Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 47988 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:06:27 pm »

Mightygrips is over. Not in a 'plot = finished' over sense, but a 'hey, look, I seem to have lost interest in continuing this.' It happens, I guess. Figure I might as well lock the thread to reflect that since I'd like to keep the link in my sig without having people continue to bump the thread. Rest of the original OP is below:

---

It was more a matter of pride than practicality.

The royal caravan was on its way homeward, and no-one had said much since they had left. The king was quietly seething, and his advisors were shooting each other frenetic looks. The visit to Flickeredpassionate had been going so well initially; it was the first meeting between King Zas Boardrasp and the merchant leader Egesh Inchmurder in a little over eight years. Though at peace, both human and dwarven empires had neglected to stay in close communication, instead sending over a diplomat every few seasons to keep on friendly terms. In the face of the growing orc threat, the king had finally been persuaded to journey to Flickeredpassionate on his first royal diplomatic visit. Everything had been planned out beautifully: they would eat, talk tactics for a while, watch a nice execution, and finish off the trip with some ale. Melbil Boltedbasins, diplomat to the Submerged Nation and most trusted advisor of the king, had gone over the itinerary again and again, making sure nothing could go wrong. So how was it, he wondered as he sat nervously next to the livid dwarf king, that everything had gone wrong?

What do we do? Melbil mouthed to Thob Merchantbranded, official outpost liason and junior advisor to the king.

I can’t read lips, Thob mouthed back. Melbil sighed gently. Thob would be no help. As usual. Outpost liasons spent most of their time travelling from one mountainhall to another, braving the wilds to bring news. Thob was certainly strong, having fought off numerous skeletal minotaur and cyclops attacks, but ‘able-minded’ was not part of his job description.

Suddenly the king spoke. “Arrogant git.”

Melbil jumped in, quickly trying to cool the angry king’s temper. “Indeed, my lord. He spoke out of line. However, in regards to—”

“Don’t start again with that ‘my lord’ stuff again. Lousy stickman talked down to me and you know it!” Melbil winced internally at the king’s unsophisticated language. He had made many efforts to get the king to try and behave more like nobility, but the monarch had always been more of an axedwarf at heart.

“My lord... Okay, fine, Zas, just… He didn’t mean it, all right? He’s human, he couldn’t have known—”

The king roared. “Couldn’t have known? Couldn’t have known what? That I’d take offense to his vulgar human slander? I spend three days travelling on this stupid road, in this stupid sunlight, just to visit his stupid little empire, and he has the tenacity to call our mountainhome ‘quaint’!”

Melbil cringed. He recalled the incident only too well. After a full day in good cheer, Egesh had let slip an innocent comment about how impressive human architecture was. When King Zas had angrily refuted, citing the great dwarven caverns and mountainhalls as superior, Egesh had loosed the Q word. Quaint. It had struck a nerve with Zas, and after some name-calling and a sudden drunken brawl, he had declared that they were leaving immediately. Melbil sighed again. This political mess was going to take years to reverse.

“I’ll tell you what we’re gonna do,” said Zas. “We’re not going to build that fort in the Malodorous Jungle like we talked about.”

“But—sir?!” Melbil blanched. The entire point of the visit was to create a more cohesive and structured human-dwarf defense against the orcs. “Having a military outpost in the Malodorous Jungle is key to the success of our entire defensive ring! Without it, there’s a huge gap for the orcs to pour into the Mountainhome and beyond!”

“We’re gonna build a castle instead.”

There was silence on the wagon. After a good long pause, in which Zas grinned terribly and Melbil’s jaw hung loose, Thob spoke up suddenly. “But… I thought we was dwarves?”

“That’s the beauty of it, yeah? Egesh thinks humans are the best with their towns and roads and outdoorsness. We don’t need another mountainhall, do we? We just need something.”

Melbil pressed his fingers to his forehead. “…So, we’re going to threaten our master plan to keep the Orcs out of the eastern lands just to make a point?” He sighed for the third time in five minutes and decided that it would be best to stop arguing. “Okay, so… a castle.”

“Yeah.”

“Aboveground.”

“Yeah.”

A pause. “What’re we going to name it?”

