    Fuel Use 50%    Signature 7.5    Armour 0    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 30,000 Litres    Range 196.4 billion km   (33 days at full power)

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 28, 2010, 01:34:54 pm »

you can build a ship with launchers, loaded with (secondstage) geo/grav sensor buoys.

There are no gravsurvey buoys.  You can build geosurvey buoys, though.  But why?  It's probably cheaper in the long run to use commercial geosurvey ships (periodic fuel cost, initial mineral cost) instead of geosurvey buoys (each one costs minerals and fuel).

On a completely different note:

Here's a brilliant idea, folks!  Since supposedly the maintenance clock doesn't run for ships sitting inside a hangar, build some massive hangar PDCs to hold your excess military ships when they're not on-duty.  It'll save you the ongoing mineral/supply cost, unlike maintenance facilities (which, I discovered recently, consume minerals for every ship they maintain).  You won't have to overhaul nearly so often, either.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 28, 2010, 01:59:25 pm »

Here's a brilliant idea, folks!  Since supposedly the maintenance clock doesn't run for ships sitting inside a hangar, build some massive hangar PDCs to hold your excess military ships when they're not on-duty.  It'll save you the ongoing mineral/supply cost, unlike maintenance facilities (which, I discovered recently, consume minerals for every ship they maintain).  You won't have to overhaul nearly so often, either.

Hmm. But what'd be the cost of building a good bunch of big PDCs? Might be decades-worth of maintenance expenses. :P

Also, there'd be no change as far as overhauls are concerned, since ships being maintained by facilities stop their clocks as well.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:01:33 pm by Greenbane »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 28, 2010, 02:03:34 pm »

That actually makes sense, as you are basically building the space version of a dry dock and mothballing the ships.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 28, 2010, 02:53:50 pm »

since ships being maintained by facilities stop their clocks as well.

Derp.  Forgot about that.

RE costs

A maintenance facility costs 75 duranium plus 75 neutronium plus ongoing periodic fees (which, depending on the ship, can include all minerals).  It supports an unlimited number of ships (of size <= 4 HS per facility) but each adds to the periodic fees.

A hangar deck costs 50 vendarite, 0.5 duranium + 1 mercassium per hangar for crew (one crew bay supports ten hangars), 5 duranium + 5 corbomite for a bridge, 1 duranium + 2 mercassium for a command module (for the bridge crew), and X duranium + Y neutronium for armor.  It supports 20 HS of ships (total) with no periodic fees.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1347