Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814369 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2955 on: March 27, 2010, 10:09:06 pm »

Also... I wonder..... If i refit a ship minorly (ie replace 1 single part on it) does that reset its maintenance clock back to 0?
When you order a ship to undergo a refit as part of that process it first does a full overhaul. It won't save you any time.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

WHY cant i cheat my way out of this system fffff.

Note to self, dont waste 20 years letting your ships fall apart then be forced to overhaul them for like 5 years.
Well you could try scrapping them and rebuilding new. That may get around the refit.

IIRC, scrapping nets you very little resources back from the ships....

doesnt it? Last time i did it i got very few resources back i thought.

Salvage is sorta the same it seems, very few resources gained back.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: March 27, 2010, 10:28:51 pm »

Can anyone else confirm that it has to go though overhaul before it can refit?

Edit; removed the italics so it would not seem like I have something against forsaken1111.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:02:23 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: March 27, 2010, 10:43:20 pm »

I don't recall seeing this information in the game anywhere, so it should probably go in the wiki, but I know little about wiki editing.  Anyone planning a wiki update rampage in the near future?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:23 pm »

Ahh, now Greenbane can see what he has been missing out on. :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2959 on: March 27, 2010, 11:09:51 pm »

Can anyone else confirm that it has to go though overhaul before it can refit?

Edit; removed the italics so it would not seem like I have something against forsaken1111.
I've done several refits in my game. If you don't believe me though, it's quite easy to test yourself. Make a ship, advance about a year, then redesign the ship with any changes and tell it to refit.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: March 28, 2010, 12:23:48 am »

I don't think its a bug, its just a smaller packet, add more mines Eduren! the amount the mass drivers can take is way more than what they are currently mining!

Edit; I don't know where I got the idea that there was 6 mass drivers but one mass driver can still take much more.
Mines are expensive. And there are 6 Mass drivers :P. My freight TG has 6 ships and I didn't feel like micromanaging that.

But no, I'm fairly sure that its not graphically sending the packets, that's what I think the bug is.
I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:36:18 am by Eduren »
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: March 28, 2010, 12:38:15 am »

With a computer that can possibly manage this game (minus a monitor capable of handling a screen resolution necessary to run this game, but apparently I can fix that with a simple program) I feel like playing this again. The problem is, the complexity reminds me of back when I stumbled upon Dwarf Fortress. How bad is it in comparison to DF?
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: March 28, 2010, 12:41:10 am »

Ahh, now Greenbane can see what he has been missing out on. :P

Electronic warfare works pretty much like I thought it did. The Kalugans never managed to fire off a single shot at me, so I never needed ECM to help avoid non-existing shots. I already explained that at least twice! :P

As for refits, yes, they include automatic overhauls if necessary before the actual refitting process begins. For instance, if the ship has a maintenance clock of 5 years, the shipyard will have to overhaul it back to 0 before any proper refitting takes place.

With a computer that can possibly manage this game (minus a monitor capable of handling a screen resolution necessary to run this game, but apparently I can fix that with a simple program) I feel like playing this again. The problem is, the complexity reminds me of back when I stumbled upon Dwarf Fortress. How bad is it in comparison to DF?

Now that I've learnt Aurora's ropes, I'm not sure it's all that more complex than Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:42:44 am by Greenbane »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: March 28, 2010, 12:42:06 am »

I don't think its a bug, its just a smaller packet, add more mines Eduren! the amount the mass drivers can take is way more than what they are currently mining!

Edit; I don't know where I got the idea that there was 6 mass drivers but one mass driver can still take much more.
Mines are expensive. And there are 6 Mass drivers :P. My freight TG has 6 ships and I didn't feel like micromanaging that.

But no, I'm fairly sure that its not graphically sending the packets, that's what I think the bug is.

Then why did you make 6 mass drivers? are you low on Corundium or something?

I've done several refits in my game. If you don't believe me though, it's quite easy to test yourself. Make a ship, advance about a year, then redesign the ship with any changes and tell it to refit.

I'm just confused because my ships have maintenance clocks of 8, and they have been refited at max four years ago, and I thought it was related to the years without a overhaul?

Edit; anyone else notice the 'I am colorblind by the way : )' by holding down the default colors button in the event window? is Steve really colorblind?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:46:28 am by Tarran »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: March 28, 2010, 12:50:20 am »

Its a different kind of complexity. With DF, you have an idea of what you want to do, you just cant figure out how to get there. With Aurora, there are so many things to do, and such openendedness, that you end up getting caught in the details.

In my newbie experience anyway.

I had like 50 mass drivers on Earth because I knew that they would get used up somehow. So when I decided to place some mines on the asteroid, I just told my 6-ship Freight TG to "Load mines, unload mines;load drivers, unload drivers." And I hadn't bothered fiddling with it since.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2965 on: March 28, 2010, 12:51:11 am »

I had like 50 mass drivers on Earth because I knew that they would get used up somehow. So when I decided to place some mines on the asteroid, I just told my 6-ship Freight TG to "Load mines, unload mines;load drivers, unload drivers." And I hadn't bothered fiddling with it since.
Its fairly easy to click "Max amount to load" and type a 1...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: March 28, 2010, 12:52:26 am »

Its called 'repeat' orders my friend.

Edit; also, be careful with the mass drivers! you don't want to bombard your planet with minerals do you?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:56:27 am by Tarran »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2967 on: March 28, 2010, 12:57:35 am »

If he's too lazy to put a "1" in the max load box I don't think he cares about his planets.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: March 28, 2010, 01:00:09 am »

OH GOD WE ARE ALL DOOMED! *insert various exploding sounds*

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: March 28, 2010, 01:01:00 am »

Its fairly easy to click "Max amount to load" and type a 1...
If I knew that existed then maybe... thanks.

And I know that Mass drivers are dangerous, I'm keeping an eye on it.

If he's too lazy to put a "1" in the max load box I don't think he cares about his planets.
Thanks for making the newbie feel bad :'(
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1347