Zas furrowed his imposing brow. “It’s got to be a stronghold, right? A real stronghold, the kind they had when they fought off that skeletal giant horde back in 5.” He rolled his tongue around the inside of his cheek, mouthing the word. “Stronghold… hm… what to call a stronghold… strong-hold… stroooonghold…”

“Mightygrips?” asked Thob.

“That’s it! Mightygrips. Yeah, I like the sound of that. Mightygrips. Rolls off the tongue real nice. Yeah. We’ll use that.”

Melbil stared at the ceiling. There was certainly no way he was going to talk the king out of this. It would be best if he just accepted it. “Um... Well, so be it, my lord. But there’s one thing still to consider.” Zas turned to eye him. Melbil cleared his throat. “Where are we going to find dwarves mad enough to live in a castle?

---

All right, so I’m starting up a community castle (very loosely) based on medieval Europe – that is, I’ll be mimicking real castle-building techniques as best I can, working out some custom job titles, taking some artistic liberties with dwarven culture, that sort of thing. I’ll be having a lot of fun with the story as well; writing is a hobby of mine and I don’t plan on making ‘caravan came – we bought stuff again’ updates. In terms of the castle itself, I’m adopting a ‘hell with it, let’s put a tower here’ attitude. The more out of hand this gets, the better. Feel free to suggest stuff as well.

Here’s the embark. The mountain is the Beak of Blaming on the volcano The Fires of Confinement, next to the Malodorous Jungle. And yes, I play with a graphic set.

The world I’ve genned is pretty fun – predominantly evil with no civ getting too big and histories riddled with undead cyclops, giant, and minotaur attacks. We've got seven living megabeasts, including a skeletal hydra and two skeletal dragons. As for the embark site – well, let’s just say it took me a few weeks of casual genning to find the perfect one. There’s a lot more there than just a magma pipe… though I’ve already largely forgotten where everything is. It’ll all be found in time.

For any dorf requests, I’d like a name and preferred profession as well as any side notes you’d like me to incorporate. Please, no numbers. And the military is going to work a little differently than normal, so if you’d like be in the military just say so and I’ll work you through from there. It’s not going to be so easy to become a ‘champion’ in this fort.

Oh, and I’ve never played with orcs before.

Let the fun begin!

Chapters:
1. The Depressed Guild of Misery : The first three years, from starting the outpost to the first successfully defended siege. Comprises the first 10-ish pages.
2. Of Knights and Days : Runs from the rise of some soldiers into knights and the beginnings of castle construction to the first risky melee encounter with the spider-mounted orcs. Mostly about years four through seven, and comprises the second 10-ish pages.
3. A Noble Pursuit: Was in progress; abruptly gave out midway.

Fan Art:
Styledstrike the Waxy Prison by Doomshifter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quinn at work by MelloHero.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:24:11 pm by Retro »

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:12:31 pm »

Name: Jyrvus
Profession: Armorsmith/Weaponsmith

He loves to create, and he loves when people use his creations. If his weapons and armor are traded away, he'll grow unhappy and probably lock himself in his room for a while, at least until he gets thirsty.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:14 pm »

I would like a dwarf, please.  Name him Bodark the Magnificient, and make him a proficient mechanic and building designer.

He's an accident-prone mechanic who was imprisoned because the windmills he built grew legs and ravaged the countryside.  When he tried to create a device to help him escape. the whole dungeon block was crushed in a tsunami of querns and he was found, weeks later, in a chest under the Tax Collector's bed.  The incident had the unexpected advantage of destroying the dungeon records, giving him time to sign up for the mission and escape the Hammerer's wrath.

He could perhaps design and build a lot of secret passageways and stuff, but his work is always tainted by a bit of Fun...

Rykue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:44:37 pm »

Count me in

My Dorf

Name: Rykiue
Job: Pro. woodcutter/hunting

hey loves his axe sometimes he takes it out to hunt with him and bring back enough to feed 100 dorfs when he need too. He also is a great constructor, that all he does in his spare time when he's not cutting or hunting.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:58:42 pm by Rykue »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 01:54:12 am »

I think I'll sign up for a stablemaster here. Not sure how much the exotic animal aspect will go with the theme, but the horse stable, and war dog complex should work nicely to start.

