Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48089 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2010, 12:49:25 pm »

There must be Macedon, brother of Sparta, to fill that empty archer tower.

...I bet you thought I stopped following this, huh?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2010, 05:38:26 pm »

Werewolves eh? Jyrvus is a badass. What's his kill count?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:11 pm »

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2010, 06:28:03 pm »

PRAISE THE ALMIGHTY WEAPONSMITH!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2010, 06:31:48 pm »

Would it be possible for me to call dibs if Goraillion makes an axe?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »

With all this talk of kill counts I thought it was about time to put this little listie together. And then... I just got carried away.

Master Kill Count Counter Thing (n = notable, 0 = other)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking at this, Ubik seems awfully lonely without a title. But technically the knights are the only 'Sir's. I'll check around for cool prefix titles for now.

And hey, as long as we're dropping some arbitrary information, why not drop more arbitrary information?

Legendary List

Sulvor and Grath are within swinging distance of Champion, and the next time we get traders Quinn will be a legendary Appraiser. Goraillion's secretive mood will pop him on the list too, although right now I can't figure out why he won't grab what he wants.

Death List

Job title list is also here, which helps me feel more immersed in the faux-medieval style I'm going fo here. I went ahead and removed all titles for jobs we haven't seen yet because it's more fun for me that way :D

Custom Job Titles (unchanged if unlisted)

Would it be possible for me to call dibs if Goraillion makes an axe?

I dunno what I'll do if it's an axe. I was hoping to not get any axe or hammerdwarves, since medieval warriors mostly used swords, maces, bows, and sometimes spears out of the eligible dwarf weapons. Disregarding that, though, Angron's a L12 swordsdwarf and should probably stick to stabbin'.

have noticed that...
So... keep Datan or pick a new name...
Bah. Keep the name. Dwarven Science sneers at personal indecision!

Actually, my bad - I just noticed I have a female Datan on board. Datan Floorslides it is. Might go back and retcon her name to have always been Datan >_>

There must be Macedon, brother of Sparta, to fill that empty archer tower.

...I bet you thought I stopped following this, huh?

Heh, all right, you've got Macedon Metaltaxes. He took a major sparring wound but is all better now. Ubik shall take him under her wing.

Jeez, that was a goddamn lot of info.

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2010, 01:05:47 am »

Uh-oh, hasn't grabbed the materials? Please don't let my dwarf go insane. :'(

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2010, 01:31:16 am »

What does he want, Retro?

Because dwarves can be particular of plant fibre cloth (rope reed and pig tail) vs. silk cloth, their favourite sort of metal or stone, cut or uncut gems, etc.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 20, 2010, 07:03:23 am »

I suspect Sadok* will be a great dwarf, being the only pure-bred Mightygrip :P

So, ultimately what are you planning to do with the Zombie GCS? I like what beanchubbs said, you could make it an entrance on the side of the castle, and open it with the main passage closed when a melee siege eventually comes.

...Or you could do the boring, non-bloodsheddy way and specify a peasant as 'Bait', give him legendary accomodations to keep him happy and constantly send him to get web'd...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:27:09 am by Eztuzt »
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2010, 02:39:52 pm »

Dang this has been going well while I've been gone now that work is blocking these forums. I have to say the castle looks awesome so far, good luck.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 20, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »

hmm...not had much experience with GCS's myself...can their webs go through fortifications? is their range the same as marksdwarves? If it is then couldn't you just use it in like a GCS tower to shoot down on attackers? Or modify the floodgate design with bridges and fotrifications?

All questions from a relative noob (e.g been playing df for a while but no experience with magma mega designs and such such (yet...))
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2010, 07:18:30 pm »

All right guys, I promised myself I wouldn't do an update unless it was a decent quality story update - but I'm in the middle of two big essays, and I haven't had time to write up anything in a few days. So rather than just have Quinn be like "This happened. And then this happened. Relevant witticism. Implied humour," I'm just gonna half-ass it and give an OOC run-down. This is from fall 15 to the beginning of spring 16, so we've just finished Year 5. Woooo.

First of all I gotta mention something. I realized after I had started playing that I had forgotten to remove goblins from worldgen (I didn't want them to attack at all, damn the foul creatures). So to try and fix it, I set their body temperature super high so they'd just burn up upon arrival and I could just forbid their burnt corpses and ignore them.

Problem is, see, there's apparently a huge repository of giant wolf spiders around somewhere, and the goblins show up mounted on them too rather than it just being an orc thing. So what happens is A Vile Force Of Darkness arrives, I'm zoomed to a plume of smoke, and then about 50 spiders charge the castle. And my unit list looks like this (for a few pages):

A spiders-only siege is very strange. Incidentally, their goddamned webs make them literally like impossible to beat. It's like fighting a horde of 50 GCSes that are extra fast, and one of them is capable of immobilizing your entire military on its own. Had two of these; only a few were actually engaged via melee combat. Also, wild giant wolf spiders are showing up in packs of 5 or so on the edge of the map now. I gotta be careful about that.

