Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814265 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2985 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »

With a computer that can possibly manage this game (minus a monitor capable of handling a screen resolution necessary to run this game, but apparently I can fix that with a simple program) I feel like playing this again. The problem is, the complexity reminds me of back when I stumbled upon Dwarf Fortress. How bad is it in comparison to DF?

It seems about on the same level to me. The hardest part is that DF has a lot of extraneous information adding to it's complexity - dwarves have personalities, relationships, likes, dislikes, moods, etc. Aurora has a lot of invaluable information that you have to check every month or so to make sure it doesn't implode on you. Usually it's not separated by much, you check the Environment tab to keep an eye on terraforming projects, or the Research tab to see new research projects, etc.

Edit; also, be careful with the mass drivers! you don't want to bombard your planet with minerals do you?

I thought a mass driver could catch as many tons of mineral as you threw at it? Or were you referring to him loading and unloading mass drivers en masse?

This reminds me of one of my favorite tactics in Stars! :3 Find an enemy world that you want? Wipe out the current owners with massive waves of mass driven minerals before landing the colony ships to finish off the rest.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: March 28, 2010, 05:12:22 pm »

since ships being maintained by facilities stop their clocks as well.

Derp.  Forgot about that.

RE costs

A maintenance facility costs 75 duranium plus 75 neutronium plus ongoing periodic fees (which, depending on the ship, can include all minerals).  It supports an unlimited number of ships (of size <= 4 HS per facility) but each adds to the periodic fees.

A hangar deck costs 50 vendarite, 0.5 duranium + 1 mercassium per hangar for crew (one crew bay supports ten hangars), 5 duranium + 5 corbomite for a bridge, 1 duranium + 2 mercassium for a command module (for the bridge crew), and X duranium + Y neutronium for armor.  It supports 20 HS of ships (total) with no periodic fees.

While clever, it sounds gamey and/or like an exploit. It's not like mothballing at all, since your ships can come in and out of the 'dry dock' whenever they please. Mothballing would involve partial decommission, sort of like deactivating colony sectors. Deactivation is instant, but reactivation can take a while. I remember reactivating 20 labs took like 6 months.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 28, 2010, 05:44:03 pm »

I've tried Screen Resize to be able to play this but I don't see how it works, or how it helps. I can make the window smaller, woo, but that's not really going to help me see what's cut off because of my small resolution.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: March 28, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »

You can fool around with the windows in many ways, if you resize it to the bottom of your screen then resize back up you will see the missing buttons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this does imply, however, that your screen can handle the horizontal requirements, if you don't then that might be a real problem.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 28, 2010, 06:36:03 pm »

You can fool around with the windows in many ways, if you resize it to the bottom of your screen then resize back up you will see the missing buttons.

this does imply, however, that your screen can handle the horizontal requirements, if you don't then that might be a real problem.

This apparently doesn't work when you're creating a new game. I can't see the other buttons at all, no matter how much I shrink and expand the screen.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 28, 2010, 06:47:10 pm »

Can't be that bad, you should be able to see everything, unless your screen is that small.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 28, 2010, 06:59:14 pm »

My screen's 1024x768, and that's not what I see on my screen. Everything beyond "Start" in Start Game gets cut off completely, and I can't see anything anymore no matter what I do.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: March 28, 2010, 07:05:15 pm »

'Start'? start game? you mean create game? why would you have any problems with your screen? its wide enough, it should be working, did you try resizing off the screen? can you give me a picture?!

I don't understand what could be wrong, could your screen size be less than you think? can you make it bigger?

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 28, 2010, 07:09:32 pm »

Can't make it bigger than it already is. Here's a picture so you can understand better what I'm talking about:
(and yes, I did mean "Create Game")

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:56 pm »

Ah, I see, you can't resize it sideways, can you slide it off the screen? or is that one thing that Vista beats XP with?

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 28, 2010, 07:55:58 pm »

I CAN slide it off the screen but that really won't do anything. It'll still be cut off:

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 28, 2010, 08:02:50 pm »

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=987#p16584

If that doesn't work then I don't know what would.

good luck!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: March 28, 2010, 08:08:14 pm »

While clever, it sounds gamey and/or like an exploit. It's not like mothballing at all, since your ships can come in and out of the 'dry dock' whenever they please.

Gamey?  Maybe.  Exploit?  I don't think so.  Maintenance facilities can maintain as many ships as you can afford for as long as you can afford.  Hangar PDCs can maintain a handful of ships for free.  PDCs are also immobile whereas MFs can be moved by freighters.  Seems fairly balanced to me.  :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2998 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:33 pm »

This is what I do to make it work for me on my vista laptop. uses ResizeEnable and SDesk.
I am quoting my quote for you oh troubled one! It should work for sides getting cut off just as well as the bottom but maybe not, you never know with computers.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: March 28, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »

I can get most of the windows to fit in a 1024x900 screen if I hide/move the start menu. Unfortunately, Windows 7 tries to "help" by not allowing me to move that 50ish pixel top bar above the top of the screen (god I hate windows 7, but at least it's not vista), so I can't get some windows to fit. I can work around this by flipping the display of my monitor 90 degrees (check the advanced settings under resolution, mine is ctrl+alt+direction), which causes other issues but makes it playable. The only time this doesn't work is when I need a button on the bottom right side of an overlarge window.

I hate the window issues as much as the next guy, but ultimately it's Steve W's game. He's already said he isn't interested in trying to shrink the window size, at least to the point where he'd rather work on new features. You could always try what I do to reach those hard to press buttons, hook up an external monitor long enough to reach them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1347