Name: Irwin
profession: bonecarver/animal caretaker/butcher/tanner/leatherworker

Notes: The idea is to get an area set aside as some stables, get 1tile restraint pens set up, for example, the pens I usually make:

This is one of my forts with a Giant Jaguar population setup(much better than war dogs imo). The two you see here are each restrained with a chain(probably plant fiber), and closed into that 1 tile by putting the door as non-pet passable(keeps down fps because they don't path while locked in). The outer area contains a cage used to hold cubs or other young until they grow to adults for other usages.

Feel free to do it another way, that's just the best way I've found. Cage traps, embark pets, and elven caravans(for the best exotics usually) are the source materials for a breeding pair. My preference would be something exotic, leaning towards big cats if the possibility arises. I've ran whole forts on this setup and had some really nice breeding pairs. Been trying to get a successful ocean fort and breed things like sharks and whales and walruses and mermaids... >.> ok maybe not mermaids, but that would be fun.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:25:37 am »

Dermonster

Carpenter/woodcutter

MY CASTLE IS GOING TO BE THE CASTLE TO PIERCE THE Z LEVEL!

Needs  two twin towers of wood spiriling around each other by the time the castle is build or will go insane and kill everyone.

8)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:10:36 am »

Name: Gutendorf
Job: Clothier\Siege Engineer

A jolly happy fellow from the other civ who makes clothes and sews the castle's history onto them. He is always seen talking in his strange accent. Gutendorf is thinking about creating a machine that would sew letters and images for him but so far he only managed to create ballistae and to kill accidentally a local noble (thus moving from civ to civ). He knows a bit about masonry too and will be glad to help raising the walls.

also, a pic of him
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:12:36 am by Shintaro Fago »

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:47:42 am »

Name: Julius
Job: Mason, Architect ,Miner
(Seeing as you already have 6 poor bastards dwarves, let me be one of the first immigrants.)

but so far he only managed to create ballistae and to kill accidentally a local noble
He sounds more like a hero than an unsuccessful genius.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 09:52:50 am »

Name: Doom (preferably female)
Job: Peasant (do what you like with her, but preferably mechanic or crafting)

A cheerful, pleasant dwarf that's always seeking to help people, but will personally beat anyone to a bloody pulp if they say they don't like her work.

Also, you've got a very enjoyable writing style ^w^ I can't wait to read more!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:54:24 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Erling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 11:05:02 am »

I'd like to join. As there's no free characters at embark, please, let me be one of first immigrants, if possible.

Name: Ubik. Male.
Profession: Hunter/Marksdwarf (while being an immigrant, his first profession doesn't matter - I'm glad if you'll just give him a chance to use a crossbow).

Grim expression on his face is just a mask for valiant thoughts. He has sense of duty, duty to protect his people in these hostile lands.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:09:20 am by Erling »

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 11:05:27 am »

Name: Randall
any military dwarf if you have any
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:19:39 am »

Name: Sulvor (if male) or Sulvora (if female).

Profession: Military (preferably speardwarf).

Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 02:45:18 pm »

Well! It looks like we've got a good-sized lineup for dorfing already. Jyrvus, Bodark (the Magnificent), Rykue, Irwin, Dermonster, and Gutendorf are all in (and myself, as Quinn), and we've got five dwarfs waiting pending the next migration. Let's kick this story off, then.

---

16th Obsidian, 10~

My name is Quinn Shadowhelms, and I want to go home.

Ambition has gotten me here. When you want to move up in the world, you aim to impress those who are already there. You always have to keep in mind, though, that the people at the top would rather not have anyone else climb up and join them. In my desire to impress, that had slipped my mind. My first mistake.

The king was looking for ‘volunteers.’ To do what, I asked foolishly. I should’ve heard the imaginary quotation marks around the damned word; he practically pronounced them. Melbil, that devious bastard who serves as the king’s mouthpiece, told the crowd that a little expedition was starting up to found a new mountainhall. “We’ll need good, strong leadership,” he said. “It takes guts to start an outpost. The king will be duly impressed.”

So I volunteered. It was only later that Melbil told me the details, while accompanied by several armed guards. He was glad I had offered to lead the expedition. Otherwise they would’ve sent him, I think. I first began to feel a bit uncertain when he mentioned how he had dodged the job himself. The feeling only got worse when he told me the details.