The moat's full, as you can see, and I've begun work on the hovels. The first like five are built but not furnished, and another five are in progress. I dunno how many I'll need total. I used the UG river to fill the moat using what I think is a pretty clever floodgate system.

The UG river is 21-23z above the moat. To fill it 90% of the way, I had both sets of floodgates open. For the last little bit, I pulled a switch that triggers the floodgates you see which acts as baffles to keep the water pressure of the moat at the right height without overflowing. If I pull a second switch, the red Xs floodgates (currently not visible) would shut and seal the source and moat entirely. What this means is that if I really want? I can flood the goddamned world by opening that moat up, so long as I seal the map edges. Hehehe.

Another fun fact about the river! I went and caught everything in it. Literally, everything, except two frogmen that were in the actual waterfall at the time I sealed it off. So now our caged animal storage has: a zombie fire imp, a zombie GCS, a zombie giant olm, a zombie giant toad, a mud man (the only non-zombie thing!), two zombie lizardmen, and two zombie frogmen. I'm considering checking the lizard and frogmen genders (currently can't as they're caged but I'd find a way) and modding them to make them breedable and possibly war trainable. Irwin's gonna have some fun with these fellows :D

The dwarves brought me about a zillion bars of all kinds of metal. I bought them all, then gave them about 100,000 profit on top of that. Morul the bone carver and Doom the stonecrafter make goddamned amazing wealth-boosters, though wealth isn't my main focus here.

Goraillion ended up making a large, serrated iron disc. It was in his preferences. I savescummed a bit to see if he would make anything else, since I don't use weapon traps, period, but alas. Oh well. We've got a legendary weaponsmith, at least. Incidentally, he was stuck on raw gems even though we had like a zillion in the stockpile. I ended up having a miner go dig some out of the mountain face and he grabbed one. Here's the description (worth 146,400):

We now have two artifacts featuring king #3, Zas Boardrasp (our current monarch), and one of kings 1 and 2. Just, y'know, in case you were wondering. >_>

Sakzul Crestedshot, Rykue and Gutendorf's daughter, has a fey mood. stuck on raw gems again, I think. Grr. Not sure why that keeps happening. If Sodak went legendary, that would make the most legendary family ever!

Three random migrants died in sparring injuries when I switched Ingish's zerg rush squad from wrestling to swords. I removed the barracks. Think I might need to skill up Jyrvus in armoursmithing.

Aaaaand I'm digging out a magma cistern - 20x20x12, for 4800 tiles of 7/7 magma when it's full. I think with some clever floodgating I can rig up the pump stack I'm gonna use to fill it to also draw from it and dispense it elsewhere. Not sure where to build my power plant yet though.

Julius' blockmaking has finally skilled him up to legendary. Woo! Between Julius and Goraillion, the legendary list is up to I think 20 now. Plus Sakzul will make another shortly.

I think that's everything. Elves haven't come yet, but now that I have dwarves bringing me all my goodies, I might get them to wage war on me. I could use something for the melee military to fight since both goblins AND orcs bring goddamned cheating spiders.

hmm...not had much experience with GCS's myself...can their webs go through fortifications? is their range the same as marksdwarves? If it is then couldn't you just use it in like a GCS tower to shoot down on attackers? Or modify the floodgate design with bridges and fotrifications?

GCSes can't shoot up or down z-levels from what I know, so any GCS-weapon would have to be on the main jungle level. I think they only web at what they can path to, which means a complicated system of drawbridges and fortifications, I believe. I haven't messed around much with the spideys before. Dunno. It'll take some experimenting.

The other thing is that in DF, enemy A and enemy B are BEST FRIENDS and ONLY YOUR DWARVES are subject to attacks. So a wild GCS won't attack invaders... and a tame GCS will run away like other pets do. If I made it war trainable I could use it against sieges, I think. But having it wild is more fun :P

I suspect Sodel will be a great dwarf, being the only pure-bred Mightygrip :P

So, ultimately what are you planning to do with the Zombie GCS? I like what beanchubbs said, you could make it an entrance on the side of the castle, and open it with the main passage closed when a melee siege eventually comes.

...Or you could do the boring, non-bloodsheddy way and specify a peasant as 'Bait', give him legendary accomodations to keep him happy and constantly send him to get web'd...

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it. If I wanted a silk farm, that'd be easy enough without using a peasant. But it's no fun, yeah. As mentioned above, working it into the defenses could be a bit tricky... but I'm sure having a horde of monsters has some Fun use if we think hard enough.

(ps, your dwarf is 'Sadok,' not 'Sodel.' Sodel was Quinn's killed-off-for-real love interest, Sadok is a child. Important distinction if we're gonna keep this fort PG-13 :P)

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2010, 08:21:23 pm »

You never know Retro, Toady may one day decide to make Frisbeedwarves, and that Iron disk becomes a deadly weapon.  :P

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2010, 08:33:55 pm »

Wait, you can breed zombied animals? Shouldn`t there be some law against that, like from nature?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »

You never know Retro, Toady may one day decide to make Frisbeedwarves, and that Iron disk becomes a deadly weapon.  :P

Urist McFrisbeedwarf, Discus Master, is more experienced!
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25