“Well, here we are on the map, and you’ll be following this path here to a little mountainous region here.”

“That’s the center of the evil wilderness.”

“Oh, and you’re not allowed to dig. Any questions?

“We’re not—”

“No? Good! On your way then.”

He had begun to walk away, leaving his armed guards with me. Or watching me, rather. “What if I change my mind?” I called after him.

“Nine hammerstrikes,” he called back jovially without turning around or stopping. “One for disobeying the king, one for each of the dwarves accompanying you who you’ll be letting down, one for being a prick, and one for good luck.”

The armed guard watching me seemed to take on an air of menace. “Uh… I think I left the furnace on, you know, uh, I’ll just scoot back home and switch it off and then—”

“No time! You’ve got a wagon to catch! Good luck, Mr. Shadowhelms!”

So here I am, in the middle of hell, off to build a castle. I’d like to say that I’ve got six companions to keep me company, but they don’t seem to like me very much. I suppose it’s because I’m in charge of the expedition. Though I can already tell they don’t accept me as their leader.

The Depressed Guild of Misery is us. What a lot we have to look forwards to.

Bodark seems to have assumed leadership, and I can’t honestly say I’m that surprised. The dwarf drips with casual charisma. I’ve no idea what made him sign up for this journey. He seems destined for some sort of greatness. Though he seems a bit caught up with himself occasionally; he introduced himself as ‘Bodark the Magnificent.’ Very cocky. Hopefully he’ll let me get about my business with little interruption.

Jyrvus is our weapon and armoursmith, and seems the most well-balanced of us all. He may end up being my only friend here. Thus far I haven’t seem him get worked up over anything; he’s remained relaxed and optimistic. Comes off as a bit sedated, actually. Hopefully we’ll get some metal soon so he can get us well-protected; for now, we’ve got nothing for him to work with.

Rykue came along to hunt wild beasts and refine his axedwarf skills. I’ve been watching the woods and mountains as we journeyed, and I’ve yet to see anything that wasn’t a skeletal abomination or looking like it was a rotten mess about to fall apart. I don’t think he’ll be doiong much hunting. I hope he won’t cause a ruckus when he realizes this.

Irwin’s a bit of an odd fellow. He hasn’t yet said a word to me, or anyone else as far as I’ve seen. He brought along a pack of dogs and some horses and has spent the trek so far mingling with them and running among them. He’s odd… and rather unnerving, to be honest, but he doesn’t seem to hate me yet. I like that.

Demonster hates me already and we’re not even there yet. He’s fine around everyone else; very cheery, bubbly, near child-like. A little loopy, perhaps. I’m not sure what I’ve done to offend him, but he seems to disapprove of me nonetheless.

Finally, there’s Gutendorf. He’s an older chap; very proud, very traditional dwarf – pretty happy, but I don’t think he approves that we’re building up rather than digging down, and seems to disapprove of me for being the administrator behind the whole thing. I suspect he’s not here by choice, either, but there’s no way to tell for certain.

We’re getting close to the Malodorous Jungle. I’m rather spooked already, but at least once we settle down at our location we can build some beds and tables and whatnot. I’m sick of eating on my arse in the sand.

---

Yeah, two updates in and they haven't even arrived yet. Yeesh. They will next time; some actual work will get started then. Once the screenshots are of the game rather than the interface, I'll be able to crop them and stop with the spoilertags as well.

I'll go update the To Be Dorfed list, then I'm out for the day at a family thing. I'll probably start the actual castle sometime tonight.

Finally, here's us:

For reference, the gods of The Fortress of Singing, so you can see what your dorf worships:
Rithol, female dwarf: caverns, mountains, volcanos, earth, war, and fortresses
Shin, male dwarf: jewels
Stettad, female dwarf: wealth
Savot, male dwarf: victory
Nazom, female dwarf: deformity, twilight, dusk
Avol, female dwarf: rulership, consolation
Thusest, female dwarf: chaos
Othud, male dwarf: charity
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:57:15 pm by Retro »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 02:59:19 pm »

I HATE YOU WITH THE INTENSITY OF A THOUSAND BURNING DESERT SUNS.

anyway, good start.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 03:31:33 pm »

No seeds?   :-\
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25